Am ready for a flaming but here goes

(37 Posts)
Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 14:13:18

It's started already started 6 weeks holidays and kids issues!
We live on a new estate and its great ad there are lots of kids for my children to play with. DS is autistic so I'm hoping it helps with his social skills which are poor.
We had an incident last week with a child who was being mean to my DD who is 8. My DS jumped in an called this child the a b**ch.
I spoke to DS about it and computer time was lost. After he calmed down (huge meltdown) he went around to the child's house with a real apology (instead of a forced - I'm apologising because I have to).
I also spoke to the child's mum and explained that although his autism is a reason it's not an excuse.
She came across as lovely and understanding. Fast forward to today. All children are playing but the child lets call her child A is under specific instructions not to let my DD or DS into the garden with the rest of the children off the estate.
I had such high hopes for my DS and last week was the first time I had allowed him further than in front of my kitchen window where I could see him.
I'm not sure i am strong enough to survive the holidays :-(

CockyFox Sat 20-Jul-13 15:04:06

Ds's best friend is autistic, I am happy to have him around our house but he can be hard to handle. So, as wrong as it probably is, if we have DD's younger friends around I ask DS to pick a different friend to invite, as the nature of the best friends problems make him unpredictable.

Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 15:08:55

Ah frouby if it was as easy as just taking him for a walk to help him forget, but it's not. Really it isn't. I don't expect other people to understand and I really appreciated this mum for actually listening to me instead of how people normally behave towards my DS.

Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 15:13:41

Cockyfox, your lovely for giving the child a chance. Despite my best efforts my DS is never invited back but people are quite happy for their children to come here and be taken to the cinema, bowling etc. I just hope my DS can find one or two kids (and parents) who will understand him. It breaks my heart to see him so lonely.

CockyFox Sat 20-Jul-13 15:33:07

My DS's friend only comes here, nobody else will have him. He is a lovely little boy though. I think it helps that DBIL has some sort of problem along similar lines but has never been diagnosed so we are not frightened of it or of DS 'catching' autism or anything else silly like that.

I hope your son finds an understanding friend.

catinabox Sat 20-Jul-13 16:02:00

Micklinge in my area there are summer play schemes for children with additional needs. I know one that have a big group of boys with ASD (High functioning) They are a fantastic group of lads, far more interesting, insightful and fun than the 'mainstream' children.

I would personally be more that happy for your DS to play at my house!

Perhaps you could find a group in your area or even try and set one up. I bet there are loads of other parents in your position all feeling frustrated and isolated that would jump at the chance. You could then at least have a network of understanding parents rather than narrow minded, precious people that don't understand.

Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 16:18:51

Catina - we have tried every scheme on offer in our area and unfortunately the schemes are not tailored to meet an individuals needs. Basically it is a wide variety of disabled children in a room doing arts and crafts. But your idea of setting up a group myself is a great one.
He is high functioning and I think that's why loads of people have trouble getting their heads around his additional needs.

catinabox Sat 20-Jul-13 16:33:27

It's difficult. High functioning ASD is invisible. I am not personally entirely convinced it is always a disability either. It is a difference and the difficulties are compounded by an unforgiving world that doesn't adapt well to anyone that is outside of the 'normal' box. Whatever that i

Yes, those groups don't suit everyone and your DS probably doesn't need to identify his disability in the same way as a child with a different condition (i hate that word)

you could start off with getting some kind of parent support group get-together and then go from there. You can be very specific about what you want. I.e, you could say you want to meet parents of children with adhd, high functioning autism and work out between you what you need. You and DS will feel lots better when you start meeting other parents and children.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 20-Jul-13 16:39:34

I do feel so much for you...but I also wouldn't let an 11 year old boy in to play with my 8 year old if he'd called her a bitch. She's very innocent and hasn't had kids do that type of thing....it would upset me and her...and while I would have sympathy, I just wouldn't put my daughter in that situation again in her own garden...or risk it.

hotbot Sat 20-Jul-13 16:43:15

Ah, one summer does not a swallow make.
Perhaps 11 yr old boys and 8 yr old girls don't mix.
Don't worry, perhaps instead of being taken advantage by the children you could invite mum round for a coffee or wine.
As you are new to area let the kids sort themselves out, why don't you try and make some neighbourhood friends?
Hotbot x x

Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 16:56:04

Kids are in my garden now having a water fight. Child A is not here but they seem to be having lots of fun. :-)

Micklinge Sat 20-Jul-13 16:59:58

Neo- yes I totally get that but not sure what to do when child A comes into my house to play, like she did Thursday.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 20-Jul-13 22:17:09

I wouldn't let her in personally Mick. I'd take her home myself or send her back with the message "Mick says to check if I'm allowed to play at theirs because her DS isn't allowed in ours."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now