To point out that the word is 'being' not 'been'

(153 Posts)
Thisvehicleisreversing Sun 07-Jul-13 23:28:00

I've read a number of posts over the last few days where a poster has used 'been' when they've meant 'being'

It's annoying. So there.

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Wed 10-Jul-13 11:26:53

You didn't put a full stop at the end of your sentence. That's annoying!

EvieanneVolvic Wed 10-Jul-13 11:27:00

while they are being so helpful

Not while they are been so helpful???? grin Mandra

ShowOfHands Wed 10-Jul-13 11:29:29

I was sat...

<weeps>

NinaJade666 Wed 10-Jul-13 11:33:06

Goldmandra It's called spell check

A friend of mine is an SEN teaching assistant after 2 years of online courses. Her language and mathematics skills are poor. If she was in charge of my child's education I would be horrified.

Personally I think she blagged the interview to get the job with her good looks and very good people skills. She's very good at 'getting what she wants'.

Oooh.. that last bit sounded bitchy grin

Goldmandra Wed 10-Jul-13 11:35:25

Goldmandra It's called spell check

True but even then you have to look at what it's highlighting and decide whether to change it. Don't people learn from those mistakes?

Maybe not.

HelgaHufflepuff Wed 10-Jul-13 11:39:02

YANBU.

Someone on my FB keeps confusing 'board' with 'bored'. It's getting on my nerves.
"I'm board." hmm
It's taking all my strength not to type something back like "yes, you are a bit plank like."
must sit on hands

Lose and loose.
Could of winds me up too. I usually end up shouting at the laptop. " Could HAVE!"
think I'd fit right in the Pedants corner grin

LilacPeony Wed 10-Jul-13 11:45:29

I don't like "You could of" either.

NeeeNawwwNeeeNawww Wed 10-Jul-13 11:52:18

I don't think people do learn with spell check. It allows laziness.

"I don't need to be learned I got spell check innit"

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Wed 10-Jul-13 11:55:36

YANBU, I hate the their, they're and there mistakes.

I know some people can't help it, and some people don't care and I wouldn't correct them or say anything but Arrrrrgh! angry

furiously checks spelling

DarkWinter Wed 10-Jul-13 12:24:56

Would HAVE. Should HAVE. Could HAVE!

NOT OF, YOU MORONS.

MrsMelons Wed 10-Jul-13 12:35:09

Of instead of have is the worst. I see board instead of bored lots on FB, all variations of there used incorrectly and lose/loose is ridiculous (not a well structured sentence I know!)

I understand spelling mistakes as often on the internet it is just chat and we don't necessarily spell check or it could just be typos but basic grammar should be natural surely?

FloweryOwl Wed 10-Jul-13 12:47:09

My mother wrote a note for my brother in his planner the other day so he could be excused from P.E.

'Sam can't do p.e today HAS he has broken his toe'

FGS mum.

Heartbrokenmum73 Wed 10-Jul-13 12:51:11

There was a TA at my Mum's school who was working with a group of low-achieving literacy pupils. One week she gave them all certificates to take home. She'd made them on the pc and printed them off. They said 'Your a Star'. My Mum was horrified.

I can shrug it off on Facebook and on here, tbh, but when it's someone assisting with literacy and they're not literate themselves, yeah, that's a big problem.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53:44

I'm really trying to give a flying fuck, but I don't. Sorry.

I think this thread is unpleasant and judgy and childish.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 10-Jul-13 13:02:43

my otherwise lovely DH uses commas instead of apostophes...so they,re instead of they're <chews fists>

Lose, loose....don't go near the weight loss threads, whatever you do! Lots of loosing of pounds going on!

hate, hate, hate would of, should of, could of with a passion. And "off of" instead of "from" or just "off" eg That actor "off of" Coronation Street or get "off of" the bed....aaarrrggghhhh!

I must admit that my text messages need some attention at times! grin I find that predictive text makes the most absurd typos ever. and I quite often press "send" before checking blush. At least they are very obviously predictive text errors rather than laziness as such.

SneezySnatcher Wed 10-Jul-13 13:15:07

Nina I came on to say I hate 'brought' instead of 'bought'.

And 'led' instead of 'laid' e.g. "I led him on the bed".

And 'could of' instead of 'could have'.

OP, YANBU to think it, as long as you don't pull anyone up on it.

RalphGnu Wed 10-Jul-13 13:20:14

I agree with LRD. Let's take the piss out of people because they don't use apostrophes correctly and spell words incorrectly. Lazy peasants.

Goldmandra Wed 10-Jul-13 13:23:41

I think typos are different. It's fine to type fast then press post without proof reading on MN because, as people say, it isn't a job application.

Mistakes which you are aware you have made are one thing but these 'could of' isn't a typo. It's a fundamental lack of understanding of the language you are using.

Having said that, I'm sure I've made plenty of grammatical errors posting on here without realising smile

RalphGnu I agree that we shouldn't take the mickey out of people who make genuine mistakes but my son has a t-shirt (expensive make) where the message uses "loose" instead of "lose". That is ridiculous! what is more embarrassing is that he didn't even notice until I pointed it out!

CuChullain Wed 10-Jul-13 13:27:13

While we are on the subject can some people stop spelling 'disgusting' as 'discusting', it really makes you look very stupid.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Wed 10-Jul-13 13:33:35

gold - not necessarily, though.

It could just be that, for you, 'could've' and 'could of' are homophones, just as 'been' and 'being' are in some accents.

It is very easy to mistype one homophone for another (I can easily type 'witch' for 'which'). That's why the language changes and grammar changes with it. So, for some people, 'could of' is what they've heard all their lives and they don't know it's not standard grammar.

LaLaLeni Wed 10-Jul-13 13:33:51

It may seem trivial and petty but after a while, this sort of laziness becomes so ingrained that people can no longer express what they wish to. Someone recently sent me a message with no punctuation at all, it was merely a string of words that then made no sense. I couldn't tell whether they were responding positively or negatively to me at all. The very reason we have punctuation, spelling etc is to make clear what we mean, to aid us in communicating - a pretty key part of life. English is already confusing, so add in poor spelling and grammatical mistakes and eventually things get awfully clouded. You shouldn't have to fish about for the meaning unless you're reading huge philosophical texts.

I've never come across the replacement of 'being' with 'been' oddly, but lately I've noticed people saying 'The thing is, is that...'. Why do they add an extra word which is THE SAME AS THE PREVIOUS WORD? The word 'to' (and/or 'the') is starting to be dropped when talking about going somewhere - 'I'm going shop'.

MrsPercyPig Wed 10-Jul-13 13:37:35

This thread is really nasty.

Do these things seriously wind you up? I really would suggest getting out more or finding a hobby or something.

People aren't making mistakes to wind others up, they are making mistakes because they don't know they are incorrect.

The people criticising other people's mistakes sound like nasty bullies.

LRDLearningKnigaBook Wed 10-Jul-13 13:37:35

It's not necessarily 'laziness', la.

I can understand why we need punctuation and spelling, and I agree it's really important to write clearly (I would say more for huge philosophical texts, personally).

But I think doing the King Canute thing of standing on the edge letting your toes get wet and yelling 'go back, go back' is a bit of a lost cause. And I think that it's important to understand why people do these things instead of just having a go or pretending it's 'laziness'.

'I'm going shop' is a phrase substantially older than living memory. Dropping 'the' is quite common, and most accents replace it with a glottal stop. If you've not come across it before, listen out for it and you should be able to hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now