to complain to shop about ice cream cone??

(105 Posts)
Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:06:07

I went to a local ice cream shop yesterday, and really wanted my ice cream in a cone. I noted, however, that the serving staff were using their bare hands to pick up the cone, right after handling money - as i've seen sooo many times in the UK and europe.

I think it's absolutely disgusting, and whilst I have in the past politely asked if they could use a napkin to pick up mine (I apologised and said I was really fussy), this time I didn't want to upset anyone, just had mine in a cup, but then proceeded to write to the shop complaining.

I really don't think I am BU, but maybe I am? I don't understand why others don't complain??? Who can even guarantee that the staff wash their hands after using the loo???

ParadiseChick Sat 06-Jul-13 10:27:34

What would the alternative be?

catgirl1976 Sat 06-Jul-13 10:31:53

Germs.

Good for you. smile

Think of them as tiny, extra sprinkles grin

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 06-Jul-13 10:32:22

Wear latex gloves? I've noticed that more and more.

But then what if you're allergic to latex.......

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:33:27

Use a napkin to pick up the cone, or one of those "cone sleeves"?

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:34:12

The problem with latex gloves, is that they're still likely to pick up the money wearing the gloves sad

WeAreEternal Sat 06-Jul-13 10:34:50

I would just ask them to use a napkin.

Although being that the cones sit out all day and you are touching it with your own hands, which will have handled money, I think you are being a little UR to write a letter of complaint.

PseudoBadger Sat 06-Jul-13 10:34:56

The ideal is to have separate people taking money and doing the service. Suggest that?

Montybojangles Sat 06-Jul-13 10:35:17

But you will have touched money when paying, right before you then hold and eat it won't you??

Mrsrobertduvall Sat 06-Jul-13 10:35:41

Have a lolly instead?

PinkSippyCup Sat 06-Jul-13 10:36:38

I hate this too OP! Puts me off buying ice cream, from ice cream vans, unless I get something in a cup/ wrapper.

It's gross and YANBU!

CaptainSweatPants Sat 06-Jul-13 10:37:38

'The ideal is to have separate people taking money and doing the service.'

No one minds in an ice Cream van that's there's just one man!

PinkSippyCup Sat 06-Jul-13 10:38:25

I mind Captain grin

PseudoBadger Sat 06-Jul-13 10:38:38

On the bright side, a waffle cone is not the ideal medium to permit the growth of bacteria. Unless you are washing your own hands in the seconds between handing over the money and receiving the cone YABU.

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:39:03

Pseudo you are absolutely right, and actually I know of a country where by law you're required to have different people serving and taking payment. Having said that I can see how it would be difficult for small businesses, so appreciate it may not always be possible!

Monty you're right, but I try to use one hand for money and another one for the cone if that was completely unavoidable. And, if they did use the napkin, then I could touch just the napkin too, and all would be solved grin

Gingerandcocoa Sat 06-Jul-13 10:40:53

PinkSippy I am glad I'm not alone!!!

Although by the responses it does sound like most people don't really mind, so maybe IABU and will try not to mind too much, maybe I can bring myself to eat the cone next time...

PinkSippyCup Sat 06-Jul-13 10:43:06

I use a napkin.

Also I think touching money i.e one coin to pay with, then handling your own ice cream (although still a little gross!) is not the same has handling loads of money all day in between touching other people's food.

usualsuspect Sat 06-Jul-13 10:43:20

Do people really worry about this?

MN constantly throws up problems I've never even thought about.

Tee2072 Sat 06-Jul-13 10:44:52

Germs are good for you. Embrace them.

BlameClaimProfit Sat 06-Jul-13 10:46:34

OMG indirect human contact.

Demand compensation!

Montybojangles Sat 06-Jul-13 10:46:43

I buy my lunch (if I get a chance) on the run most days, so I'm pretty sure I've touched cash and then my sarnie with the same hand regularly. I don't appear to have come to harm yet.

I would just ask them politely to use a serviette to handle the cone if it's worrying you, I doubt they would upset by you asking.

PinkSippyCup Sat 06-Jul-13 10:47:56

Sorry last post!

I was once in an ice cream queue when someone asked about which cone size cost what. The ICM picked up a small and medium (full palm grip) and held them up. The lady in front of me complained grinand told him he should be wearing gloves.

I mean seriously who wants to eat a sweaty ice cream cone <boak>

Montybojangles Sat 06-Jul-13 10:48:17

grin Tee I lean to that way of thinking too. Though obviously wouldn't recommend rubbing a raw chicken or such against your cornetto

perplexedpirate Sat 06-Jul-13 10:49:18

I think this might be the firstest worldest problem evah!
Are we all keeling over after eating contaminated ice cream cones? No.
So it's fine.

Yonihadtoask Sat 06-Jul-13 10:49:26

I always throw away the cone. Agree that if is v unhygienic.

Write to the shop, I am sure there could be a way that they could serve without touching the actual cone. Must be some paper wrappers that could go around the cone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now