To think bananas are evil?

(66 Posts)
LittleMissGerardButlerfan Thu 18-Jul-13 09:51:45

Those stringy bits on the sides make me shudder, and the texture when it goes all squishy in your mouth, and the little bits at either end 😮

<runs away screaming>

ANormalOne Thu 18-Jul-13 09:53:39

OH MY GOSH, you're the first person I've met who agrees with me!

This'll probably out me if anyone I know is on here, I don't just dislike bananas I actually have a phobia of them, the taste, the smell, the skin, they all make me boak. envy

I hate them with a passion.

Bowlersarm Thu 18-Jul-13 09:54:06

YABU

Yum yum. Although I'm not fond of those stringy bits either.

ruby1234 Thu 18-Jul-13 09:57:29

Apparently (read it on here) if you open them from the 'wrong' end, you don't get the stringy bits.

RockChicken1 Thu 18-Jul-13 09:57:33

YANBU I hate bananas with a passion! It's the texture that does it for me too, eugh!

Tittypulumpcious Thu 18-Jul-13 09:59:59

Agree, the only way I can eat them is mashed up with peanut butter on toast!

SisterMatic Thu 18-Jul-13 10:01:25

Vile evil fruit.

TroublesomeEx Thu 18-Jul-13 10:02:49

I used to love bananas but I haven't eaten one since the banana bug thread!!! shock

LastTangoInDevonshire Thu 18-Jul-13 10:07:07

Don't come to my house every evening then, because I will be eating banana and yoghurt as part of my slimming diet !!

JazzDalek Thu 18-Jul-13 10:09:43

YANBU, for all the reasons you describe! They make me feel sick! I have never eaten one except for when I was little and my mum sneaked some into pancake batter angry I never trusted her pancakes after that.

And for those who say "well if you've never eaten them, how do you know you don't like them?" - it's the texture! Vile. My kids adore them but I have to wash my hands after peeling them. Just...yuck grin

Buzzardbird Thu 18-Jul-13 10:11:10

The monkeys know how to eat them. They are very good for warding off low moods too.
My DD and DH get through about 20 a week!
More summers like this and I could save a small fortune growing my own.

DressMe Thu 18-Jul-13 10:13:23

YANBU.

Horrid, horrid things. I can't even be in the same room as someone eating them.

FondantNancy Thu 18-Jul-13 10:15:08

Came on to say what FolkGirl said. That thread had me running screaming from the fruit bowl.

Feminine Thu 18-Jul-13 10:18:34

I actually used to feel like this.

For whatever reason I no longer do, and quite enjoy them confused

They have to be quite firm...and I have to take small bites! wink

ANormalOne Thu 18-Jul-13 10:20:15

I never know where to look when someone is eating a banana. grin

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 18-Jul-13 10:28:41

Read the title as bandanas not bananas, had to read the first few replies until I cottoned on to what the bloody hell you were talking about.

I love bananas, but hate the stringy bits and the black bit at the end.

burberryqueen Thu 18-Jul-13 10:31:06

bananas are disgusting and so is the banana industry.
not on my shopping list for years now.

HoldingHigh Thu 18-Jul-13 10:32:55

I love bananas too. However, a cousin of mine hates them. He had one when he was 6 and had a poo accident in school. He put it down to the banana and has never had one since. I have a friend who loves them completely black before she opens them.

NoComet Thu 18-Jul-13 10:34:28

YANBU

DM used to point accusingly at a stain on the sofa. She said that was me chucking mashed banana about instead of eating it. She says I've always hated them.

Erato Thu 18-Jul-13 10:45:53

I think they smell like vomit, I can't stand them.

NatashaBee Thu 18-Jul-13 10:51:10

YANBU. Vile, evil things.

exoticfruits Thu 18-Jul-13 11:04:23

I love them- one of my favourite foods and I have one everyday.
They contain tryptophan which converts to serotonin which is a happy mood brain neurotransmitter. It is an essential amino acid. That is only one thing they are good for- I am not going to write the rest it would take too long! It is a very cheap, easy and enjoyable way to get it.

cozietoesie Thu 18-Jul-13 11:07:32

Banana bugs ?

shock

Technotropic Thu 18-Jul-13 11:14:32

Pah, stringy bits.

No such thing if you know how to 'open' a banana properly and like a civilized human being wink

I say open as they should not be peeled, not if you don't want stringy bits lol grin

Not a banana-fan.

DH cannot buy them singly - we need one for a lunch box once maybe twice a week. But always end up with a bunch of 5 going over-ripe. I find a whole banana is too much for squishing onto toast, and I get terrible banana burps after eating one. I do try freezing them to make ice-cream, which is OKish. But I'd happily live in a banana-free world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now