Oh dear think was a bit unreasonable but now not sure if I should apologise??

(93 Posts)

Last night neighbours across the road from us (very quiet little street) were working on their classic motorbike and revving it really loudly. Obviously windows open due to weather and this is about 20yards from our bedroom windows. We live in a bungalow and it was so loud you couldn't hear the tv at normal volume etc. It was past 7pm and we have 2 dc's. At about 7.30ish DH went out and asked how long they would be as it was keeping DS1 awake (2 1/2), they said sorry mate, we'll stop. Anyway they carried on for another half hour so at 8 I went out and politely asked them to stop revving the motor as Ds1 was upset and tired and Ds2 (5 weeks) was screaming by now. they said sure but lo and behold within 10 mins started again. Got to about 9pm and I lost it.
I stormed out the house (in my nightie I must add!) and shouted that if they didn't stop revving the f**** engine I would wrap it round their f**** necks!
They looked very shocked and stopped, I stormed back into house.

Now I don't think I was BU in asking them to be quieter late in the evening in a family area. However I never, ever swear!! DH was really shocked as he has never heard me shout or swear - I just lost it and for that I think I was BU. In my defence I have a 5 week old baby and DS1 was really upset so I was very mad but still..... should I apologise? They are our neighbours and though we don't really have a relationship with them I don't want animosity??

atrcts Thu 11-Jul-13 09:34:06

Ps - forgot to say they were not being fair to tell you they would stop, but then fail to do so. Very poor behaviour, have to say. But that's a different issue! ��

BeCool Thu 11-Jul-13 10:29:09

great result - and a very nice apology from neighbour. it sounds like you may have made new friends smile

pictish Thu 11-Jul-13 10:51:25

Oooh what a happy happy result!
Great!

And THAT is why it is good to hold out an olive branch in these situations. Better to get along than not. Does it really matter who sets the ball rolling (though in this case I'm glad it was them) - so long as it does.

Lizzylou Thu 11-Jul-13 13:19:12

Fantastic Yellow, I am so glad it all turned out well smile

holidaysarenice Thu 11-Jul-13 17:19:29

Half past seven!!! YABU!!

And I bet they thought you would be a complete wanker if they said sorry we'll be a while yet.

The world does not revolve around your very special ickle wickle kids!!

krasnayaploshad Thu 11-Jul-13 18:30:42

OP,
Great result & YANBU anyway. For those saying it was OK for the neighbours to be making noise as it was only 7pm, I assume they didn't read the sentence stating you couldn't hear your TV!
Kids or no kids, it is unacceptable for neighbours to be making so much noise in the evening that everyone else can't have enjoyment in their homes.
Er, holidaysarenice the thread has moved on. Read the OP's update & there was no need to be so rude.

Mehrida Thu 11-Jul-13 18:56:24

Glad it worked out well OP.

Can't believe some people think that sort of behaviour is acceptable.

Moxiegirl Thu 11-Jul-13 19:16:13

Ah that's nice smile
And revving would piss me off if it was non stop over two hours whatever time of day and even if it wasn't keeping my children awake!

aldiwhore Thu 11-Jul-13 19:19:31

Many a great friendship has started with unreasonableness on both parts. Great outcome.

SoleSource Thu 11-Jul-13 19:36:52

YABU for continuing to worry over a pair of prats.

Do not apologise x

SoleSource Thu 11-Jul-13 19:37:47

Oh bugger!

Debsndan Thu 11-Jul-13 20:06:35

Great result! <warm fuzzy>

Glad it worked out well OP. smile

CalamityJ Thu 11-Jul-13 23:00:30

Great outcome. Well handled OP

Pimpf Fri 12-Jul-13 22:51:50

Fantastic outcome all round.

whois Sat 13-Jul-13 00:17:46

I would apologise for loosing my temper. Also, if they are normally quiet and considerate you don't want to cause a fall out over one night of noise.

Whothefuckfarted Sat 13-Jul-13 08:59:07

YWNBU

Mia4 Sat 13-Jul-13 10:58:13

YANBU, they were taking the piss and fobbing you off. Revving bikes is very irritating, we get one outside the house who does it for hours-fucking irritating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now