To ask for your help with this ridiculous problem

(48 Posts)
monkeymamma Mon 15-Jul-13 21:36:05

DS 18m has tonight decided he cannot go to bed without his sun hat on. It sounds cute but it's driving me insane - obviously I don't want him to have it on in bed because it doesn't really stay on (is one of those madchester bucket style jobs) and I fear will suffocate him in the night. But he made such a big fuss (think banshee screaming wailing kicking shouting screeching) I had to capitulate and let him wear it. Snuck in 10mins ago to extract the hat from sleeping DS and it was caught under his head, woke him up in the attempt. Cue 10 minutes major meltdown. I had to give in yet again (yes I feel terrible about this) because the way he was carrying in I thought he would injure himself/lose his voice/cause the neighbours to think something awful was going on.

Now he's sleeping, triumphantly, with the hat on. How on earth do I get it off him? And how does anyone survive the terrible twos, assuming that is what this is?

FrogsGoWhat Mon 15-Jul-13 21:37:46

DD has on several occasions insisted on sleeping in wellies..... just give it a good 30 mins before you attempt retrieval! grin

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Mon 15-Jul-13 21:37:54

Just leave it. It's unlikely to wrap itsf around his face and form an airtight seal

OHforDUCKScake Mon 15-Jul-13 21:38:13

I have a 2 yo and if he wanted to sleep in his hat id just let him.

I wouldnt worry about suffocating. Its no different from having a comforter in bed, just that this item is hat shaped.

Smartieaddict Mon 15-Jul-13 21:39:20

I would let him have his way with this. A hat is no more likely to smother him than his bedding is, and is it really worth the fight. I think you will get through the terrible two's by picking your battles, and now is the time to start.

PatsyAndEddy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:40:23

It is cute!

He'll be fine, pop in and take it out in an hour

Oxen Mon 15-Jul-13 21:46:23

dd is 2.8yrs and she sleeps with wellies on / hats on / every one of her books in the bed etc

Every night before I go to bed I pop into her bedroom and take off the wellies / hat etc.

It'll be fine, choose your battles is a very good piece of advice imo

monkeymamma Mon 15-Jul-13 21:46:30

Thanks fellow mnetters! I think I worry unduly about the suffocating thing. That's a good point about the comforter - he has never wanted a soft toy in bed or enjoyed snuggling any of his blankets so its usually just him in his sleeping bag (tonight it's just him, his nappy and his hat!)

Good to know this is not the battle to pick - I felt like an idiot for letting him keep it on but honestly 'bedtime' tonight has gone on long enough!

PatsyAndEddy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:49:21

Take a photo! Not for us, cute as it would be, but for keeps. You'll laugh about it for a long time. I've just had ds2 and ds1 loves hearing about all the silly things he used to do.

intheshed Mon 15-Jul-13 21:49:39

I think I would pop in when you go up to bed- it's likely to have fallen off by then if he's as wriggly as my DC!

You could then pop the hat on one of his teddies and claim they stole it when he was asleep grin

Trills Mon 15-Jul-13 21:50:07

YABU

Itchywoolyjumper Mon 15-Jul-13 21:50:52

DS aged nearly 3 wouldn't be parted from a t-shirt the other day, it wasn't worth a day long tantrum so I just let him trail it about with him and liberated it from his vice like grip after he fell asleep. Like Smartie says, pick your battles.
As for surviving the terrible twos DS's great gran was telling me about some of the humdingers of tantrums her kids had. She told me just to grit my teeth and wait for it to be over. She's 82 so I think it might be good advice grin

youarewinning Mon 15-Jul-13 21:52:04

Count yourself lucky - most parents have a problem keeping the hat on their LO's heads grin

FadBook Mon 15-Jul-13 21:52:43

Dd went to bed with her bucket and spade from the beach on Saturday night grin

I pick my battles with her. This one wasn't worth arguing the toss with even though there was bloody sand everywhere

Wildwaterfalls Mon 15-Jul-13 21:56:05

Just posting to say that's soo cute! Nappy & hat smile

Or wellies!

Can't wait for that phase..

lunar1 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:57:17

For 8 months ds1 took a sealed bottle of food colouring and a tea spoon to bed every night. I think the world would have ended if I took them away

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 15-Jul-13 21:59:54

I'd have definitely left him but my DD took a toy saucepan to bed last week so I'm in a poor position judgement wise.

monkeymamma Mon 15-Jul-13 22:38:09

The food colouring and teaspoon is the best one! Maybe he will grow up and be on masterchef?

PatsyAndEddy Mon 15-Jul-13 22:40:43

My 7 year old is cradling an AK47 right now. Plastic of course.

WafflyVersatile Mon 15-Jul-13 22:50:33

My DN got a verucca on her foot. No one angry was allowed to touch the toenucca. angry so they took to putting bazooka on it after she went to sleep. She took to wearing socks in bed. hmm

TeWiSavesTheDay Mon 15-Jul-13 22:55:27

grin

Very sweet.

I am a mean mummy because my kids always seem to pick something I have to tale away. It was apples with DD - went on for months, she got used to the idea that she could carry them around all day but not to bed (i was scared she might choke).

valiumredhead Mon 15-Jul-13 22:55:42

Ds used to wear wellies and sleep under an umbrellahmm

numbum Mon 15-Jul-13 22:59:12

Santa hats, wellies, fairy wings, sun glasses...all ok to wear to bed at the same time grin

If you're that worried I'm sure you can remove the hat after half an hour

UniS Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:29

Watch it with the food colouring.... My mum thought I would be fine in bed with a packet of gravy granules I was cuddling on the way back from shopping.... I was fine, until I woke up, opened the packet and redecorated my cot and bedroom walls with gravy powder and dribble.

monkeymamma Mon 15-Jul-13 23:14:00

We (well DH) finally retrieved the hat! Hooray!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now