Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think addressing your unborn child/newborn baby/child who can't read on fb is strange?

(106 Posts)

I'm new to FB. I was weak and gave into family and friend pressure to have an account for events and groups I belong to. I find many elements totally bizarre (outright racism, sexism and general twattery) but try to steer clear/defriend members who partake in that behaviour. What I can't escape us generally level headed, normally sound friends or family who address their offspring (born and unborn) as a status e.g today someone directly addressed their one year old saying 'Happy Birthday X, one year today since you let up our lives. We love you the world over blah blah blah'

Is this a new custom? I haven't addressed the Gertrude clan when its their birthday unless 2. They can read 2. They have a FB account. AIBU to find these status' odd or us it very normal?

AllYoursBabooshka Mon 08-Jul-13 17:30:40

But that's nice, isn't? Someone saying their child lights up their life.

I like nice things.

AllYoursBabooshka Mon 08-Jul-13 17:31:02

However posting AS your baby is slightly creepy.

phantomnamechanger Mon 08-Jul-13 17:31:53

I think it's odd too - odder still is the way people address dead friends and relatives.

Mum its been a year since you left us, love you and miss you. RIPxxx

its attention seeking, and it has replaced simple talking ie telling a friend youre a bit down cos its a difficult anniversary - no, paste it on the WWW instead

AllYoursBabooshka Mon 08-Jul-13 17:37:06

Isn't FB one big hub for attention seeking though?

It's a look at my photo, like my post twirlathon.

Posting as your baby is strange.

But I like messages to children. They make me smile that there's this little child out there who's loved so much.

phantom, a lot of people do that.

so you know what. Its not attention seeking, and FUCK YOU.

combinearvester Mon 08-Jul-13 18:08:00

Even worse than people who post as their baby...people whose profile picture is their baby/children.

Women of the UK - reclaim your identity!

AnotherWorld Mon 08-Jul-13 18:15:04

YANBU

It is not normal. It's bizarre.

These are the people I delete or hide on FB.

themaltesecat Mon 08-Jul-13 19:02:36

My husband's Facebook profile picture is of our baby daughter. What's not to love? She is far better looking than either of us, and it's rather comical reading his belligerent, middle-aged, Telegraph-rustling rantings accompanied by a picture of a tiny little girl in a bobbly jumper with a pink satin bow on her head.

Snoot Mon 08-Jul-13 19:03:37

I find it entertaining when you get someone who over shares, sometimes to the point of getting banned by FB. Labour pictures, posts about their stitches, breast feeding photos with everyone looking knackered and hardly coping, not the serene earth mother they'd perhaps envisaged. I know it sounds cruel but when your timeline fills with babies you have to find amusement somewhere! grin

It's nice for a child to be loved, of course it is. But can you not just directly address your child through, I don't know, spoken language? Do you actions on yr child's birthday not show how lived they are?

I thought things like this are posted to get likes/comments. Social cocaine. How do the likes/comments benefit the child if they can't comprehend them?

Never thought I'd be a Luddite but this is one modern trait I will never adopt because Just can not see the merit in it.

Snoot-not had the real time labour status yet. Quite look forward to that!

Snoot Mon 08-Jul-13 19:41:46

When people post on another FB page and for some reason your timeline notifies you, what's that about? I found out about an old school friend's haemorrhoids than way shock

phantomnamechanger Mon 08-Jul-13 19:43:57

nice to meet you too K hmm

HappyDoll Mon 08-Jul-13 19:46:58

This is a stupid practise. I get it all the time...and currently it's the hoardes of parents congratulating their infants on excellent school reports. I just want to say 1. Infant school reports are always lovely, 2. your infant isn't on fb and 3. isn't your infant right their in front of your face...isn't it more efficient to just, I don't know, say it to them? Stupid.

phantomnamechanger Mon 08-Jul-13 19:51:53

FWIW, what I actually meant was that it IS odd to address the dead - they cant see it or read it, just as babies cant. Only in this case, they never will, which IMHO makes it odder, as it CAN'T be argued that it's a sort of keepsake thing.

Why not just say - "I am having hard time today as its a year since mum died/first birthday without her" or whatever, rather than addressing the post to the deceased directly

anyway, each to his own - folk are quite entitled to do it, others entitled to express that they find it odd - no need really for shouting abuse over the net though.

flipchart Mon 08-Jul-13 19:52:08

It's no better or or worse than people writing a message to their dead parents or friends. The dead can't read either.

I couldn't care less what people do with regard to this, it just goes over my head. Whatever floats your boat!

flipchart Mon 08-Jul-13 19:52:52

Lolz at the cross post there about the dead!

phantomnamechanger Mon 08-Jul-13 19:53:07

oh yes it's report bragging season here too!

HappyDoll Mon 08-Jul-13 19:58:22

I have one friend in particular that posts messages to her toddler at night when she is sleeping like 'Dear dd, please settle and have a good night, mummy is tired'. It's odd, thing is I adore this woman otherwise, just find this fb practise odd...but then I find most fb behaviour stupid.

themaltesecat Mon 08-Jul-13 20:01:16

The world would be a much poor place if, say, Robert Burns hadn't written Address to a Haggis.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

Or if Robert Browning had not addressed his dear, departed wife in Prospice:

O thou soul of my soul! I shall clasp thee again,
And with God be the rest!

Why should the addressee have to be able to answer? That is tosh.

themaltesecat Mon 08-Jul-13 20:02:03

poorer place, that should be. Running away before I find more typos..

HappyDoll Mon 08-Jul-13 20:06:30

Fb tripe cannot be compared to Burns' musings!!!!!!

Towanda Mon 08-Jul-13 20:21:13

I address posts to my DC. I address posts to my dead child. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks of me got doing so though I'd hope anyone who thinks I'm weird for doing it would just delete me.

Towanda Mon 08-Jul-13 20:21:56

For not got.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now