To think this calls for a celebration!? - Same-sex marriage to become law by next week!

(269 Posts)
ANormalOne Tue 16-Jul-13 21:54:59

Linky

I'm actually crying I'm so happy right now!

This calls for a large class of wine to celebrate!

McNewPants2013 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:25:49

not that

Lilka Wed 17-Jul-13 22:30:43

I'm lesbian.....and so so happy today smile

manicinsomniac Wed 17-Jul-13 22:37:15

It is good news but I do wonder if banning churches from performing same sex marriages is actually a step backwards I know they have never been allowed to do it but many churches, especially the more traditional C of E types (rather than charismatic free churches), have been in favour of it and would have welcomed being allowed to.

I'm another one delighted (although I'm hmm it hasn't been more highly reported).

I think my straight marriage feels even stronger or more legitimate now that the mere fact of our respective sexes is irrelevant.

A civilly partnered friend of mine proposed to her wife again today. I'm not sure whether they can but I had a lovely little sob about the public proposal.

<hankies>

Wbdn28 Wed 17-Jul-13 23:05:25

It's good news. Agree with manic that a blanket ban within churches isn't helpful though.

thatstoast Wed 17-Jul-13 23:47:10

I think the plan is if you already have a civil partnership you can pay a fee to have it become a marriage. I'm not sure if a further ceremony is needed.

Bumpotato Wed 17-Jul-13 23:52:23

This is great news.

I'm not gay and of the gay people I know I'm not sure if any of them are itching to get hitched. However, when I see anyone on my telly bumping their gums with ridiculousness about why there shouldn't be same sex marriage it makes me very pro same sex marriage.

tigerlilyboo21 Wed 17-Jul-13 23:54:42

I'm so thrilled, everyone in our house did a dance for joy!

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:00:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

It makes me really happy to know that my dad can get married and I will have a real stepdad. I don't know why it's any different to his partner being my stepdad already, I just love the fact that I could have an OFFICIAL one. smile

manicinsomniac Thu 18-Jul-13 00:05:59

Why do you think that Golliath? I'm genuinely interested, not having a go.

I was brought up to think that being gay was a sin but, as I got older, that made no sense to me.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 18-Jul-13 00:08:13

Great! I'll raise my bedtime brew grin

As a married heterosexual, I feel that the status of marriage has been enhanced by this move.smile

The thing about the churches - I reckon it was a pragmatic way to cut through the Gordian knot the CofE was bound to tie itself into over the issue, which could have blocked progress for years - you only have to look at the mess they made of the women bishops issue to see that.

Joined recently, Golliath? Only I see you've only posted 3 times on MN, all within the past 15 minutes.

Why does it bother you so much that THE GAYS can get wed?

GrimmaTheNome Thu 18-Jul-13 00:14:25

>a blanket ban within churches isn't helpful though
there isn't a blanket ban within churches - only the CofE and CofW. The RCs of course won't be opting in any time soon, but some other denominations eg the URC are in favour - and are also of an ecumenical bent so I'm sure will be glad to perform this service for couples from other churches.

By the way, Golliath, "lemming" is not an antonym to "bigot". Just so you know.

slightlysoupstained Thu 18-Jul-13 00:18:20

<ignores trollbigot & raises glass of wine >

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:19:52

MANIC: I just genuinely believe that somethings should be the way they were intended in a old fashion view. Im not religous or old, and without getting deep into this which im sure will offend someone have my own strong ideas on what is right or wrong. Just my opinion

Bumpotato Thu 18-Jul-13 00:23:33

Who intended? We're all here by virtue of a Big Bang accident millions of years ago. Nothing is intended. It's all random.

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:26:10

Meerkat: Just so you Know it wasnt intented to be an antonym: Whats it matter when I joined and how many posts ive made, you the net police or something or are you making referals to something else cos i dont agree with your views.

Lj8893 Thu 18-Jul-13 00:26:16

Golliath, I don't see how you can make such a strong statement and then not back it up with something other than "just my opinion". Please give us your reasons that helped form your opinion.

Congrats to anybody out there that is now able to be married!!!! smile

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:27:23

You believe random, I believe set. lets leave it at that.

OK, I am prepared to wade in, just for the sake of interest and getting things said that need saying...
<rolls up sleeves, spits on hands>

Golliath do please expand on your reasons for holding your very interesting opinions.

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:29:43

Instead of me justifying my reasons for my opinion why dont you tell me why your pro

Lj8893 Thu 18-Jul-13 00:32:37

Equality.

I don't need to say anymore about why I'm pro, that says it all.

Golliath Thu 18-Jul-13 00:36:47

Interesting, your view summed up in one word, so was mine, it was just different to yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now