to ask for a very basic pre-holiday low-carb plan?

(59 Posts)
AtYourCervix Mon 08-Jul-13 08:43:03

I'd look at the bootcamp threads but my fancykindle won't let me find it.

3 weeks til my holiday.

3 Weeks to shed 5 stone (I may have left it a bit late).

So..... low-carb?

The basics for a 3 week plan please.

[Thanks]

decaffwithcream Thu 11-Jul-13 20:21:50

You and Yours all this week on Radio 4 is looking at food manufacture. Yesterday they went to a lab which deals with lots of requests from manufacturers to lower the fat content of food. And get a lower calorie count. As that is what sells. It quickly became apparent that when they took out fat which they called a bulk agent the first idea was to insert more sugar, as another bulk agent.

They commented that this could be a problem though "as it would increase the calories"

No comment on the many other problems inherent in adding more sugar into foods that were being marketed at people trying to make healthier choices.

Today they looked at butter vs low fat spreads.

BIWI Thu 11-Jul-13 12:32:54

Who, with low carbing, is trying to sell anyone anything? hmm

The absolute opposite is true, actually - buy fresh, unprocessed foods is the usual advice.

And - if you could be bothered to read anything that's written here or anyone else - you would soon understand that it's absolutely not about eating fewer calories.

Not sure why you're so wedded to a system that is based on flawed science - unless you work for the NHS/are peddling low calorie dieting?

specialsubject Thu 11-Jul-13 12:16:03

when the NHS take down the eatwell plate (40% complex carbs) I'll believe that the science in low-carb is accepted.

while it still remains in the domain of 'people trying to sell you something' then I am cynical. Also a lot of people don't understand the difference between simple carbs and complex ones. No wonder so many are fat when they believe that 'health bars' and 'low-carb pasta' - all processed as hell and ridiculously expensive into the bargain - are the way to go.

all these magic diets work because you eat fewer calories. Nothing you put in your mouth helps you lose weight. It is what you don't put in that matters.

moving a bit is good too. But again, that doesn't make anyone any money.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Thu 11-Jul-13 11:38:04

Amiga, yes, after a week or two your cravings will go, and you can also snack on anything low-carb you like, to your heart's content. Olives, cheese (BabyBels are good if you're out), Pepperami, Parma ham, hard-boiled eggs, prawns with Marie Rose dipping sauce from M&S, full-fat Greek yoghurt, raspberries...

amigababy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:59:25

BIWI and anyone else who knows. If I start low carbing, will I soon lose the mid afternoon sugar craving that is currently ruining my attempt at losing weight, I must scrounge around 600-700 unnecessary calories at 4pm every day.

( sorry op encroaching on your thread)

amigababy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:55:41

I'm not low carbing. though I think I need to and am reading with interest.

but I do regularly have soya milk in coffee it has around 0.9 grams carbs per 100 MLS. this compares with 5 grams per 100 MLS for semi skimmed milk. Could be a handy ingredient for some things.

sallycinnamum Wed 10-Jul-13 18:40:40

I've been eulogising about low carbing today at work. I lost a stone in a month (half a stone to go).

I wish I'd done it years ago instead of spending 10 years on diets that don't work.

I still drink booze and have the odd treat. It's changed my life and I don't miss carbs one bit.

BIWI Wed 10-Jul-13 18:14:29

specialsubject - the OP asked about low carbing, not calorie counting.

And low carbing isn't a crash diet. There's a huge amount of science to support its benefits, not just for weight loss.

AtYourCervix - you can eat mayo and cheese, but as said, check the carb counts of your mayo. Cheese is brilliant as it's carb-free (if it's hard cheese), but just beware that some people have an issue with dairy, so don't go mad with it - i.e. don't eat half a pound at every meal!

Nottalotta Wed 10-Jul-13 16:30:05

17 day diet is fab. I lost 10lbs in 17 days. The first stage is low carb with some carb added in at each 17day stage. 4 stages in total.

AtYourCervix Wed 10-Jul-13 16:16:46

OK. Will carry on with my meat and cheese and salad eating.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Wed 10-Jul-13 16:06:27

Mayonnaise yes, so long as it's full-fat and has nothing weird in. Hellman's is fine. Check the carb count on yours.

Cheese - yes.

Don't know why you feel fatter. Hot-weather related water retention? I felt like a whale by the end of yesterday and my ankles were definitely swollen. I started low-carbing on Monday and so far I have put on a quarter of a pound. <sobs> I think yesterday was just so hot my body was hanging onto every ounce of water it could, despite my best efforts at drinking.

specialsubject Wed 10-Jul-13 16:01:36

you can eat whatever you want as long as the total calories taken in are fewer than you are using, and it is a balanced diet. You use about 2000 calories a day just existing, but if you are fat you need to move around to burn more.

NHS eatwell plate will tell you about a balanced diet.

crash dieters end up fatter. Anyone who says 'x diet always works for me' is telling you that it NEVER works. Otherwise why would they repeat it?

