Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask if you know what an Eleanor Cross is?

(309 Posts)
HotelTangoFoxtrotUniform Fri 19-Jul-13 08:11:52

Without resorting to google?

I was made to feel a bit of an arse for not knowing what it was last night and wanted to know if my education had been lacking of if the guy was being a smug git. And yes, I know the guy was being a smug git for pointing out publicly that I didn't know, but I want to know if its something I should have paid more attention to at school be aware of.

AIBU to ask you if you've heard of it before? And have you?

Katisha Fri 19-Jul-13 08:13:32

Yes I know. But then there was one in the town where I grew up.

Yes I have. Tbh I'm with the bloke and am surprised you didn't know. There are so many of them and it's such a lovely story!

NotYoMomma Fri 19-Jul-13 08:15:05

nope

Squitten Fri 19-Jul-13 08:15:19

I only know because I'm a history geek.

They were the monument crosses erected along the funeral route of Eleanor of Castille by King Edward I. The only one I've seen is the one outside Charing Cross Station in London

PeriPathetic Fri 19-Jul-13 08:15:27

Yes, I know what it is. But only because my DH told me relatively recently. And he wasn't a smug got about it either.
I think you only really know about them if you live near one. <shrug>

echt Fri 19-Jul-13 08:15:53

Yes, but then I am in my late 50s, which might explain a bit.

Nope, I do now though.

Bumbolina Fri 19-Jul-13 08:16:01

Nope - I had no idea.

lucidlady Fri 19-Jul-13 08:17:58

I walk past the one at Charing Cross every day and had no idea about the story either! Thanks for posting about this, I've really enjoyed finding out about the Eleanor crosses.

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 19-Jul-13 08:18:27

No I didn't.

Having found out now (thanks squitten) I don't feel at all embarrassed for not knowing.

LalyRawr Fri 19-Jul-13 08:18:30

Never heard of it. But have Googled!

& nothernlurker there isn't 'so many' of them. There are 12. And only in the south east /east of England. hmm

Yes, there is one in our nearest town. Not sure I would have a clue otherwise!

Queen0fFeckingEverything Fri 19-Jul-13 08:19:29

Yes, I know. Got taken to see several of them as a child.

VeryDullNameChange Fri 19-Jul-13 08:19:39

Yes - we point the one at Charing Cross out to the DC.

LatieK Fri 19-Jul-13 08:19:45

The guy was being a git. I've made it 31 years without ever hearing of them. I'm well educated, but haven't lived in any of the towns where there is one (just googled it!)

MalcolmTuckersMum Fri 19-Jul-13 08:20:07

No idea - until 3 minutes ago!

crispsarenotoneofyour5aday Fri 19-Jul-13 08:20:38

Nope - but do now! grin

12 with the final one in a part of London with a huge clue in the name. I think that's plenty. The problem is that too many people leave 'history' to 'geeks' and forget to listen to stories.

VeryDullNameChange Fri 19-Jul-13 08:21:31

...but I wouldn't be shocked that someone doesn't know - I'd say it's a 10% answer on Pointless max.

(I watch a lot of pointless so I have an accurate sense if what the GBP does and doesn't know).

Eyesunderarock Fri 19-Jul-13 08:21:52

Yes, I know.
But then that's one of my areas of expertise.
He was being a smug git if he made you feel embarrassed by the lack of knowledge, the most he should have done is been a bit surprised and told you.
There will be basic things that you know that he hasn't a clue about.
There always are.

FannyMcNally Fri 19-Jul-13 08:22:00

It's probably the only thing he DID know. What an arse for making you feel stupid, it's not something you learn at school. I only learned about them when I worked in the same town as one.

monkeymamma Fri 19-Jul-13 08:22:19

I do. But only because I used to work near charing cross.

And didn't somebody or other say, no one can make you feel inferior without your permission. The guy is still being an arsehole to make you feel stupid.

curlew Fri 19-Jul-13 08:23:34

Yes I do. Bit I don't think it's the sort of thing you would expect everyone to know, and he was a smug git.

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 19-Jul-13 08:23:51

Yes I do but only because I saw something about them on television about 10 years ago, prior to that I had no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now