Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have a newfound respect for Dustin Hoffman?

(38 Posts)

After seeing this ?

I found it very touching to see someone 'get it'

mrsjay Tue 09-Jul-13 17:29:15

i saw this on facebook but my speakers are broken what is it about

shellandkai Tue 09-Jul-13 17:33:13

"WOW" a man finally gets how us woman feel. I have always liked him but now I like him, and respect him even more smile

AntsMarching Tue 09-Jul-13 17:34:03

That was really moving. Thanks for sharing smile

NumTumDeDum Tue 09-Jul-13 17:35:21

Well that was interesting, thank you for the link. I have never seen Tootsie. He is of course right, and I think that this need to be beautiful that he describes makes so many women so very miserable. You can only ever work with what you have. It is a form of brain washing which is so built in to our society that it is difficult to point the finger and say, you - you stop it. It affects men and women, but I would say in my opinion it affects women disproportionately.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 09-Jul-13 17:35:55

That's so interesting, and very moving. He's a decent chap, I like him a lot.

mynameisslimshady Tue 09-Jul-13 17:37:20

Thank you so much for sharing. I found that really moving.

YouTheCat Tue 09-Jul-13 17:42:45

Lovely man and very honest in how he had previously perceived those of us not so blessed in the looks department (and I include myself in that).

I have always liked Dustin Hoffman. Seems like a nice bloke.

HairyGrotter Tue 09-Jul-13 17:52:35

I saw this earlier and was blown away by it. He put the message across perfectly and in a truly heartfelt manner. This needs to be seen by millions

piprabbit Tue 09-Jul-13 17:57:38

I would be very interested to know if, having had his epiphany, he now actively engages with women who are not "beautiful". Has it actually caused him to modify his behaviour and include more of these women in his life?

Euphemia Tue 09-Jul-13 17:57:40

What a man!

I would too pira I think that the fact those emotions are still so strong for him 31 years later would indicate that it's certainly had a powerful effect.

mrsjay I will probably be very inarticulate but basically he says that he can't consider Tootsie a comedy because after he was transformed into a woman he wasn't happy about how attractive he was and felt that as an intelligent and interesting person he would have more to physically draw people to him. Through this he realised this is how he's been brainwashed to feel about women and regret how many intelligent and interesting women he has never taken the time to know as they don't fit societal norms of attractiveness. He becomes quite teary when talking about it.

miffedatthis Tue 09-Jul-13 19:39:52

Interesting stuff - from a male point of view - someone who is not attractive or has any kind of status at work, I would feel uncomfortable talking to someone who is considered "beautiful". At school and in life, no one like that has ever approached me or shown any interest in me and I would think there's no point even trying to talk to them as they would not be interested even in a friendship.

It works both ways - but I did find someone who does not consider herself attractive but who I was very much attracted to as a person who I fell in love with. It was not her appearance that attracted me to her but her personality.

It's hard.

landrover Tue 09-Jul-13 20:16:06

Ahh it brought tears to me too x

Eyesunderarock Tue 09-Jul-13 20:20:57

It says a huge amount about his own sense of honesty though. He'd obviously seen himself as the liberal, righteous defender of minorities and civil rights that he is. A Good Egg.
Then he had that image of himself shattered and instead of blustering, or rationalising it, he looked very clearly at his own assumptions. However distasteful that was for him, or uncomfortable.
I'm more impressed with him than before.

foslady Tue 09-Jul-13 20:29:43

You've put it perfectly Eyesunderarock - and thank you OP for sharing

onedev Tue 09-Jul-13 23:04:47

Agreed Eyesunder - you put that so well & thanks Op for sharing.

Quangle Tue 09-Jul-13 23:25:46

Gosh. Amazing. Clearly someone who thinks and carefully observes his own feelings. Love him.

Nanny0gg Tue 09-Jul-13 23:46:16

He's always been my favourite actor and I love watching him on chat shows and suchlike because he's so interesting.

But I really was impressed by that interview. Shame he's pretty much alone in his views.

LadyBeagleEyes Tue 09-Jul-13 23:53:02

I've always loved Dustin, he's always seemed more intelligent and deeper than most of Hollywood.

NapaCab Wed 10-Jul-13 00:32:23

I heard an interview on the radio here recently with Dustin Hoffman and it changed my view of him too. He was talking about how he always avoided action movie roles as he never wanted to be required to glamorize gun violence or shoot a gun (apart from a couple of movies where it was a comic thing). He described how he had once been threatened at gunpoint early in his career and how terrifying it was. He said that action films make guns seem trivial and he disagreed with that.

I was very impressed with is honesty and morals.

NapaCab Wed 10-Jul-13 00:33:45

'his honesty' that should read

TylerHopkins Wed 10-Jul-13 01:11:59

Thought what he said was really interesting but the way he was stifling laughter at some points made me feel a bit hmm. Felt a bit PR stuntish.

mercury7 Wed 10-Jul-13 01:21:39

great video!
mind you I'm surprised that a bloke would think he'd look good as a woman (I realise that's a side issue and not the point of the video)

mummylin Wed 10-Jul-13 01:30:45

He wasnt stifling laughter, he was trying not to cry !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now