I'm off for a walk.

AtYourCervix Wed 10-Jul-13 15:47:42

I am discovering my inner carnivore!

A few Qs.

Can i eat mayonnaise?

How much cheese?

Why do i feel fatter than i was 3 days ago?

AtYourCervix Mon 08-Jul-13 20:10:34

Jaffa -i think you'll find i can't get to certain places. For some unfathomable reason the topic list doesn't work for me. And I don't care anyway.

AtYourCervix Mon 08-Jul-13 20:09:38

Jaffa -i think you'll find i can't get to certain places. For some unfathomable reason the topic list doesn't work for me. And I don't care anyway.

BIWI Mon 08-Jul-13 19:54:39

Oh yes - you must have some carbs - it isn't about cutting them out altogether - but your carbs should come mainly from vegetables and salad.

Nornironmum Mon 08-Jul-13 19:46:13

Thanks BI I think I will hop over to the low carb boards soon.
I just know that if I went back to my old, though some would say healthy ways the weight would pile back on as I can't excercise. I can cycle a bit, but nothing like I used to. Plus I have read so many things now about not eating things that were not around years ago, that I think low carbing is the way forward. Though I do plan to have some carbs through veg, which I love. Am keen to try the courgette strips and also cauliflower rice.

BIWI Mon 08-Jul-13 19:15:55

MrsBrownsGirl - I'm sorry, but that's simply not true about alcohol and ketosis. You can quite happily drink alcohol and be in ketosis as many of us long-term low carbers can attest grin

Nornironmum - absolutely you can do this as a lifestyle choice! It's what all the low carb writers recommend. Low carbing has many health benefits beyond just the obvious of losing weight. A diet high in carbohydrate is implicated in diabetes, hypertension, cancer and Alzheimer's as well as obesity.

If you're looking for a pasta substitute, stay away from anything like Dreamfields pasta which claims it is low carb. But if you are near an Asian supermarket or Japanese food store, look out for shirataki noodles - they are zero carb. They are a little tough, and more like a rice noodle than egg pasta, but they do work very well in a stir fry.

tiredmummy33 Mon 08-Jul-13 19:08:53

Slimming world is working for me. Ive lost 7lb in three weeks which feels sensible. Ive cut out bread and am having fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, salads with prawns, salmon, ham, new potatoes or boiled egg for lunch. Loads of fruit throughout the day. Normalish dinners like stir fry or pasta without cheese and smaller portions. And the odd treat! Its just sensible eating but i like the structure and the shame of being weighed by a stranger is an excellent incentive!

BlackAffronted Mon 08-Jul-13 18:54:55

Norn, the no carb pasta is vile! Courgette ribbons are much tastier and carry pasta sauce very well.

I am doing this way of eating fo rlife, I do not like what carbs do to my body or my health.

The odd wine at the weekend, especially white, wont do too much harm but will be used as fuel before burning fat, so more ideal for when you are at your target weight & maintaining.

decaffwithcream Mon 08-Jul-13 18:44:50

Courgette strips made with a vegetable peeler work well instead of pasta. Fry them in butter. I do mine in garlic butter.

Iwantmybed Mon 08-Jul-13 18:39:49

Jaffa I wondering where the hmm was about posting on the AIBU.
Lurking as I need a kick start to lose some weight.

MrsBrownsGirl Mon 08-Jul-13 18:25:31

Nornironmum If you cut your carbs low enough to go into ketosis then you shouldn'thave wine/most alcohol as it's dangerous (google "alcohol and ketosis", I've seen it's effects first-hand so I'm pretty sure it's not just scare-mongering). The no carb pasta is pretty grim, very chewy! You can get a noodle version though which is slightly more palatable, they are best used to bulk up something like a stir fry rather than as a straight swap for a pasta and sauce type dish. Hope your leg is better now!

JaffaMyCake Mon 08-Jul-13 18:24:07

YABU to ask this on the AIBU board. hmm

Nornironmum Mon 08-Jul-13 18:09:06

Some fab ideas here. I wonder if I could ask for help? After breaking my leg badly and stopping smoking (used to be a gym freak, can hardly walk far now) I put on 20lb very quickly. I am veggie and eat tons of carbs, diet mostly consisted of them. But never ever ate junk, and don't drink much either.
Anyway I have lost 19lb on the Cambridge diet, and after losing 14lb in a week I have come to realise that carbs do not work for me. I am going on hols in 2 weeks and really want to low carb, and I think this is now going to become a way of life for me from now on, as I simply can't excercise to burn off carbs, therefore they are storing as fat. I love quorn and am going to start eating chicken too. I was just wondering if this is possible to do as a life style choice, obv having the odd wine etc. I realise to maintain this weight and maybe lose more, this is something I am going to have to do. Has any one heard of the no carb pasta? I think you can buy it in holland and barret? Was wondering if its any good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now