To think it's disgusting to let your dog lick humans' plates

(91 Posts)
Doearwigsmakechutney Sat 20-Jul-13 16:21:46

Scrape the food into the dog's bowl. PLEASE.

I don't care how good the dishwasher is, or how hot the water is, I think it's utterly minging to give a dog the plates to lick. Aibu?

daddoinghisbest Sat 20-Jul-13 23:25:11

It's all disgusting! A dog's immune system seems to cope with the fallout from it sniffing and licking another dogs arse, but to then let it lick your face? Rather you than me!

ProudAS Sat 20-Jul-13 22:43:03

Don't know about dogs but gran's cat licking plates never did any harm!

HeffalumpTheFlump Sat 20-Jul-13 22:39:27

Bluesky - at least it's not a fabric one! I've blown my nose on a paper one before due to an unexpected sneeze... Didn't think it was that awful a thing to do!?

Kitchen - completely agree about the fag ash on plates. Revolting.

Still don't think dogs licking plates is a problem though!

miffybun73 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:29:20

YANBU, makes me feel sick.

Turniptwirl Sat 20-Jul-13 22:26:07

Yabu

It's going to get washed ffs!!!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Jul-13 22:21:43

*licking even.

I must pay more attention when typing!

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 20-Jul-13 22:21:14

Kat

I don't like my own dog liking my face generally never mind doing "kissing". I let her lick my nose and ears but that's only because in many of the dog books I've read (I am sad I know) it says that face licking is a big part of bonding for dogs. My lips? Never on purpose, though she tries and occasionally succeeds <boak>

MacaYoniandCheese Sat 20-Jul-13 22:13:09

I'm OK with it if I know the owners and am relatively certain that the animal in question is well taken care-of and receiving all pertinent veterinary care. I greet most dogs with unabashed delight and have no problem at all with reciprocally effusive canine affection.

Doearwigsmakechutney Sat 20-Jul-13 22:12:57

Just to clarify: I'm not in any way anti-dog; I think they are brilliant. I just think it's horrible to let them share human crockery. Why not just scrape the food into their bowls?

Feenie Sat 20-Jul-13 22:09:41

You do realise the plates are washed don't you? So how is that relevant?

Kat101 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:02:45

So to the dog owners that are quite happy with this, are you still happy if its not your dog? Would you share spit / kisses / whatever with other people's dogs? Or is it just your own?

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 20-Jul-13 21:32:19

God, this thread is an eye-opener.

I had no idea people did this. I assumed this woukd be one of those rare, consensual AIBU thread where everyone agrees. Apparently not. hmm

I am never going to eat at a dog-owner's house again.

Letting dogs lick plates is grim.

Mintberry Sat 20-Jul-13 21:05:29

I think it's pretty gross, my parents always do it... They once turned up at our place and wanted the dog feeding and we obv. didn't have any bowls so had to use one of ours so I just gave it a super good wash with disinfectant as well as fairy liquid!

Roshbegosh Sat 20-Jul-13 20:55:54

Dog spit sterile is it?! Would that be after they've licked their shitty arse?

MummyPig24 Sat 20-Jul-13 20:55:41

Yanbu, it's vile. In laws do it with their dogs. Makes me boak. I wouldn't let my cat eat off my plate either, it's gross.

BlueSkySunnyDay Sat 20-Jul-13 20:53:52

myfirstkitchen - my friend used to blow her nose on the paper serviette in restaurants then put it on the plate wink I always thought that was a bit skanky

froubylou Sat 20-Jul-13 20:50:54

And to horrify you all even further my dp shares a can of fanta with dds pony at shows occasionally.

froubylou Sat 20-Jul-13 20:48:54

Dog spit ain't that bad you know.

If they have a wound they lick it to keep it clean and sterile.

I'd rather share my plate with my dog and then wash it than relive my early 20's when I think about some of theddodgy blokes I may have perhaps kissed!

GemmaTeller Sat 20-Jul-13 20:47:34

Whilst we don't give our dogs the plates or cups, our male boxer likes nothing better than getting the burnt on bits off a roasting tin or baking tin.

I look on it as doing me a favour.

Gobblersknob - a person after my own heart grin
Ratties love nothing better than to share a spot of fine dining with us. I was going to post about my rats licking the plates but was too scared.
thanks

WitchOfEndor Sat 20-Jul-13 20:34:32

I have a dog and don't let him lick our plates because it takes 2 kettles worth of boiling water to remove the almost impenetrable layer of saliva which laminates itself to his bowl.. I love him dearly but I don't want his saliva anywhere near my plates!

MacaYoniandCheese Sat 20-Jul-13 20:28:00

This will horrify some of you...grin

Last week I was running with my dog and it was very hot so I took one of those dog water bottles (the kind with the special attachment for them to drink out of). After she had her drink, I took the lid off and had one too. Amazingly I did not get sick OR die <shrugs>.

lougle Sat 20-Jul-13 20:27:41

I didn't go as far as sharing my icecream, but I did buy one for the dog when I bought some for the rest of the family. He turned his nose up at it shock

I think the weather is messing with his appetite.

myfirstkitchen Sat 20-Jul-13 20:25:46

Disgusting.
I don't care how well the plates are washed.
It's also disgusting when people put fag ash on their leftovers on the plate (my friend does this to stop picking at leftovers). She also sticks chewed up gum, big wads of boogeys and scabs on half a plate of chips if any available.

Wiifitmama Sat 20-Jul-13 20:19:15

My friend's dog climbs into the dishwasher at their house and prewashes all the plates. I need thought much about it. I am usually very squeamish about dirt, germs and animal stuff. But honestly, even now, thinking about it it doesn't bother me. I think the dishwasher cleans them well enough after. I also let the dog have water of of oe of my regular bowls when it visits. Again, I didn't give a thought to it until now. My dishwasher is good and I am sure it cleans well enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now