to be disappointed that she let my DD burn...

(108 Posts)
momb Wed 10-Jul-13 15:20:39

my Dd is 8 and has never had sunburn, until this Sunday.
We were at a music festival over the weekend and were all hatted, creamed and wearing shirts.
When we got home DD went to call for her friend next door and was invited in. 2 hours later she is home crying because her back is bright red and really hot. They had been playing in the paddling pool and had stripped down to their knickers. I have no issue with them playing in the water, but if they were over here I'd put shirts on them and/or smother them in cream.
I'm very disappointed and actually quite cross with my neighbour. Am I being unreasonable?

JamieandtheMagicTorch Fri 12-Jul-13 16:02:29

"it wasn't a playdate she had gone to play with her friend next doir and its an entirely different thing. If someone calls round to play with one of my dd then they are playing together I am not looking after the child nor am I responsible for them"

jacks

You are responsible for the other child. Morally and legally

TheSmallPrint Thu 11-Jul-13 09:20:56

How on earth is it the OPs responsibility if she wasn't there nor informed about the paddling pool. My children are 'old enough to know about suncream' but quite frankly they would most likely say they had it on if it had been put on their arms and face earlier. I would never let another child strip in hot sun, I would offer a rash top or t shirt for the paddling.

xylem8 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:15:24

also , as others have said, to burn and the sum burn come out and be painful all within a 2 hour period is unusual.

xylem8 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:13:47

I wonder if she asked her whether she had sun cream on teh child said yes, because she had-but not on her back.

Slipshodsibyl Thu 11-Jul-13 08:53:44

Terms of the occasion not 'cost'

Slipshodsibyl Thu 11-Jul-13 08:53:20

Oh dear goodness. All this nonsense about litigation and the exact terms of the cost. If you have an 8 year old in your house , common care,, respect and courtesy surely means you need to take basic, simple steps to protect them. How can anyone argue otherwise? I am deeply thankful for the friends and neighbours my children have been blessed with given some of the replies here.

ILikeBirds Wed 10-Jul-13 20:57:00

What time of day was this? (you mentioned being out earlier)

It wouldn't occur to me to think about sunscreen beyond 3.30 in the afternoon but i notice up thread someone talking about applying it after school

CubanoHabana Wed 10-Jul-13 20:45:48

I think neighbour may have asked and op's dd has said yes, as she did have it on (albeit, arms, legs, face) not thinking that neighbour meant all over. Both have made a mistake... It's unfortunate but no one is to blame. Chalk it up to an experience.

KobayashiMaru Wed 10-Jul-13 20:25:13

Show us one case of a neighbour being sued for putting sun cream on a child. Or not doing. Or anything even remotely similar.
I'm betting you can't. I call bullshit.

jacks365 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:07:08

Slipshod it wasn't a playdate she had gone to play with her friend next doir and its an entirely different thing. If someone calls round to play with one of my dd then they are playing together I am not looking after the child nor am I responsible for them.

I do smother my dcs whole bodies in cream under their clothes too. I use a once a day formula so I can happily forget it and not worry if they change or have thin tops on etc, its easier all round than worrying about missing bits.

Slipshodsibyl Wed 10-Jul-13 19:42:01

The body, I live overseas. I don't live on a different planet. I do understand schools and childminders have to follow strict rules. This is a play date. Surely if someone is that concerned about litigation, s/he would leave the child in a t shirt, check verbally about allergies or otherwise take better care? Its Just common sense.

formicadinosaur Wed 10-Jul-13 19:06:14

If the child was playing at mine I would have stuck sun cream on her but text mum diary to check for allergies.

thebody Wed 10-Jul-13 18:55:59

Slipshod, obviously living abroad for the last 18 years you have absolutely no idea how litigious Britain has now become.

Defiantly no way should anyone apply sun cream to anyone rises child unless parent gives permission.

As a TA and an ex CM this is fundamental to your policies.

KobayashiMaru Wed 10-Jul-13 18:50:01

Any slip or fall could, at a long shot, result in death. Honestly, cotton wool kids or what?

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:50:48

I supervise ds aged 7 and dd aged 4 on the bath.

katydid02 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:48:30

Yes...our road is much the same but I know if my DC are at another house in a paddling pool.

IsabelleRinging Wed 10-Jul-13 17:44:52

My dd is almost 8, and yes, I wouldn't be out of earshot when she is in the bath, especially as she is fond of pretending she is a diver and totally submersing her entire head and body. My dd and her friends are complete nutters around a paddling pool, running, jumping etc. It is possible to drown in shallow water, although that needs to under the water is the nose and mouth. It is unlikely, but a slip or fall which knocks them unconscious could result in drowning. Better safe than sorry.

KobayashiMaru Wed 10-Jul-13 17:41:20

Why would an 8 year old need supervising around a paddling pool, most of which go up to their ankles?The deepest might go half way to their knees! What on earth do you think an 8 year old is going to do themselves in that?
Do you supervise them in the bath too?

YANBU.

If a child came into my garden to go in the paddling pool and was not wearing anything, I would ask if they needed suncream. I think the adult has more responsibility than the child, that would be the adult that is WITH the child?

Would everyone be saying that if the OPs child had gone round to her (eg) father's house and returned burned? I don't think so. They would be saying the dad has a responsibility to make sure the child is creamed up. I don't think it's different with someone else's child - you can always say no and send them home after all!

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:36:27

Maybe I am just over protective then.

IsabelleRinging Wed 10-Jul-13 17:36:11

8 years old is still very young for them to know exactly when and how often to apply sunscreen without adult reminders and supervision. The least your neighbour could have done is to check with your dd if she had suncream on when she removed her top. Surely 8 year olds need supervising around paddling pools?

TheToysAreALIVEITellThee Wed 10-Jul-13 17:32:18

I honestly wouldn't supervise an 8 y/o in a paddling pool.

Unless the paddling pool was actually floating in the English Channel.

TheToysAreALIVEITellThee Wed 10-Jul-13 17:30:41

OK. An actual pool is pretty deep and would be dangerous to leave an 8 y/o completely unattended whilst they were playing in it.

A paddling pool is the opposite of the above.

Jamie - By the same token the neighbour didnt know that the child didnt already have cream on, or that OP hadnt already just lathed her DC in it. I know that kids do all sorts of things that can't be predicted. Which is why if my DC goes to someones house I send them with cream or pop round to check they have got enough on, or ask the other person if they would mind checking my DC has got enough on.

soverylucky Wed 10-Jul-13 17:28:43

She was next door so you should have made sure she had cream on. YABU

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:27:22

Some paddling pools I have seen are deep.

I still think an 8 year old need supervision around a paddling pool in the garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now