To be so angry and upset by this?

(179 Posts)
babyperks Wed 10-Jul-13 23:21:07

One of my college friends was talking about booking her wedding for either next August/September. I was really happy and excited for her, and looking forward to her big day.

Then tonight I find out she's booked it for the same date as mine and OH's anniversary, when she knows full well that it's our day. angry

I am so angry and upset about it, but don't know if I'm overreacting?

So, AIBU?

Hopasholic Thu 11-Jul-13 00:06:10

Tell her the only way you can possibly come is if you can renew your vows at their service and invite your friends and family.

You could also sabotage the wedding photos with a banner saying 'IT WAS OUR DAY FIRST angry'

grin

softlysoftly Thu 11-Jul-13 00:07:47

I totes get your pain! My friend got married on our anniversary the bitch sad

Now every year when she posts her "so much on lurrvvee on our anniversary" Facebook updates I go "oh fuck we forgot our anniversary again" and feel a bit bad for a nanosecond day.

That's what you meant right?

ladymariner Thu 11-Jul-13 00:08:04

I thought that too piffy

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Thu 11-Jul-13 00:09:25

One of my fellow MNers talked about starting her first AIBU thread soon. I was really excited for her, and looking forward to her first thread.

I just clicked refresh and find out she's started a thread on the exact same topic as I did - a year ago! She knows full well this is my topic - mine and OH's in fact.

So, AIBU?

The answer OP, is god yes, I hope you can see why.

OhTiger Thu 11-Jul-13 00:09:50

Go in your wedding dress.

DaemonPantalaemon Thu 11-Jul-13 00:13:40

OP, I feel your pain. My sister had the nerve to give birth ON MY BIRTHDAY! She could have chosen any day, but she chose MY BIRTHDAY!

And then I found out that my new neighbours actually got married on my son's birthday. Okay, he hadn't yet been born, he was born ten years after their wedding but the nerve of it! But think about it, my son's birthday is their wedding anniversary!!!

But this is the final straw: my sister had another child ... on my husband's birthday.

The nerve of some people. I am totally with you. Not.

Balaboosta Thu 11-Jul-13 00:14:42

Amazing. A unanimous YABU! Is this some kind of MN record or is there still time for a dissenting voice?

littleblackno Thu 11-Jul-13 00:33:57

Look orward to the AIBU thread about a couple who came to a wedding and he gave a speach uinvited as it was their day!!!

littleblackno Thu 11-Jul-13 00:34:16

*forward

FannyFifer Thu 11-Jul-13 00:37:05

Really?! I couldn't even tell you when my friends weddings were.

Yabvvvvvvu

LemonPeculiarJones Thu 11-Jul-13 00:40:43

Whoa......!

YA sooooooo BU!

If this makes you angry and upset, what the hell do you do when have real problems?!

Astonishing.

Turniptwirl Thu 11-Jul-13 00:43:07

Yabvvvvu!

Especially may-September when everyone seems to have weddings (no idea if its statistically true but it seems like it !)

Don't bother going if you're gonna be a bitch about it. Stay home with your beloved and gaze adoringly at each other for 24 hours and not a minute more or less because it is YOUR DAY

Devora Thu 11-Jul-13 00:44:53

There are no words to express my bemusement.

I started reading the thread thinking, what kind of social revolution is going on that means people now are expected to know and care about their friends' anniversaries?

I am relieved to see from the rest of the thread that I didn't miss that memo grin

WafflyVersatile Thu 11-Jul-13 01:01:19

A friend of mine had a 1st anniversary party. I didn't deliberately forget, my crap memory was entirely genuine but I do suspect my opinion that it was utterly ridiculous to expect people to mark a whole year of someone else's marriage subconsciously contributed to my forgetfulness.

BreadNameBread Thu 11-Jul-13 01:10:27

Sorry but here is another YABU. You really are.

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 11-Jul-13 01:16:11

Awe ffs get a grip. It's your poxy anniversary, which means nothing to anybody else. You really expect the world to respect one day because of you? Grow up. Actually, are you sure you're old enough up be married?

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 11-Jul-13 01:18:08

If I really wanted to be honest I'd call you a thick, spoiled bint. As I'm not, I'll try not to think it.

PeriodMath Thu 11-Jul-13 01:19:03

"Doesn't mean I can't be upset about it."

I'm afraid it does. How on earth will you cope with the ups and downs of life, relationships, friendships etc if this is all it takes to upset you?

It is NOT your day. It's a date on the calendar shared by us all. Your wedding has been and gone. Marking your anniversary is for you and your DH and no-one else. You are being outrageously precious and immature.

And this is coming from somebody who can be a tad sensitive and over-reacty herself at times wink

KobayashiMaru Thu 11-Jul-13 01:37:11

god, really? Well that takes the bloody biscuit

Just when you think you've seen every type of self-involved, bizarre behaviour, there's always more on mn.

libertine73 Thu 11-Jul-13 01:46:41

Turn up in your wedding dress grin

yup, unreasonable as fuck.

Sunnysummer Thu 11-Jul-13 02:17:13

Yabvvvvvu.

FirstStopCafe Thu 11-Jul-13 02:24:37

YABU

ChasedByBees Thu 11-Jul-13 02:28:47

Huge huge HUGE overreaction. Even to be a little miffed is an over reaction. And to say she was a close friend? Weird.

She won't have given this a second thought. And that's normal.

When/how do you think it will be a problem? If you and your DH decide to throw a party to celebrate 10/15/25 years or whatever, it's v unlikely to be one of those landmark ones for them too.

JeanPaget Thu 11-Jul-13 02:30:45

You sound insane.

Burmobasher Thu 11-Jul-13 02:42:16

Ha ha, really? I didn't realise you could own a date. In that case you should go and shout "I OBJECT" at the lawful impediment bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now