To be furious at poor hygiene

(83 Posts)
PenguinBear Sat 06-Jul-13 18:59:44

We are at a BBQ hosted by another family and he has just put the meat on the BBQ. He touched all the raw meat with his hands and has since poured the wine, touched the chair and then his face! I am a tad very neurotic about raw meat after a horrendous food poisoning incident while camping as a teen. 

I don't feel I can eat anything or let the dc go near anything. What do I do? I feel v stressed ( I knows it's an over reaction) but what do I do?

LilacPeony Sun 07-Jul-13 16:43:21

I'm surprised so many people think there's no need to wash your hands after touching raw meat.

phantomnamechanger Sun 07-Jul-13 17:01:21

EN - maybe you have not read the threads on silent drowning?

For this reason I never let my children go to swimming parties - you do not know how well the adults supervising are doing their job - plenty of children have drowned at family BBQs/holiday homes etc where everyone thought someone else was watching the kids, the sun was out, everyone was in party mode, enjoying a few drinks, what could go wrong....

a quick look up now and then (from MNing etc) to check no one in the water appears to be panicking is NOT going to spot the child who is silently drowning, just out of their depth, and unable to shout for help or act distressed. Most children drown within sight of an adult.

Wallison Mon 08-Jul-13 09:28:12

What is the difference between eating mince and steak tartare?

shootthatfruit Mon 08-Jul-13 10:05:57

Mince and therefore steak tartare has any faecal bacteria like E. coli from the carcass mixed right through it so if it's not cooked through the bacteria are thriving.

Rare steaks have only the inside (where the faecal material won't be) raw, the outside where they might be bas been cooked.

OP YANBU. I'm shocked that people think basic food hygiene round raw meat counts as being fussy - it's basic and I'm amazed at anyone who's comfortable handling raw meat and not washing their hands. Never mind people who do that where they're serving food to other people. It's either selfish and lazy, or it shows really embarrassing ignorance of how food poisoning works.

It's takes a scarily tiny number of individual bacteria for E. coli to make someone ill (you don't need it to have been multiplying in warm food for hours first) and if it's a child under five or an elderly person they can die from it. I'd honestly be more comfortable drinking from a glass my host's child had just wiped bogies all over the outside of, than one my host handed to me straight after handling raw burgers. (Obviously I'd prefer neither, but if I had to choose...)

If there is anyone out there who's a bit vague on food safety and bbqs it would be worth them reading this:

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/Barbecuefoodsafety.aspx

Wallison Mon 08-Jul-13 11:30:42

Yes but steak tartare isn't cooked.

Thatballwasin Mon 08-Jul-13 14:12:45

No, you're being entirely reasonable, that's absolutely grim and I'm very surprised so many people seem to have no problem with this.

The trad butchers near me has a glass booth where a cashier sits, she doesn't handle the meat and the butchers don't handle the money. It's not a posh butchers.

Thatballwasin Mon 08-Jul-13 14:39:58

Remind me never to attend a MN barbecue......

Crinkle77 Mon 08-Jul-13 14:46:32

I don't think you are obsessive either. What if he then goes and touches cooked food, salad or buns? I have to tell my fella to wash his hands after touching raw meat cos he doesn't either, then goes and touches the bread. yuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now