AIBU to think that 7am on a Sunday is far too early for kids to be out playing?

(115 Posts)
lastnightiwenttomanderleyagain Sun 07-Jul-13 07:17:04

I'll lay my cards on the table early: DH and I have no.children yet. I also quite like the sound of children playing (not the screechers, mind)

BUT... 7am on a Sunday? I remember as a kid that we weren't allowed out until at least 9am or something on a normal day, let alone a day when it is universally acknowledged that most people are enjoying a bit of a lie in.

Not only are they loud but the noise they make as they jump off kerbs on their scooters is horrendous.

Grrrrr!

TheConstantLurker Sun 07-Jul-13 09:08:51

Children should be allowed out but told to keep it down for neighbours.
Keeping them in until nine is ridiculous.

HomageToCannelloni Sun 07-Jul-13 09:17:32

Hmmm, if us parents have to keep our offspring in til 9 then the childless should be banned from having noisy bbq's or indeed ANY social interaction after 7pm, when people are trying to put their teeny babies or little children to sleep.

YABTotallyU. Other people make noise, all the time, night and day. Its impossible to escape it. You yourself probably disturb their family after their kids are in bed all the time without realising it. It's give and take, that's what life is all about. If you really hate the noise of others then perhaps a more rural location would suit. (Though we have NO neighbours and still get woken at various early hours by farm traffic and such!

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 07-Jul-13 09:21:52

HerrenaHarridan
"Why are you so fuckin special"

What makes you so "fuckin special" that your kids can disturb others so early in the morning?

HomageToCannelloni
"Hmmm, if us parents have to keep our offspring in til 9 then the childless should be banned from having noisy bbq's or indeed ANY social interaction after 7pm, when people are trying to put their teeny babies or little children to sleep."

So only the childless have BBQs after 7pm?

Eyesunderarock Sun 07-Jul-13 09:22:58

It's just a shame that compromise seems so difficult for so many people.

coronalover Sun 07-Jul-13 09:23:55

YADNBU I don't care if other people are not polite enough to keep quiet at night, I teach my DC to be considerate of other people regardless. We have buses rattling past until late at night and a dog barking next door at random times but I don't use that as an excuse to be selfish. The OP is cross because the kids are being noisy out in the street which is def NU

coronalover Sun 07-Jul-13 09:28:49

*just re-read my post and it sounds wierd, I didn't mean that buses and dogs aren't polite!! just that we regularly have noise to deal with, as well as the odd pissed up party nearby

pudcat Sun 07-Jul-13 09:32:12

I don't mind quiet children outside, but those scooters bumping up and down the kerbs are a nightmare. The whole house seems to vibrate. We have footballs and scooters until dark and then early in the mornings. They do not play outside their own houses. I wonder why not!!!!!!!

coldwater1 Sun 07-Jul-13 09:39:41

I think it is way too early! My little ones are early risers but none of my kids are allowed in the garden until at least 10am. Not sure why i am so considerate considering most of the estate are up all night partying, shouting, screaming, setting off fireworks and riding mopeds up and down the street all night. But those have always been my rules and my kids know not to ask to go outside before 10am.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 09:40:50

Normally I'd agree but today only lasted until 8:30 before releasing DD into the garden, it's so hot here and she needs to make the most of the garden before the midday heat sends her back in!

She is also not a screecher, next door's dog on the other hand has been barking since 5am hmm

TwoCrazyKids Sun 07-Jul-13 09:44:40

I personally wouldn't mind but I wouldn't allow mine out. They are not allowed out until 9am weekdays and about 10:30 on a Sunday.

PipkinsPal Sun 07-Jul-13 09:45:03

OP, I have the opposite, neighbourhood kids out playing until 9pm on a school night, 10pm last Friday night and the youngest is 2 and the oldest 9 or 10. At 7am on a Sunday morning they are too knackered to be up that early. I have no problem with kids playing but the ones around here are screamers and shouters too.

FatherSpodoKomodo Sun 07-Jul-13 09:48:32

YANBU. I have 5 boys, so lots of noise. DS2 has ASD and can be very loud when he gets excited and is on the trampoline, or when we leave the house. I do keep him in till after 9 at the weekends so people can enjoy their lay in without his yelling.

Dixiefish Sun 07-Jul-13 09:51:21

I let mine out around 8.30 so long as they're quiet.

On a related note, is AIBU to let DD do her clarinet practice at 9am? Not sure how much of it the neighbours can hear!

gamerchick Sun 07-Jul-13 09:53:19

Kids are entitled make the most of the short but of nice weather we get.. Especially before it gets too hot. Id rather listen to kids than the noisy bbq that went on and on and on out back last night. Ear plugs come in handy.

Bio ears ear plugs are really decent if you want to sleep the morning away.

ElectricSheep Sun 07-Jul-13 09:54:38

I'm just wondering if it's too early to start my noisy mower? What do you think?

<my neighbours were up gone 2am partying last night so I'm sure they are still asleep>

Oh god, I'm just glad you don't live next to us (in a nice way, honest) ds doesn't walk, he runs. Morning is his full on energy time. I have to let him out the back otherwise he will run back and forth the hall, living room etc and we have wooden floors. Althgh when he is out the back he doesn't make too much noise. Parents do what they have to to survive

pianodoodle Sun 07-Jul-13 10:05:12

I think I'm going to be in the minority here - YABU

Get out of bed lazy smile

HomageToCannelloni Sun 07-Jul-13 10:09:48

'So only the childless have BBQs after 7pm?'

Blimey Boney I should hope not, we have kids AND a life, but I realise that my doing so might disturb others, and accept that I may get disturbed in return. grin

amazingmumof6 Sun 07-Jul-13 10:12:50

YADNBU.
mine don't go out. ever. and 7am is too early for anything. if they disturb us I whack them with a paddle.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sun 07-Jul-13 10:23:04

Ours are let out after 9.00 although they've only just come out as they've been playing upstairs. Before 9 is too early particularly since our youngest is being very moany and screechy at present.

KrazyKurls Sun 07-Jul-13 10:25:32

Why can't people live and let live - different lives mean we are all up and asleep at different times! Get some ear plugs and a grip

Disclaimer: I have no neighbours so can't moan about anyone or have anyone moan about me.

Dubjackeen Sun 07-Jul-13 10:30:36

It's about having a bit of consideration, in my view, and that goes for all on a street, with kids/ without kids/ party animals/ zealous mowers... smile. There used to be one lad on our street here who had a voice that could be heard in the surrounding counties, and he never stopped roaring, while out playing, early morning or late evening. Then again, he wasn't playing near his own house...

GiveMumABreak Sun 07-Jul-13 10:35:01

YABU I think it's lovely that children are out enjoying the sunshine and fresh air on a Sunday morning!

secondchances Sun 07-Jul-13 10:39:30

Next doors son was outside calling Dds name at 7am. Dd was still asleep.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 07-Jul-13 10:42:08

HomageToCannelloni

"we have kids AND a life, but I realise that my doing so might disturb others, and accept that I may get disturbed in return."

I agree, but there is an expectation of reasonableness to it.

If the children are playing quietly in a sand pit fine, if they are screaming their heads off on a trampoline then its unreasonable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now