Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Not to feel any sympathy towards this person?

(32 Posts)
SameDifference Thu 18-Jul-13 01:26:15

Guys I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. I would like the 'mainstream view' on a recent post. Please read this and tell me whether I am being unreasonable.

samedifference1.com/2013/07/17/body-integrity-identity-disorder/

On a disability group I have been called judgemental and discriminatory but given my reasons for my opinion I feel I am entitled to a little judgement.

kali110 Thu 18-Jul-13 17:27:16

I was angry when i read that story. I have mobility problems which means i need to take 3 different painkillers for the pain, plus 3 other pills to counteract the side effects from those, i would love nothing more than to wake up and not be in pain for one day. I also have had mental health problems since i was 17. I really hope she does not get this surgery. She needs her mental health problems sorted.

Saidar Thu 18-Jul-13 17:43:56

"She has a mental illness but instead of trying to help her overcome it her doctors are going to paralyse her? Wtf?! It's like giving liposuction to an anorexic! Er, no, the job of medical professionals is to help not harm!"

The risks this woman is taking with her safety could result in worse than paralysis. I'm sure her doctors have seen a lot more than a few newspapers if any such decision was reached. From what I understand she will have to go outside of the UK to have the procedure she wants.

I would rather see someone help her with managing her mental disability, but I would hate to see her kill herself in her wish to be disabled physically.

TotallyBursar Thu 18-Jul-13 17:46:34

YABVU.

You can have your feelings of course, however repulsive anyone else might find them, but that's all they are - your subjective feelings they are not so worthy or imbued with any significant specialness that they trump others or medical diagnosis. I'm with everyone that called you discriminatory.

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Thu 18-Jul-13 18:00:27

Yet another example of how mental illness is not seen as a true illness unlike anything physical. How hard is it to understand people with a mental illness don't choose it? The same way someone with a physical disability or illness doesn't.

MrsLouisTheroux Thu 18-Jul-13 19:35:37

skin : So basically you think your physical disability trumps her mental disorder? Nice.

Yes, that. Exactly.

YABVU OP

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:50

Yabu sorry.

I feel very sorry for her. I also think carrying out the operation would be unethical.

Pigsmummy Thu 18-Jul-13 23:48:22

I hope that she is sectioned or some intervention happens very soon. So I guess I do feel some sympathy in that she is a danger to herself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now