to complain to shop about ice cream cone??

(105 Posts)
Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:06:07

I went to a local ice cream shop yesterday, and really wanted my ice cream in a cone. I noted, however, that the serving staff were using their bare hands to pick up the cone, right after handling money - as i've seen sooo many times in the UK and europe.

I think it's absolutely disgusting, and whilst I have in the past politely asked if they could use a napkin to pick up mine (I apologised and said I was really fussy), this time I didn't want to upset anyone, just had mine in a cup, but then proceeded to write to the shop complaining.

I really don't think I am BU, but maybe I am? I don't understand why others don't complain??? Who can even guarantee that the staff wash their hands after using the loo???

NoComet Sat 06-Jul-13 10:51:20

Good grief, do people, really notice or care about things like this.

I only notice when people do wear gloves, our local shop does (blue non latex) and I just think what a faff and waste of money, resources.

Yes, being carefull as greggs and our local butchers are to have different staff doing pasties/cakes raw-meat/cold meats

But ice cream cones? I bet they don't worry about gloves unloading boxes and filling machines.

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 10:52:39

I am shock at this thread.

The world's gone mad.

It must be the heat. grin

carolthesecretary Sat 06-Jul-13 10:54:27

I've never even thought about this.

Buy a Cornetto if it bothers you that much.

<Wanders off to think about more important things like crisis in Egypt and third world debt>

PseudoBadger Sat 06-Jul-13 10:54:58

Gloves are pointless. You would have to change them in between every transaction and customer to achieve the desired effect.
In a higher- risk food business (sandwich prep etc) regular hand washing is the best thing, and someone taking money separately. Ice cream vans, not so much.

BlameClaimProfit Sat 06-Jul-13 10:56:01

Do you always check your OH washes his cock after going to the loo before you let it near you? I can imagine that kills the passion somewhat.

TSSDNCOP Sat 06-Jul-13 10:56:19

On my 44 years of ice-cream cone consumption <awards self badge> this has never entered my head as a concern.

As an aside, am I alone in thinking those blue gloves many food places now use to be weirdly creepy? I have a bigger issue with blue gloves than nekkid skin. Odd confused

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:56:24

I am actually quite surprised that people seem shocked about this! Perhaps I should get over it, I would love not to mind about this kind of stuff, it's just how I've been raised I suppose (my mum is super fussy about this kind of thing).

As a first exercise I am going to march up to the ice cream shop and eat the cone! <scared>

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:57:13

Blame, errrmmm....

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 10:59:52

TSS I'm not so keen on the blue gloves. Why are they coloured thus?
I can understand a plaster needing to be blue so it is highly visible if it fell into food but I'm sure you'd notice a glove!

TSSDNCOP Sat 06-Jul-13 11:01:00

Go Ginger, go Ginger!

Just brace, lick and shovel.

You can do it.

And think of all the trees you'll save from eschewing paper napkins.

<awards Ginger a badge too>

Bloody hell yadbu! This would never in a million years enter my head. I suggest just eating ice cream at home to save yourself the stress.

carolthesecretary Sat 06-Jul-13 11:02:09

I think hygiene standards are a lot higher than they were when my Mum was a kid. She's told me a few shockers.

I've always thought a bit of dirt and a few germs were good for you personally. I used to cut the mouldy bit off the bread when I was at uni (needs must and all that). I'm still here to tell the tale...

...although this is now all I'll be able to think about when getting an ice cream from now on. Noooooo!

LegArmpits Sat 06-Jul-13 11:03:40

usualsuspect me too. It wouldn't enter my tiny, worry-free mind. Sometimes my head feels like it's going to explode when I take on the extra woes of MN!

TSSDNCOP Sat 06-Jul-13 11:03:56

Death I have considered this. I think it's that they don't fit, so the hand/glove are all puckery and (favourite word alert) flaccid. I know I should be worried about Egypt and global population and stuff, but this is what I choose to worry about in a Pret line grin

Tee2072 Sat 06-Jul-13 11:04:58

Two by two hands of blue...

Mumsyblouse Sat 06-Jul-13 11:05:13

In all honesty, having worked in many restaurants and cafes, can I suggest you never ever eat out if you are that concerned about hygiene. You are only concerned about this because you can see it, but if you saw what goes on behind closed doors, it's a lot worse. Really, if you are that neurotic about germs (and I can't say I've ever had a stomach upset from an ice-cream or indeed eating out except once in 40 odd years) then eating food prepared outside your home is not for you.

Have just asked Ds as he has a summer job on an ice cream cart. The hand that holds the cornet doesn't actually hold money if you think about it. Using the example of a right handed person ,you hold the cornet in your left, you scoop with your right and then take the money/give change with your right so the hand holding cornet doesn't ever come into contact with money anyway.

halcyondays Sat 06-Jul-13 11:06:40

Most places now do seem to put a napkin around the cone.

catgirl1976 Sat 06-Jul-13 11:08:02

In Subway they always put on gloves to do sandwich, then take then off to do cash handling, bin them and put on a fresh pair

All that plastic shock sad

TSSDNCOP Sat 06-Jul-13 11:08:04

Ah Planet the voice of reason. MN can relax and go back to worrying about Egypt and the ever irreconcilable shoes on/shoes off debate.

grin

BlameClaimProfit Sat 06-Jul-13 11:08:52

Do people wash their hands after handling cash? Bearing in mind some currency in circulation is over 30 years old who knows how many unwashed hands it has been in. probably been inside a few bodily orifices too.

TSSDNCOP Sat 06-Jul-13 11:10:48

Is a summer job on a ice cream van just about the best summer job ever?

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 11:11:04

Blame are you saying you keep your loose change in an orifice? shock

DeathByTray Sat 06-Jul-13 11:11:43

I could never work on an ice cream van in the summer - think of the WASPS!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now