Am I doing something illegal? Animal abuse?

(126 Posts)
LookingForwardToMarch Sat 06-Jul-13 12:44:55

This may be long, I will try to keep this short.

On the usual dog walk with dd my dp found a small white egg on the ground. It was very cold so I promptly stuck it down my bra and went in search of the nest.

We didn't find a nest, all we found was a smashed up nest box which looked like it had been 6 rounds with the local thugs.

I took the egg home and stuck it in a box with some cotton wool. After some googling I realised that it was very unlikely to hatch / survive as it had been icy cold, and I didn't have a heat lamp etc.

But I kept it anyway. I guess it made me feel better than leaving it there. I was just going to l;eave it there for a few days, then give it a 'burial' in the back garden blush yes I'm a wuss.

Anyway this is where my problem comes in. When I first found the egg I shone a torch through it and it was empty.

I just thought I'd check before burying it and.....the egg is no longer empty.

Cue massive panic! I've since been told havi8ng a wild bird in the house is illegal. I'm a horrible person for picking up the egg sad and that I am being very cruel....

I never meant for this to happen but what do I do now? I've looked on the RSPB sites etc. and it says they don't take eggs.

So do I raise it? (God knows how)

Is there an organisation that take baby birds?

Am I a complete dickhead?

LookingForwardToMarch Tue 09-Jul-13 07:32:16

Gerund I just got dp to feel it and he said he couldn't really feel any difference.

He also said can I stop waking him up to talk about eggs on his day off. grin

I think it just 'felt' heavier as I know something is in it...

Do you think I should weigh it to see if it get lighter? Or is that completely batty?

It's not completely batty - people doing serious incubation do weigh the eggs to make sure the humidity level is right (not humid enough = egg loses weight too fast and chick may dehydrate, too humid, not enough air inside for a successful hatch). The ideal total weight loss should be about 13%.

But we don't have the start weight, and I don't know what the 'normal' start weight or ideal end weight should be for a (probable) woodpigeon egg. Can find figures online for hen's eggs but that's not much use to you sad

You could try monitoring the humidity rather than weighing. You can get a cheapo humidity/temperature monitor from amazon. From a random website about incubating hen's eggs: 'During hatch you want high humidity in the range of 65% or more so that the chicks won't get stuck in the shell, but the goal is 40 to 50% for the first 19 days.' I guess that would be the first 14-15 days for a woodpigeon egg as the incubation period is 17 days. I'm pretty sure Reggie is a woodpigeon egg - there really aren't many other options among British birds, most species lay coloured and/or patterned eggs. But of course there is the chance he's something else.

I would be wary of investing too much (financially or emotionally) in this egg, but of course you know that... as you've got pretty interested in the whole process, maybe you could in the future try hatching out a few hen eggs or domestic quail or duck eggs in an incubator, if you have the space/inclination to keep them or find good homes for them once they are grown up?

LookingForwardToMarch Tue 09-Jul-13 12:35:49

oooh will look up humidity monitor, I think I could stretch if it was a cheapo grin

Honestly I am trying to not get too excited/attached, I'm just not very good at it!

Reggie is certainly growing on me!

Buzzardbird Tue 09-Jul-13 20:04:48

Blimey, its a wonder 'crispy' (my friend's duck) survived as he was incubated in a dish floating in the Jacuzzi?
Hopefully seeing friend on Thursday to see whether crispy has flown the nest yet. Will probably have to drown his sorrows in red wine sad

OhBuggerMe Sun 14-Jul-13 22:09:46

can we have an update op?

cosydressinggown Sun 14-Jul-13 23:58:32

How random! I hope it hatches, though. grin

SarahStrattonIsBackForJustABit Mon 15-Jul-13 06:56:45

Really interested to know how Reggie is getting on. I've hand reared a pigeon successfully (those on my Facebook can see his photo), although he was approximately 2 weeks old when brought to me. It's not impossible, but it is incredibly time consuming. He successfully fledged and is still living in my neighbour's tree. We know it's him, as he is obsessed with my neighbour's lovely shiny bald head grin

I have a nest of 4 orphaned wrens, which are due to go out in the aviary today, as a first step to learning how to be wild wrens again.

gobbledegook1 Mon 22-Jul-13 23:46:33

Any news on Reggie?

ThisWayForCrazy Fri 26-Jul-13 19:08:37

Any update???

my2centsis Sat 27-Jul-13 22:50:26

Op?

MoominsYonisAreScary Sat 27-Jul-13 23:01:15

This is exciting!

JollyHolidayGiant Sat 27-Jul-13 23:07:41

Aww, wonder what happened.

altostratus Sat 27-Jul-13 23:08:38

Do wild bird eggs need turning, and so on, just like hens eggs?

GoSuckEggs Sat 27-Jul-13 23:08:42

me too! hope reggie hatched!

KiwiJude Sun 28-Jul-13 05:44:33

Any Reggie update?

When I saw that the thread had revived I thought that there must have been an update from the OP sad
What's the betting that Reggie was a snake! grin

bubblebabeuk Sun 28-Jul-13 06:07:28

Any news did it hatch?

MitMopse Sun 28-Jul-13 07:45:57

Argh no update?! My money was on wood pigeon from the start, very much hoping Reggie would hatch! I think the only common reptile in the UK that lays eggs is the grass snake and didn't sound like it would be that from the description. Hope the little guy made it after all the effort the OP put in. If not, at least they tried which I think was very kind, and sweetly optimistic- I would have assumed an egg on the ground was a goner and left it there. Still have my fingers crossed!

ChristineDaae Sun 28-Jul-13 08:01:31

Marking place in caseOP comes back

OP has vanished, as in no longer exists! sad Tried to message her to get an update, but no luck.

That should probably have said that the OPs name no longer exists on mumsnet as opposed to the OP herself having fallen into a black hole scenario!

gobbledegook1 Tue 30-Jul-13 00:27:25

Oh thats a shame, I hope she comes back.

CuttedUpPear Tue 30-Jul-13 00:30:48

marking place

kezLOU1977 Tue 30-Jul-13 09:02:15

Oh no I can't believe I read this whole thread and got excited to find out what the egg was harbouring and the op has vanished. How odd.

MultumInParvo Tue 30-Jul-13 09:12:00

Well that's 5 minutes I'll never get back!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now