Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To let DD (8) dip dye her hair?

(138 Posts)
cluckyduck Sat 20-Jul-13 15:16:58

Just that really.

She has asked, several times, to dye the ends of her - verrrry long - hair pink or lilac, on the condition that its chopped off sept 1st for school.

Will be no more than an inch but I feel conflicted. Part of me wants to encourage her to be creative and that there's nothing wrong with having fun with your appearance etc (based on my own issues as a child with DM, but that's another story!) but I am worried that people will judge her, and me!

It's the only thing she wants to do this summer and she wants to "look like a superhero"...

Thymeout Sat 20-Jul-13 20:20:05

When I was a child - a loooong time ago - some preteens had perms. Or their mothers wrapped their hair in rags at night to make ringlets. It was regarded as 'common' - presumably the same as 'chav' today. Especially by aspirant working class families trying to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I don't think I'd call them snobbish. I wasn't allowed. Had my hair in plaits till secondary school.

I think being too preoccupied with your appearance was regarded as something to be discouraged.

Hair colour for halloween or dressing up, fine, for a day. But something that's going to last 6 weeks at 8? No - too young.

SaucyJack Sat 20-Jul-13 20:26:13

Your kid, your choice.

My eight year old will not be having it done however.

SirChenjin Sat 20-Jul-13 20:31:18

The schools up here broke up 3 weeks ago. Thankfully it's not a fashion that has taken hold up here amongst young children (with parents enabling it).

DoubleMum Sat 20-Jul-13 20:35:28

I have an 8 yr old DD, and it would be a definite no from me.

ravenAK Sat 20-Jul-13 20:56:33

Quite fancy it for the holidays myself, & I'm a 42 yo teacher.

I'd be fine with any of my dc wanting to do this; valuable life lesson in that the world is FULL of odd people who think that funny-coloured hair makes you somehow incapable of serious work, so it's important to fit the fun stuff in in your holidays, or whilst you're young/old enough to get away with it, unless you actually want to engage with/challenge these people.

Hair grows continuously. Anything anyone does to the last couple of inches of their hair can easily be chopped off 6 weeks later, with no harm done.

It really does strike me as quite a joyous way to celebrate the end of term.

SirChenjin Sat 20-Jul-13 21:08:31

What - literally FULL of? wink grin

ravenAK Sat 20-Jul-13 21:18:54

Perhaps metaphorically rather than literally. I'm permitting myself some end of term hyperbole & general frivolity. grin

SirChenjin Sat 20-Jul-13 21:24:25

A little end of term dizziness is allowed grin

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 20-Jul-13 21:44:15

I wasn't aware that it was popular with young children. I haven't seen anyone bar dd1 with dip dye hair around here. She wanted it because she's always wanted pink hair, ever since she was three and met a lady with pink, purple and blue dreadlocks.

The dip dye became her fascination when Jessie J and a YouTube cake baker/Minecraft player named Cupquakes did it.

I let her this year because she's had a rough year with bullying at school and if it makes her marginally happier, where is the harm? It's only hair. It will wash out/grow back.

BreadNameBread Sat 20-Jul-13 22:21:18

My DDs first dip dyed their hair or should I say I enabled them to do it grin about 8 or 9 years ago. They were not the first in their school to do it. I think it is more popular as the dyes are much cheaper and easily available and they have lovely bright colours
My DDs first had it done at the hairdressers but ever since then we have done it at home.

Icelollycraving Sat 20-Jul-13 22:43:52

I wouldn't. I remember coloured hairsprays,I sprayed mine with a pinky red when I was about 8. My mum went absolutely mad.
There is plenty of time for that,she's only young.

MissStrawberry Sun 21-Jul-13 09:00:26

My only experience of dip dyed hair is on Caroline Flack and I think it looks awful.

My youngest are 8 and 9 and I would not allow them to do it though I am 100& sure they wouldn't want too. I let them have their toe nails painted but while I would let my son have his nails painted I don't like my daughter having them done. Too grown up and therefore looks common in my opinion.

I would judge as the parent letting the child try grown up things too quickly.

My eldest son when about 7 had spray painted hair for comic relief but that was for a day and washed out. It is the dyeing aspect as well for me.

I have been thinking about this and I think teaching children that their appearence is theirs alone and they can play and have fun with it iis a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now