to ask how much booze you drink? Do you drink everyday?

(133 Posts)
countingmyblessings Sat 20-Jul-13 18:50:11

Because I have been drinking Pimm's & lemonade or with OJ everyday this week & am starting to think it's habit forming.

I don't normally drink everyday. Can I blame it on the heatwave? A bottle of wine or two on a Friday night (or every 2nd Fri) is normal for me.

I don't want to turn into a 'non-functional' alcoholic like my BIL. On the otherhand my 85 year old grandmother drinks everyday & I wouldn't class her as an alcoholic and or non-functional.

What would you class as having a drink problem/ being an alcoholic?

Thoughts appreciated please.

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 21-Jul-13 20:40:36

How big are the wine glasses you drink from if 2 or 3 glasses is half a bottle of wine?

Genuine question.

Notcontent Sun 21-Jul-13 20:41:59

I have one glass of wine every evening with dinner - two if I go out, but that's not often. I don't binge, because I don't like how it makes me feel - that initial drunk feeling is lovely but afterwards is not so great.

I do think I should have more alcohol free days but I do look forward to that glass of wine...

squoosh Sun 21-Jul-13 20:44:35

The wine glasses people commonly use these days would give you 4 glasses per bottle.

Old style wine glasses, the kind my parents use and which are getting harder and harder to find will give you six glasses per bottle.

lougle Sun 21-Jul-13 20:47:30

None. Ever.

I don't like the taste of alcoholic drinks, so I would have something with a mixer when I was younger and it was 'expected of me'. Then I realised that 'no' is a complete answer, so I just say I don't want it.

TBH, I even water down J2O because I find the taste too strong hmm

libertine73 Sun 21-Jul-13 20:49:39

Too much, It's something I definitely need to tackle. And yes, most days, with weekends drinking more.

fruitpastille Sun 21-Jul-13 21:23:44

I usually have a glass or two of wine on an evening with a couple of nights off, sometimes mre, s ometimes less. 8 weeks pg now though and must admit I am missing it. I have also had to tell some white lies to avoid drinking with others without telling them why. Not having any has made me aware that I was probably having too much. I future I will stick to one bottlespread over a week as a general rule.

What do you do if a good friends drinks too much?? My best mate reckons she drinks about 6 bottles a week. She is not stupid, she knows she isnt supposed to. She lives alone and has a high powered job plus her family enjoy a drink. We have spoken a bit about it but she hasnt cut down. I worry about her!

mrstigs Sun 21-Jul-13 21:45:56

Don't ever drink at home. Don't see the need. Drink wine on nights out. Had two nights out this year so far and the last one was Friday just gone. I didn't notice how many drinks I had been given (Sat in nice beer garden with a generous friend) and ended up having four large glasses of wine. I could hardly walk home and felt like shit the next morning. grin Won't be doing that again!
I couldn't imagine drinking every night, even if it's not to get incredibly drunk like I was on Friday. I don't think I'd enjoy it. Besides if I drank more wine I'd be drinking less tea and that would be terrible. wink

flippinada Sun 21-Jul-13 21:48:36

Interesting question.

Personally, I hardly drink at all. I used to drink quite heavily in my early to late twenties; always binge drinking on a night out.

Nowadays (late thirties) I only drink occasionally and don't miss it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now