to think issues like maintenance, the cost of living in 21st century Britain and housing costs should be addressed first rather than making marriage more attractive in tax breaks?

(27 Posts)
kim147 Sat 13-Jul-13 07:50:23

Just been looking at the Gingerbread statistics for single parents.

www.gingerbread.org.uk/content/365/Statistics

No surprise that finances and arrears of bills are the biggest issues. The cost of just surviving in 21st century Britain is horribly expensive, especially when looking after a child and childcare is taken into account.

Doing that on a part time salary and no maintenance must be incredibly hard.

But instead of trying to address these real issues which affect child outcomes in life, the Government is obsessed by a tax break.

50% of married couples separate by the time a child is 16. Will a tax break help or should Government work on ways to ease the financial pressures on single parents trying to survive the costs of society?

ConferencePear Sat 13-Jul-13 15:57:43

Cloudsandtrees it does indeed take two to make a baby. However, if you are a regular on these boards you will know that, thanks to the uselessness of the CSA, many single mothers are owed thousands of pounds by spiteful absent parents.
Some people here seem to think that working single parents get some extra state help - they don't. They also lack a partner to take up the slack if their child/ren is/are ill and they simply cannot be ill themselves.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sat 13-Jul-13 18:09:15

I agree with everything you say Dahlen, except about the HB cuts.
We need rent control in the UK, not cuts in housing benefit.
Our LA has cut the HB twice. Rents, at least of family houses, have not gone down at all, and the competition for the few affordable houses is fierce.
I don't see why married people should get tax breaks. After all, they already each pay 50% of what I pay for everything-energy, rent, childcare, water, media services.
I was discussing council tax with a married friend and she said I was lucky to get the 25 % discount.
Hmm, yes, but I still pay on my own more than her share of their council tax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now