To ask how to conceive a boy?

(84 Posts)
ChickenLickenSticken Sat 06-Jul-13 08:44:35

At my 10 day check with dd my midwife said "well done getting a girl, they are harder to conceive... Next time if you want a boy, give me a shout and I'll tell you how"... She's got nearly 40 years mw experience so I kind of believe her, but am not going to ring the doctors surgery and ask them o ask her for me!!

Do any of you lot know what she banging on about?? Surely any tips are purely anecdotal?

I remember hearing that girl sperm and boy sperm survive/swim differently but can't remember what way round.

Day 3 of ewcm here and whilst we're not ttc for a couple of months it'd be interesting to know these things, even if they are all a bit pie in the sky??

So come one, tell me your experiences and tips of choosing your baby's gender?

<only semi-serious by the way>

acheekyvimto Sun 07-Jul-13 00:09:45

As others have sex, DS must have been conceived around 4 days before ovulation (the joys of a 12 month old) and DD2 about ovulation.

Every 2 day suffices and the sex of a child is a lottery.

ClartyCarol Sun 07-Jul-13 00:18:11

Gah, now I'm a minger.

WinkyWinkola Sun 07-Jul-13 07:17:51

Assuming a woman's PH is the same all time, lurcherlover.

cannotfuckingbelievethis Sun 07-Jul-13 07:36:32

How the hell does she know this given that she only gets involved "after the event" ? Is she usually in the room at conception shouting "left a bit...no, no, right a bit...ok. go.....pump, pump, pump !"

Good luck with the wee boy if that's what you want grin

Kafri Sun 07-Jul-13 07:47:35

Errr!!

I had IVF with ICSI where they pick out the best quality egg and sperm and inject the sperm directly into the egg. (For medical reasons, not for some mad woman, choose the sex, hair colour, personality of baby beforehand) and it was still a 50/50.

I'm firmly in the camp of you have a baby and love whatever sex appears.

PS your MW sounds potty and rather than ringing the docs to ask her advice on having a boy, I'd be ringing asking for a different MW
visions of her telling you to cast a spell of protected sex on Tuesday lunchtime followed by chips and egg for tea then unprotected sex on Wednesday, no later than 6pm and hey Presto - pregnant and it's a boy

Dinosaurdrip Sun 07-Jul-13 08:25:18

I was told that if you orgasm while having sex this produces a good environment for boy sperm and if you don't that more girl sperm will survive.

I have 2 DS, ds2 was conceived on day 14 of a 28 day cycle (i know this because we only had sex once that month) and when ttc dc3 after a mmc there were a few months where we were dtd 4 days before ov and me not 'enjoying' it so much (because I thought a girl would complete my family) silly i know! these months produced bfn after bfn.

I then took to picking DP up on his lunch break to rush him home for a quickie blush whenever we got the chance, right up to when I ovulated and there it was the longed for bfp. Dd1 was born so all theories were incorrect.

babysbreath Sun 07-Jul-13 08:30:11

If you want a boy, make sure your partner is not a pilot.

Most pilots have girls, as the sex ratio for non flying people is 50/50 and for fighter pilots it is a ratio of boys to girls of 38/62.

All to do with G force. wink

SuffolkNWhat Sun 07-Jul-13 14:30:19

Lurcherlover interesting theory about larger family's. My maternal great great grandmother was one of 13, all girls. Maternal great grandmother one of 10, all girls, maternal grandmother one of 6, all girls.

It's only been since she had 2, my Mum had 2, my aunt had 3, I'm on my second (all girls) that smaller family size has come into existence in our family.

ComposHat Sun 07-Jul-13 17:20:09

The only thing I have heard is that having sex 'doggy' style is more likely to produce boys. Not sure if it's true though'

Reminds me of the old joke: three pregnant women meet in a cafe. The first one says 'I'm having a boy because my husband was on top when we conceived.'

'Oh right' says the second woman 'we're having a girl because I was on top when we conceived.'

The third woman, looking anxious blurted out 'oh god I must be having puppies then.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now