to request work for my son while hes off school

(19 Posts)
notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:58:37

Thank you englishteacher. In going to try & speak to the head tmw at least to ask why they didn't have the courtesy to reply.

englishteacher78 Mon 15-Jul-13 20:51:01

If preparing for 11+ make sure he's reading lots (including a bit of 19th century fiction) and try some comprehension tasks - www.teachit.co.uk has some.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:48:48

Thanks for your replies.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:48:15

Yes I have been doing things with him but I don't know what they have been doing specifically. At least if I knew the topic I could do some work with him on it to reassure him that he's not missing much.

WaitMonkey Mon 15-Jul-13 20:43:35

I've had this trouble with my primary aged ds. It took weeks to get any work out of them. Yet there up in arms if people take their kids on holiday during term time. Then they are bothered about the children's education suffering -- nothing to do with Ofsted at all--. hmm

Hulababy Mon 15-Jul-13 20:42:38

Unusual for the school to not send work if asked for, even if just some links to revision sites or some photocopied sheets.

If he is doing 11+ next term, why not google? There are lots of past/sample papers online that you can print off.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:39:32

It's really frustrating. I have been doing everything I can. He's stuck in & has apps to help but he's been crying today because he misses school. He has asked for work & wants to try & go back in before the end of termhmm

starfishmummy Mon 15-Jul-13 20:34:56

In the same situation except it has been longer for ds. Teacher said she didn't know who arranged for the home teachers to come in and has done nothing to find out...... Formal complaint is on the way

phantomnamechanger Mon 15-Jul-13 20:33:59

is he sitting the 11+ then? if so there are countless free papers to download/practice online, as well as stuff you can buy.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Mon 15-Jul-13 20:33:14

It is a legal duty and you Yanbu. We got asked for work for a student that was off today in briefing.
He's probably not missing much but they should still send work and if he's bored, perfect opportunity to catch up on some work.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:30:20

I have to stay at home with him as he's not allowed out. He really misses school. We are in a grammar school area & they are still doing work as they have their 11plus the first week back.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:27:58

I don't think they will be doing much but just wanted something to keep him going. He is going crazy being stuck indoors in this weather. At least if I knew what topic they had been doing, I could help him do something.

soverylucky Mon 15-Jul-13 20:27:36

Chances are he has done or missed the end of year exams, the reports have been written and he is probably not missing that much. You should have had a reply though. I hope he is better soon.

so on balance thats a YABU

I think they are probably wondering why you asking for work when school is just about to break up for summer and none of the children in school are doing any work either as its all sports days and end of year trips/ parties.

I doubt the teachers have been doing much lesson planning at this time of year as they have also been writing reports for gazillions of children - they would probably be having to set work specially for your DS.

Education isn't just about set work - its about so much else. It will probably do your DS some good to be bored witless - thats the best times for children's imaginations to be set free. Perhaps set him a task of planning all the things he wants to do when this two weeks is up!

Why are you sending DH to complain if you are the one bothered by it?

trinity0097 Mon 15-Jul-13 20:20:28

How old is he? What operation has he had? Does he have access to a VLE where he can get work/assignments?

(And in this hot weather near the end of term do you think that much real quality work is happening? Nothing worth catching up on goes on in my classroom in the end of term - curriculum activities, but not of the learning new things, just consolidating)

englishteacher78 Mon 15-Jul-13 20:16:37

Most odd. I wouldn't have been able to send work a month in advance but when he was off I would try and send some - usually via the student's email

cornypony Mon 15-Jul-13 20:07:44

YANBU
How unprofessional of them.

notnagging Mon 15-Jul-13 20:06:49

My son had an operation last week. I notified the school & requested work about a month before he left. No reply. I sent a message through the school receptionist again no reply. I then sent a letter to the headteacher saying how disappointed I was that they had not replied & could she make sure work was set. Again no reply! I rang the school & the secretary said they did get the message & thought it was strange they haven't replied. My son is not allowed out for 2 weeks and is going crazy at home.
I don't understand why they wont send anything? I don't think Im being unreasonable & I thought the school had a legal duty to educate if a child cannot attend school? Im thinking of sending my dh in tmw to have a word.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now