To go camping on my own?

(38 Posts)
Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 17:51:40

I am 29 and like me a bit of fresh air and space. I have booked a tent pitch in a gorgeous bit of Pembrokeshire near a small village and intend to spend a few days reading, snorkelling and walking/running.

My parents still think i am their little girl and have been chuntering that it's not safe, tried to make me stay in a b&b instead.

If it's a campsite in the summer it'll be quite busy, right? It's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere or in a crimewave Ground Zero (unless the village has been suffering from a spate of rarebit-snatching recently).

I've told them.not to worry and i will be fine. Privately, should i actually be rethinking this?

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 20:45:58

I feel i have to bring the tone down by admitting that the book I'm really looking forward to reading is Jilly Cooper's Riders. Haven't read it for years!

KingRollo Sat 20-Jul-13 20:48:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 20:54:06

Just went out into the garden to take the tent down before it got dewy and was surprised how chilly it was! (was just wearing a vest top and shorts though). Defo a fleece situation i think.

I'm not going to manage to run the pembrokeshire coast path am i? I will just be on a patch of grass in front of my tent gripped by Riders and drinking cider...

KingRollo Sat 20-Jul-13 20:57:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittensoftPuppydog Sat 20-Jul-13 21:09:46

Camping is great. People are generally very friendly. Just come back from a trip myself though is was in a van with dog and husband.
Take a hat for the evenings. I know how hot it is but when you've been sitting outside for a while...
Take a chargeable digital radio and listen to stories on r4extra. Lovely lying there listening to a good story.
Have a really good time.

DrDre Sat 20-Jul-13 21:24:48

You'll be fine! Go for it and have fun!

Undertone Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:31

Loving these tips. Any more outrageously lovely stuff i can do/take for myself?

lemontwist Sat 20-Jul-13 22:17:17

Undertone, I'm so jealous. This makes me want to ditch DH and the kids for a couple of nights. Sounds blissful.
I need a stovetop coffee maker. I would just love getting up when I please and brewing a pot of proper coffee then just chilling with a good book.

You need gininatin.

I love camping cooking so I'd spend ages pottering about cooking stuff on the fire and my Cobb. While drinking gin / wine and reading on my kindle. And having naps

<happy sigh>

<wakes up and realises i'm in a house with dh and my sons>

Undertone there's a camping section in travel if you want more tips?

Sounds fab. Enjoy

Jossysgiants Sat 20-Jul-13 22:28:39

Am so envious I am gnashing my teeth. Sounds blissful -have a wonderful time.

TroublesomeEx Sat 20-Jul-13 23:25:50

I'm going camping on my own in a couple of weeks.

Just me, my tent and my guitar (plus a few camping essentials!)

I'm really looking forward to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now