Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To peg my washing out over night

(209 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:11:23

I am new to this, but as I am saving any way I can to get out of debt ASAP I bought a washing line. ( saved £7 this week by not using the tumble dryer)

So do I peg out my washing tonight.

I have! I won't have time in the morning and it will probably be dry by the time I get back from school run

stargirl1701 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:13:18

Yes.

CecilyP Wed 10-Jul-13 20:13:26

I do, though others exclaim in horror about it. I haven't lost anything yet!

mrsyattering Wed 10-Jul-13 20:13:45

I do it, if the forecast is dry smile

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:14:23

Not worried about it getting stolen only if it smells funny and having to wash it again.

notapizzaeater Wed 10-Jul-13 20:14:46

Always do it - more time at night than in a morning

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Jul-13 20:14:48

I wouldn't. Probably irrational, but it's up there with leaving the curtains closed as Common Things You Don't Want The Neighbours To See. Maybe it's down to spending so much time with Grandma as a child.

M0naLisa Wed 10-Jul-13 20:15:02

I've got some washing out there now, i think it would be dry, it went out at 5pm. I just cba to bring it in lol Il prob do it in half hour or so. If not it will stay out overnight!! il be bummed if it rains though cos i need majority of it to go into suitcase lol

YANBU, give it a go, I have just brought last night's load in & will be pegging out another lot in about 1/2 anhour.
I never seem to have time in the morning.

Gottalovecosta Wed 10-Jul-13 20:16:33

YABU.
I am slightly OCD about washing. blush I couldn't leave it out all night, what if it smells funny? I take it in.

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:16:37

No time in the morning I have to be out by 6am for work.

Amazinggg Wed 10-Jul-13 20:16:45

I thought it got damp and stinky if you left it out overnight? I don't give a toss what my neighbours think so will watch this thread intently.

Go for it. It's very satisfying to be able to put away a clean and dry load early in the day.

NorbertDentressangle Wed 10-Jul-13 20:17:10

I do.

Sod those that think that women who hang out washing over night are good for nothing slatterns! In fact, until I read it on MN I had no idea that it was frowned upon in some circles.

DeathByTray Wed 10-Jul-13 20:17:21

If you are not bothered about possible insects / spider webs to deal with in the morning, go ahead.

Mine is out now and will stay out overnight. I'd left a note for DS1 to put the washer on and peg out washing before I went to work this morning.
I think he did it 5 minutes before I came home so it's still very damp!

Why would it smell funny?

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Wed 10-Jul-13 20:17:56

Defo do it. Thinking it's common is totally outdated imo. People are busier nowadays and were all for the environment and all that jazz, yah?

Onetwo34 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:18:33

Why would it smell? Warm summer air doesn't smell at night!

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:18:51

Insect don't bother me.

heronsfly Wed 10-Jul-13 20:19:08

I've just put some out, it will stay there till i get home from work tomorrow,if it rains it will just stay there until it drys again Im common grin

Wolfiefan Wed 10-Jul-13 20:19:12

I used to but we moved and bats come out to play in the evening. I don't want batshit on my washing!

EmpireBiscuit Wed 10-Jul-13 20:19:39

Ive never tried it. Why would it smell funny?

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:19:45

I really don't know why, as I said I'm new to this

I do if I don't have time in the morning. If this makes me common so be it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now