To have my dog put down?

(53 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:08:05

My dog has spent the past 4 weeks in antibiotics and anti inflammatories due to a lump in her neck, which has a big pussing open wound on the surface. The lump has decreased in size, but she is in a LOT of pain and the wound is not healing. So far we have spent £300 on drugs to try and make her better. She has also lost about 10 kilos!

We took her to the vet this morning and now they are saying she needs surgery, blood work, biopsie, anaesthetic etc which will cost another £1000 due to the difficult location of the lump and that they probably won't be able to remove it all due to nerves and arteries and she will probably need another operation, and definitely need one if it is cancerous.

Our dilemma is, she was booked to be rehomed next week, but obviously no new owner is going to fork out the bill for this and we are going back to Australia, hence the reason she was being rehomed! So basically my husband wants to have her out down, but I'm not sure I can live with the guilt, without trying to get her better first.

What would you do?

WineNot Sat 20-Jul-13 16:10:42

Honestly? If she'd been in pain and losing weight for weeks, I'd have had her PTS already, regardless of rehoming.

GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:11:37

What is PTS?

GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:12:16

She has been to the vet every weekend for the past 4 weeks with us trying to get her better....

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 20-Jul-13 16:12:19

Sorry, I agree with dh. Poor animal is suffering now, can't be rehomed (and rehoming when she's ill would be no kindness either) and presumably can't go with you.

Arcticspill Sat 20-Jul-13 16:12:35

Unless you are going to postpone the move I don't see you have a choice except to have her put down. How old is she? I wouldn't feel guilty about it. It doesn't sound a straightforward op at all and here are no guarantees she will recover.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 20-Jul-13 16:12:51

PTS = put to sleep

Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 16:13:37

I would have had insurance.. but I guess that's no good for your current situation.

How old is the dog? If it's a young dog I think to put it down in these circumstances is very very very unreasonable. That's putting it politely..

I have been in your situation with a stray cat I took in. He'd been with me a month when he ended up with an infection. A serious one. 50/50 chance according to the vet. I couldn't look the poor thing in the eye and say, 'well I can't afford it, so you're going to have to die'

I put the £900 quid bill on my credit card. He's still here happy as larry 6 years later.

If you don't have the money I understand, it's a very difficult situation.

Cheddars Sat 20-Jul-13 16:15:53

Have you asked the vet's opinion? How old is the dog?

GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:16:48

She is 7 years old. We really don't have the money, otherwise we would have paid to take her with us to Oz. I just feel so terrible, but she is in so much pain I think putting her down might be the best option sad

VirgoGrr Sat 20-Jul-13 16:18:06

If the vet understands your position, can they do blood tests etc first to give you an idea of whether she might have a fighting chance or indicate something more serious? That wouldn't be a big outlay and would probably make you feel better about the decision if you have a bit more information.

GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 16:18:32

One vet said that to operate would be too risky to even try, given the location of the lump and if the antibiotics don't work then we need to prepare for the worst (they aren't working). The other vet said she would try and operate, but couldn't guarantee how much, if any of the lump she would be able to remove, she might just do a biopsy....

GobblersKnob Sat 20-Jul-13 16:19:39

With you moving it makes it more difficult, but I faced a very similar situation with a pet rat recently, large infected lump on his neck, which just would not respond to antibiotics alone, he had the op, it cost me a LOT of money, he lived for another five months, but then five months is a long time to a rat.

I don't know what to say, I don't see how you can put an animal down that is curable, sorry.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sat 20-Jul-13 16:22:40

With one vet saying the lump is inoperable, and the other uncertain, I don't think the dog is curable.

crashdoll Sat 20-Jul-13 16:22:56

Regardless of you moving, it sounds like your poor dog is already suffering and very unwell. I know it's hard but it sounds like the best thing to do is let her be put to sleep. sad

Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 16:23:09

Gobbler

That's exactly how I felt with the stray cat I took in, I just couldn't have him put to sleep when I knew there was a chance he would be okay.

If the chance of survival is less than 50% for the dog then I can see how putting him down would seem the best option.

Ask the vets straight for percentages. If only for your own peace of mind.

Poor doggy sad

VirgoGrr Sat 20-Jul-13 16:23:37

You do have to take into account that you cannot explain to an animal why they are suffering, sometimes it is the kindest option.
My dog developed leukaemia and the vet advised that they just can't expose an animal to that level of treatment as it just isn't fair on them. If there's an indication of cancer that isn't readily removable, I think I'd probably say it might be for the best.

throckenholt Sat 20-Jul-13 16:26:04

I think you have given it a good shot - it hasn't mended with 4 weeks treatment and she is not well (losing 10Kg is a lot - and likely to be more than just an inflamed lump).

Don't put her through any more (even if you could afford it) sad

Nottalotta Sat 20-Jul-13 18:24:38

There are worse things for a dog to go through than being pts. You cannot be certain of her future, and can't afford a treatment. It will be worse for you (guilt) than her. As a final kindness have the vet come to your home. Your dog can sit on you while they give her an injection and she will go to sleep. No different than a general anesthetic (for her). It is heartbreaking to lose a pet in any circumstances and i really feel for you and your dog.

poachedeggs Sat 20-Jul-13 18:37:02

You've clearly thrown everything possible at this condition and are at last resort stage. She is suffering. The prognosis is guarded. And dogs have no concept of the future so euthanasia is not a welfare concern for her.

Some people feel that where there's life, there's hope. But for a sentient animal whose quality of life is poor and for whom treatment will involve invasive, painful and potentially unsuccessful surgery, 'putting a potentially curable animal down' is an ethical consideration, not a welfare argument. Dogs don't give a toss about ethics, but they can certainly experience deteriorating welfare.

I'm a vet BTW.

GiveMeVegemite Sat 20-Jul-13 19:29:08

Thanks so much for all your responses. I am absolutely heartbroken at the though of putting her down. I have decided to use another weeks worth of antibiotics and anti inflammatories, clinging to the hope that they might help, but I know I am clutching at straws. If there is still no improvement by next weekend then I will get the opinion of both vets again and then probably put her down if they are still saying the prognosis isn't good, even if they do operate.

I am 29 weeks pregnant so trying not to get too hormonal and upset about it all sad

WaitMonkey Sat 20-Jul-13 19:32:04

Poor doggy. Hopefully the weeks extra medicine will help.

HaPPy8 Sat 20-Jul-13 19:36:19

I would still try and get her re-homed. There may be someone willing to take her on. Poor dog.

Arcticspill Sat 20-Jul-13 22:28:10

Listen to the vet who has posted above ! Let her go and on not account send her to strangers while she is sick, deteriorating and likely to cost them a lot.

GiveMeVegemite Sun 21-Jul-13 09:56:19

I would never let her be rehomed in the state she is in, I know she wouldn't have a chance with anyone else and at least she is comfortable here. I'll give it another week and then decide whether to do the operation or not. Fingers crossed she improves a bit. Thanks for all your comments. I was expecting to get slated, but you have all been really helpful and kind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now