To point out that the word is 'being' not 'been'

(153 Posts)
Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 07-Jul-13 23:28:00

I've read a number of posts over the last few days where a poster has used 'been' when they've meant 'being'

It's annoying. So there.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Thu 11-Jul-13 18:59:51

helly, I assure you, I have immense respect for language (as well as Welsh coal-mining ancestors of my own).

What I found terribly sad, in that context, was the number of people who lost their mother tongue because they were punished for speaking Welsh. That is what was seen as 'education' and 'respect for language' back then.

It's not very different from the attitude towards dialects and accents on this thread, though.

I genuinely find your posts slightly difficult to read, because you don't punctuate properly (what is it with punctuation and people who're pedants on this thread?!). Are you aware you're doing that? And that you might come across as just as 'annoying' as someone who writes 'been' for 'being'?

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 11-Jul-13 19:40:22

usual

It's moved on into a more general discussion? I thought anyway.

But as I said - correcting people on MN isn't intended to be helpful,it's always a dig. I might notice an error on here but I wouldn't ever comment. Unless you're in Pedants Corner grammar and spelling isn't really the point of any of us posting on any thread.

LRD

True even in the workplace a bit of tact wouldn't go amiss. Amending the letter is enough, loudly chastising the person in front of others isn't on. That's what I meant about feelings not coming into it. Otherwise it turns into an exercise in belittling the person.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Thu 11-Jul-13 19:44:20

Yes, I agree, that seems totally fair to do. And helpful, because it's in context.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now