Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Not to feel any sympathy towards this person?

(32 Posts)
SameDifference Thu 18-Jul-13 01:26:15

Guys I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. I would like the 'mainstream view' on a recent post. Please read this and tell me whether I am being unreasonable.

samedifference1.com/2013/07/17/body-integrity-identity-disorder/

On a disability group I have been called judgemental and discriminatory but given my reasons for my opinion I feel I am entitled to a little judgement.

Pigsmummy Thu 18-Jul-13 23:48:22

I hope that she is sectioned or some intervention happens very soon. So I guess I do feel some sympathy in that she is a danger to herself.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:50

Yabu sorry.

I feel very sorry for her. I also think carrying out the operation would be unethical.

MrsLouisTheroux Thu 18-Jul-13 19:35:37

skin : So basically you think your physical disability trumps her mental disorder? Nice.

Yes, that. Exactly.

YABVU OP

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Thu 18-Jul-13 18:00:27

Yet another example of how mental illness is not seen as a true illness unlike anything physical. How hard is it to understand people with a mental illness don't choose it? The same way someone with a physical disability or illness doesn't.

TotallyBursar Thu 18-Jul-13 17:46:34

YABVU.

You can have your feelings of course, however repulsive anyone else might find them, but that's all they are - your subjective feelings they are not so worthy or imbued with any significant specialness that they trump others or medical diagnosis. I'm with everyone that called you discriminatory.

Saidar Thu 18-Jul-13 17:43:56

"She has a mental illness but instead of trying to help her overcome it her doctors are going to paralyse her? Wtf?! It's like giving liposuction to an anorexic! Er, no, the job of medical professionals is to help not harm!"

The risks this woman is taking with her safety could result in worse than paralysis. I'm sure her doctors have seen a lot more than a few newspapers if any such decision was reached. From what I understand she will have to go outside of the UK to have the procedure she wants.

I would rather see someone help her with managing her mental disability, but I would hate to see her kill herself in her wish to be disabled physically.

kali110 Thu 18-Jul-13 17:27:16

I was angry when i read that story. I have mobility problems which means i need to take 3 different painkillers for the pain, plus 3 other pills to counteract the side effects from those, i would love nothing more than to wake up and not be in pain for one day. I also have had mental health problems since i was 17. I really hope she does not get this surgery. She needs her mental health problems sorted.

Turniptwirl Thu 18-Jul-13 17:00:25

She has a mental illness but instead of trying to help her overcome it her doctors are going to paralyse her? Wtf?! It's like giving liposuction to an anorexic! Er, no, the job of medical professionals is to help not harm!

justmyview Thu 18-Jul-13 14:18:42

This sounds like a tragic story. I have sympathy for Chloe Jennings. Her ailment may be mental health rather than physical, but none the less serious for that

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Thu 18-Jul-13 14:08:54

I was simply expressing a personal opinion on her case and by placing it in a forum like this one, hoped that others would do the same.

And they did. But you didn't like some of those opinions. Now you've started a thread about that. And people are expressing opinions about your thoughts that you don't seem to like.

Are you going to start a further thread about that?

gordyslovesheep Thu 18-Jul-13 14:07:11

it's not disability top trumps - she is mentally ill - this is her disability - sure she doesn't give a shiny shite if you sympathise or not

MidniteScribbler Thu 18-Jul-13 14:04:51

Blogging does not mean that every thought that enters your head needs to be put online.

Any sensible person would stop and think "who could I hurt by writing this?".

SameDifference Thu 18-Jul-13 13:54:38

Thanks Helen at MNHQ. I will keep that in mind and try to make my posts look less like spam in future.

MidniteScribbler- she wouldn't have had an effect on my life. I was simply expressing a personal opinion on her case and by placing it in a forum like this one, hoped that others would do the same.

To me, that is the point of blogging.

ANormalOne Thu 18-Jul-13 10:34:05

I don't think it's a good reason at all, actually.

MidniteScribbler Thu 18-Jul-13 10:32:00

SameDifference - can you tell me honestly what effect this woman will have on your life personally? How will she impact you? If she said nothing publicly and just went and paid for the surgery, coming home telling people she had an accident on holidays, would you even know? Would it be detrimental to your life in way?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 18-Jul-13 10:29:02

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RoseFlowerFairy Thu 18-Jul-13 10:28:09

I think the Woman who wants to cut her spinal cord has her own cross to bear, she has a history of body issues, having undergone gender surgery in the past. I feel sad for her.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-13 10:23:10

Morning. Thanks for your reports about this thread.

Just to clarify one thing: we don't think SameDifference is spamming by linking to her blog.

For those who might not know already, we've recently changed our rules about bloggers linking to their blogs on Talk.

We do agree, though, that the OP could maybe have phrased her OP in a way that would have made it less likely for other folk to jump to the immediate conclusion that it's spam/self-promotional. We'll drop you a line, SameDifference, to explain what we mean in a bit more helpful detail.

whois Thu 18-Jul-13 09:48:58

Seems like you've got a chip on your shoulder OP. if tr woman wants so desperately to be in a wheelchair can you imagine the level of disordered thoughts and unhappy was she's going through? I'd take physical disability over mental health problems any day.

Skintorama Thu 18-Jul-13 09:39:46

So basically you think your physical disability trumps her mental disorder?

Nice.

HatieKokpins Thu 18-Jul-13 09:37:24

"Chloe Jennings and anyone else who thinks this way clearly has a mental disorder. But based purely on my own life experiences, it is very hard for me to feel sympathetic towards anyone who thinks in this way"

YABVU towards people with mental disorders. Hope that helps.

newestbridearound Thu 18-Jul-13 09:31:34

I can completely understand your frustration and anger towards her given the circumstances. Her sentiments are always going to provoke strong reactions given what it is she wants to happen to her. But as someone else who is disabled and occasionally has to use a wheelchair/can't leave the house etc I just feel terribly sorry for her- she has a recognised mental health issue and clearly needs some psychiatric help.

SameDifference Thu 18-Jul-13 09:25:45

"My own opinion was that there was no point in doing the blog. You're not going to change the woman's circumstances, or her mind."

I wasn't trying to. Only expressing an opinion.

"do people with mental health issues not deserve sympathy?"

Of course they do. But there are good reasons why I can't feel sympathy for this particular mental health issue. I have explained all these in the post.

ANormalOne Thu 18-Jul-13 08:49:13

You are being unreasonable, do people with mental health issues not deserve sympathy? Or do you only deserve sympathy if you have a physical disability?

MrsLouisTheroux Thu 18-Jul-13 06:55:36

She has obviously got mental health problems.
Why would you be unsympathetic?
sick and tired of 'if a disability isn't physical and you can't see it, it ain't there' brigade

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now