To be a bit in awe of Carole Middleton?

(112 Posts)
Swashbucklers Sun 07-Jul-13 17:10:18

For having gone from East London air stewardess, to successfully setting up and running a multi million pound business while raising 3 children, maintaining a very 'family' based life, and still looking after herself and looking great?

His the hell did she do that? I want to be her.

noddyholder Sun 07-Jul-13 18:11:30

I agree MI what an awful life

MI it was a health article in a national chain's magazine. Summer special type o' thing.

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 18:41:51

Ah yes, I was health ed on that mag till Feb (short contract).

I'm quite happy with my little working class life tbh, simple things are a pleasure. I'd hate to have to watch my every public move for fear of damaging mine and by extension, my daughter's reputation, or embarrassing the inlaws.

Swashbucklers Sun 07-Jul-13 18:44:41

I should have made clear in my OP that I am not in awe of her class ,or moving up through classes.

More that she has 3 lovely children and a family life and a successful business. She's managed all of that, and I'd love to say I managed all of that in 20 years' time.

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 18:45:06

More of a problem having embarrassing inlaws. Just imagine.

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 18:48:00

Does she have three lovely children? She has one quite pleasant seeming if deeply anodyne one, she has one whose 'book' was so ROFL-worthy that it doesn't need me to elaborate... And, er, another. Apparently. She has sold lots of party hats, I'll give you that.

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 18:51:18

I am in awe of my mate who holds down a full time job with three kids, one of whom has profound autism. I am quite in awe of successful novelists. I am also in awe of some of the people I interview for work who are doing fascinating medical research. Party hats - and I have shopped at Ms Middleton's emporium, I freely admit - not so much.

Happymum22 Sun 07-Jul-13 19:29:20

Yes, I agree. And I love how Kate has the down-to-earth air about her, clearly from the parenting she had.

Southeastdweller Sun 07-Jul-13 20:34:00

I like her. She's helped set up and maintain a long-term successful business and has three kids who seem secure, happy and determined to blaze their own trails career-wise and her husband who seems to adore her. Since Kate and Wills got together, the woman hasn't put a foot wrong. And yes, she looks terrific.

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 20:49:48

Pippa Middleton has a career? As what?

And Kate worked for Jigsaw for a bit before becoming a rich SAHM who does a bit for her husband's family firm.

noddyholder Sun 07-Jul-13 21:00:54

Blaze their own trails pmsl. Her business is successful but so would anyone who used sweat shops for production

Southeastdweller Sun 07-Jul-13 21:07:07

Pippa does food writing and set up her own business. I see Kate's royal role as a career. The son has his own catering business.

Much more interesting to me than working in P.R or as a hedge fund manager.

TNETENNBA Sun 07-Jul-13 21:12:53

I am not in awe of Ma Middleton at all. I dont even respect her. I also don't have any ill feeling towards her.

The book by Pippa is awful, I am not sure why anyone would buy it.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 07-Jul-13 21:26:29

Still sends her son in law to collect stuff from Waitrose seen it with my own eyes.

LessMissAbs Sun 07-Jul-13 21:26:52

I'd rather succeed in sport at a high level, or in the professions, than in social climbing and being strangely muted in public.

Each to their own, but it leaves me cold in terms of "achievement".

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 21:55:36

There are a lot more jobs out there than PR or hedge funds. And even if being Missis Windsor is a career it isn't exactly one she got on merit - I suppose she did sleep her way to the topgrin

motherinferior Sun 07-Jul-13 21:58:16

Pippa has a 'food column'. I sort of slightly doubt she got that on merit.

hermioneweasley Sun 07-Jul-13 22:02:56

She managed to raise the most idle woman in Britain, who threw away the most expensive education money can buy by waiting to marry a rich man.

I am NOT in awe of her.

BridgetBidet Sun 07-Jul-13 22:08:11

I do. They have worked extremely hard. I know that there was a trust fund from Micheal's family for the children's education but I do think they've done incredibly well of their own backs.

I do feel a bit sorry for their son (who's name escapes me) and Pippa. Because Kate's fallen on her feet they've got the sticky end of the lollipop and they're criticized if they work for their parents and criticized if they do other commercial work. And the knives are out for them whatever they do and they're much less protected than Kate, they don't have their own press office and the voice of the crown behind them.

encyclogirl Sun 07-Jul-13 22:22:28

I am impressed by her work ethic and incredible self belief. Party pieces has been a phenomenal success and she's clearly the engine behind all of that.

TSSDNCOP Sun 07-Jul-13 22:23:38

I rather admire her. It takes more than luck to achieve what she and her husband have. I suspect she has backbone, and I like that in a person.

BridgetBidet Sun 07-Jul-13 22:30:45

Now Chelsea Davey. She's the nuts. Gave two fingers to the Windsors to have a career she worked extremely hard for. I've met her too, on the Leeds to London train and she is lovely and v beautiful.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 07-Jul-13 22:32:56

She has done well and has a successful business I am sure she has worked hard but I can not say I am in awe of her

Shame her daughters have not taken on her work ethic

LessMissAbs Sun 07-Jul-13 22:34:30

I do feel a bit sorry for their son (who's name escapes me) and Pippa. Because Kate's fallen on her feet they've got the sticky end of the lollipop and they're criticized if they work for their parents and criticized if they do other commercial work

But theres nothing to stop them working in the professions. I don't think anyone would criticise a dedicated doctor or hard working lawyer or academic. Except that they didn't study for any of the professions, despite those expensively funded educations.

Neither would they attract criticism if they made their career in a sporting field, providing they had been sufficiently talented and hard working. Again, they're not.

So their educations have ended up only providing the basis for their social lives, and ultimately (probably) their marriages. Like a modern take on Jane Austen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now