To think addressing your unborn child/newborn baby/child who can't read on fb is strange?

(106 Posts)

I'm new to FB. I was weak and gave into family and friend pressure to have an account for events and groups I belong to. I find many elements totally bizarre (outright racism, sexism and general twattery) but try to steer clear/defriend members who partake in that behaviour. What I can't escape us generally level headed, normally sound friends or family who address their offspring (born and unborn) as a status e.g today someone directly addressed their one year old saying 'Happy Birthday X, one year today since you let up our lives. We love you the world over blah blah blah'

Is this a new custom? I haven't addressed the Gertrude clan when its their birthday unless 2. They can read 2. They have a FB account. AIBU to find these status' odd or us it very normal?

oreocookiez Tue 09-Jul-13 21:08:52

Fb is complete garbage. It is mostly self indulgant posts by people who want others to think they have an oh so amazing life. Id rather phone my mates for a chat, visit and meet up. Fb 'friends' are mostly not friends. People posting to their babies are doing it so people will say ahhh isnt that sweet. YANBU you are just normal! X

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Tue 09-Jul-13 21:16:28

yanbu

FunkyNails Tue 09-Jul-13 21:16:52

YANBU I have a friend who has set up pages for her kids (with fake birthdays obv) she will check in with photos our day at the beach then tag her DDs 2 and 10 weeks! That seems odd but to be fair sometimes nice to see and certainly not the most annoying of offensive thing I
I have seen on Facebook. The one that annoys me is people posting football comments Come On my team" like oh yeah they'll win now you posted that I don't mind if its along the lines of discussing the game and starting an actual conversation just the pointless "My team rule" from grown adults.

Fuzzysnout Tue 09-Jul-13 22:08:36

After the cryptic posters, the most pointless are those who post those stupid pictures / memes about how wonderful it is to have a daughter & put 'share if you love your daughter'. Always gives me the rage - who doesn't love their kids FFS & if you want to declare your love for them, bloody well tell them, don't copy some pointless shite from fb.

exoticfruits Wed 10-Jul-13 06:38:11

These posts about 'FB being garbage'- 'self indulgent posts' etc always make me smile. It isn't FB - it is the people you choose to have as 'friends'- quite clearly they are not friends! Prune it down to real friends- lots of people have more than a hundred and probably don't have the remotest interest in the majority of them.

cerealqueen Fri 12-Jul-13 10:02:58

I wish there was a like button for that comment Fuzzysnout!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now