To be furious at poor hygiene

(83 Posts)
PenguinBear Sat 06-Jul-13 18:59:44

We are at a BBQ hosted by another family and he has just put the meat on the BBQ. He touched all the raw meat with his hands and has since poured the wine, touched the chair and then his face! I am a tad very neurotic about raw meat after a horrendous food poisoning incident while camping as a teen. 

I don't feel I can eat anything or let the dc go near anything. What do I do? I feel v stressed ( I knows it's an over reaction) but what do I do?

Turniptwirl Sun 07-Jul-13 01:03:37

Yanbu

Who thinks its ok to spread raw meat bacteria over everything including things which won't be cooked (which would kill the bacteria)?

Hope he gets food poisoning

valiumredhead Sun 07-Jul-13 08:18:46

Alias-I have 2 separate tongsgrin

MadeOfStarDust Sun 07-Jul-13 08:48:05

We also have 2 separate tongs - the usual big BBQ ones for cooking the raw meat, then kitchen ones for serving cooked meat - the long BBQ ones have insulated handles so you can leave the metal bits that touch the raw/part-cooked food on the hot BBQ....

I don't tend to eat food others have cooked on a BBQ anyhow - MIL used to marinate the chicken overnight in her (hot) kitchen - out of the fridge to get "more flavour" - kind of put me off...

You suffering yet OP? Or did it all work out alright in the end?

FWIW you could rub a raw chicken breast all over my wine glass and i'd still drink it.

EliotNess Sun 07-Jul-13 08:57:07

Mumsnetters are a joyless lot

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jul-13 09:02:28

I am going to a fete today. I will be watching like a hawk to see if the people serving the cake are following hygiene regulations. wink

shock sparkling whatever you don't let them handle your buns after touching money. Just remember, there's faecal matter on all money!

DoodleAlley Sun 07-Jul-13 09:18:40

We got campylobacter last year. Reading up on how easily that is caught was enlightening.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jul-13 09:46:23

OMG ABF pooey Lemon Drizzle cake. sad

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jul-13 09:48:30

In the Dominican Republic they keep their money in their socks. confused

fairylightsinthespring Sun 07-Jul-13 09:54:35

raw meat is not inherently dangerous, you can eat raw meat, even chicken actually and it won't make you ill UNLESS there is something wrong with it in the first place. You're far more likely to be ill from eating mayo or the cooked food that has been left out in the sun for too long.

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jul-13 10:05:08

YY fairy I would be more worried about the Coleslaw left in the sun with Bluebottles pooing in it TBH.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 07-Jul-13 10:15:52

ooooohhhh yum <not> sparkling....

gobbledegook1 Sun 07-Jul-13 10:54:36

YANBU, I'm also religious about washing my hands straight after touching raw meat making sure not to touch other things this would get to me also.

LilacPeony Sun 07-Jul-13 11:20:54

I think it's odd not to want to wash your hands after handling raw meat

Gigondas Sun 07-Jul-13 11:26:10

I think you should take a clipboard sparkling and make notes of the food safety issues you see then pass on the notes you make.

miffybun73 Sun 07-Jul-13 11:36:45

YANBU, that's gross.

I really can't believe that anyone would put raw meat on the BBQ and then not go and immediately wash their hands in hot soapy water. It's really not that difficult is it?!

Sparklingbrook Sun 07-Jul-13 15:04:18

I am back Gigondas. Tongs and gloves were worn. Someone else took the money. All cakes covered in between slices being cut. Humph.

RoooneyMara Sun 07-Jul-13 15:13:09

I think you're all being very cruel to the OP.

It is minging to touch anything after handling raw meat.

No, she won't be licking the chairs but she might touch the chair he touched, and then her hands will have any bacteria that has been put on the chair, and the chair is presumably in the sun so it will be breeding away merrily.

I'd probably not eat anything that had been touched by someone else after being cooked. Or just, nothing. Then eat when I got home. Or steal some bread from their kitchen, instead.

JerseySpud Sun 07-Jul-13 15:23:19

I think some people are way too over the top. However did we all survive before the health and safety brigade came along...

nennypops Sun 07-Jul-13 15:34:38

You have heard of people eating rare steaks, right? How do you imagine they survive given that they're not only touching raw meat, they're eating it? YABU.

phantomnamechanger Sun 07-Jul-13 15:35:12

I'm frankly amazed that so many of you think this is OK and nowt to worry about - as others have said, the contact with raw meat then touching all sorts of other items, coupled with the heat is a recipe <pun intended> for disaster. Someone else can handle the wine bottle just before picking up their burger to eat, you don't expect a wine bottle to be covered in raw meat bacteria

However, I can't be the only one shock at the OP MNing when she * is supposed to be supervising kids in the pool*

phantomnamechanger Sun 07-Jul-13 15:37:04

raw steak or rare/medium is not the same as burger mince or chicken or pork outside on a hot day though, is it.

Dackyduddles Sun 07-Jul-13 15:40:27

You are supervising all kids by a POOL and you are on the phone, mning?!!!

Get off the thing now and pay some fecking attention.

Unless you lick his chair what's the issue?

EliotNess Sun 07-Jul-13 16:19:57

You don't have to STARE at kids to look after them. Really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now