to think that low fat Philadelphia, low fat Mayo, low fat butter etc are all really rank?

(64 Posts)
Mintyy Mon 15-Jul-13 12:49:02

Had a tuna mayo sandwich made with Hellman's Light yesterday. Had the usual black pepper and squeeze of fresh lemon. But I could taste the difference (and I don't even use much mayo in tuna mayo)!

Yuck.

AudrinaAdare Mon 15-Jul-13 20:59:27

I have been trying to explain this to my parents for years, especially when DC were small, why I didn't want thrm to be given endless healthy hmm treats. Mum was a fan of low fat and low sugar for decades. She has dementia and diabetes, the first possibly caused by all the aspartame and the second aggravated by the fructose in lighter low-fat options. She's now in a care home on a high protein high fat diet.

lottieandmia Mon 15-Jul-13 21:01:32

Well I eat Hellman's Lighter than light mayo - I really like it and even my children do.

Mayonnaise is sooooooooooo fattening that it's impossible to stay thin if you eat it full fat (same as butter).

lottieandmia Mon 15-Jul-13 21:02:19

* I buy full fat for the children but they seem to prefer the low fat stuff anyway.

lottieandmia Mon 15-Jul-13 21:06:06

Low carbing does work too, especially as you get older but the only reason it works is that you are cutting out a lot of calories by cutting out all carbs. And the downside it is causes bad breath. Having said that I eat a low carb diet but don't omit carbs altogether.

gordyslovesheep Mon 15-Jul-13 21:06:37

YANBU I only have full fat and butter in this house - non of us are fat btw

We only eat 'full-fat' versions here and full carb then wonder why I could do with losing weight

I bought Muller Light yoghurts by mistake the other day, and they tasted truly awful. It tasted like the time DD was sick in my mouth when she was a baby. Like half digested milk <boak>

fatlazymummy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:18:38

I like lighter philadelphia (or equivalent), full fat butter and I no longer eat mayo. I find it unneccessary.
I find full fat milk absolutely disgusting,and so do my kids. I don't really like cream though. It's semi skimmed in our house.
I personally don't like fatty foods that much though I do eat a fair amount of cheese - being vegetarian.

We only have normal food in this house. No low fat nonsense. No one is at all overweight.

Mintyy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:35:41

lottieandmia - its not impossible to stay thin if you eat full fat mayo. That is a daft thing to say.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 15-Jul-13 21:40:20

Heinz light mayo is much nicer I think.

caramelwaffle Mon 15-Jul-13 21:41:08

Yanbu.

mrsjay Mon 15-Jul-13 22:14:14

Mayonnaise is sooooooooooo fattening that it's impossible to stay thin if you eat it full fat

well if you dont eat loads of it you can stay thin I eat full fat stuff I hate butter though so use flora and Im healthy as I can be blood pressure fine weight within range blah blah , lowfat can be a con imo and I think llow fat is banged full of sugar and sweetners which turns into fat

BIWI Mon 15-Jul-13 22:27:59

lottieandmia - that's nonsense! Fat does not make you fat. And a low carb diet is actually higher in calories than if you were to do a low fat and/or low calorie diet. In the main because the fat content is much higher.

And the bad breath is a temporary side effect in the first few days whilst the body is adjusting to it.

defineme Mon 15-Jul-13 22:33:43

I really like skimmed milk and low fat cream cheese type stuff-I like quark!I alsolike low fat yoghurt- I know all yoghurt is actually low fat, but I like natural low fat yoghurt-the full fat stuff seems to stick to my tongue and be a bit cloying. I find them far more refreshing than full fat versions.
However, low fat mayo is vile-I'd rather have a vinagrette type dressing if I was avoiding high cal mayo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now