To think babies in bikinis is just a step too far?

(88 Posts)
Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 13:12:40

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=400511556708813&set=pb.168291156597522.-2207520000.1374321888.&type=3&theater

I don't get it. I just don't...

Some would say that there must be something wrong with me to not agree with it... but I don't get it, I just think no... not for a baby..

Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 13:13:22

www.babikini.com/

This is the website page..

I do like their one pieces for babies though! smile

Pigsmummy Sat 20-Jul-13 13:15:06

I have pictures of me aged about 2 in a bikini, I don't see the issue tbh. My little wriggle pants is difficult to get I to a one piece so I might consider a bikini for next holidays.

pigletmania Sat 20-Jul-13 13:33:23

That is a horrid bikini! But generally yabvu there are some lovely frilly two pieces for babies that are cute and don't make them look cheap

Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 13:38:45

I think some of the two pieces are lovely too, It's the triangle ones I find a bit... shock

southeastastra Sat 20-Jul-13 13:41:45

i had a triangle one in the 70s, it's just a fashion item. looks cute, that's all.

today is like mn groundhog day lots of threads that always appear this time of year, or have i been here too long wink

gordyslovesheep Sat 20-Jul-13 13:42:25

ahhhh it's just a bikini - would I put my baby in one - no - is it a step too far - meh not really

Whothefuckfarted Sat 20-Jul-13 13:43:17

Maybe I just haven't been here long enough southeast ;)

CheeseFondueRocks Sat 20-Jul-13 13:44:11

I find it disturbing.

picnicbasketcase Sat 20-Jul-13 13:45:46

I wouldn't put a baby or child in one myself. Rather odd to cover up non existent breasts.

southeastastra Sat 20-Jul-13 13:46:02

the pic is the op is def weird though, i had mine when i was a toddler rather than an actual baby

Shrugged Sat 20-Jul-13 13:46:54

I've no issue with the two piece swimsuits (apart from sunburn issues), but the triangular-cut bikini tops, which are versions of the adult cups designed to cover breasts, strike me as inappropriately adult on a pre-pubescent child.

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Jul-13 13:47:16

See, when I read your title, I thought you meant something like this - which, while unbearably twee, is ok and not a step too far.

But having seen what you linked to, I agree with you - YANBU, it is a step (or several!) too far and Just Plain Wrong.

FannyFifer Sat 20-Jul-13 13:47:45

Don't understand the point of the bra top bit of the bikini for little ones.
Covering non existing breasts is just odd.

TheFantasticFixit Sat 20-Jul-13 13:50:18

I don't get it at all. Why would they need the top bit? What on earth is there to cover? Actually I do get it - and it disturbs me.

IneedAyoniNickname Sat 20-Jul-13 13:52:25

Surely the side tie bottoms would be impractical n small children?

KissMyStardust Sat 20-Jul-13 13:52:28

I have an issue with bikinis and flimsy suits on babies and young children purely because I am so concerned with sun safety-the wetsuit type suits you get are fab or stick a tshirt over the bikini so shoulders are covered. There is a lovely swimsuit i have seen for DD but won't be buying it because of this.

miffybun73 Sat 20-Jul-13 13:53:40

I find it disturbing. That picture makes me feel a bit queasy.

Aside from how inappropriate they are on tiny babies - what about 'containment issues'? Would that nasty tiny string-sided bottom hold a poonami?

YANBU, definitely. A more 'substantial' two piece on an older child maybe, string bikini on a tiny baby - no way!

My first though is, how can you put a swim nappy under those bottoms.

Thank god I have a son!

SoupDragon Sat 20-Jul-13 13:54:45

I find it disturbing when people say they think it sexualises the child.

Mintyy Sat 20-Jul-13 13:58:20

I don't find it disturbing, but I can't imagine all those babies are toilet trained. Babies need to be in a swim nappy if in a public place, wear whatever they like once they can control their bowels and bladder.

I don't real,y understand the bra bit, but then little girls wear swimming costumes which are designed to be a handy way to cover your breasts and bum etc; in one piece, so this is really no different to a swimming costume but easier for a baby.

Imagine how uncomfortable it must be for a tiny baby having to lie on that huge knot tied in the back of the bikini top.

JimmysMum1988 Sat 20-Jul-13 14:03:46

I personally wouldn't dress my child in it. Probs would just put her in a swimming nappy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now