To think you can't judge a child by their name??

(413 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Jul-13 21:45:26

Would you judge a child by their first name?

Katie Hopkins on this morning was saying how she judged the children her children play with by their names.

There's a YouTube video but can't link it

revealall Mon 08-Jul-13 23:12:35

PriyaKoothrappali - agreed!

I'm not sure the whole Dick and Willy thing makes any difference though to people naming their children Richard and William. They are very traditional names and the shortened versions are just part of being a bloke.

Fanny being feminine and therefore utterly disgusting has died a death.

Zynnia Mon 08-Jul-13 22:52:43

I went to school with a Andy Niblock and he was OBVIOUSLY called Randy Noblick for six years.

Priyakoothrappali, interesting theory.

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 21:36:59

I know of quite a few families whose older child/ren have quite 'conservative' names then they have a younger one with a more 'liberal' name. It's often as if the parents have relaxed and don't care what people think anymore and choose the name they've always loved. For example I know a Sarah and her younger sister Coralie.

CaterpillarCara Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:28

DP and his siblings are Edward, Hugo and Cindy.

If you think they don't match, then you judge names.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 19:44:38

Lilka grin grin

I can across a paediatrician called Roger Young once, which I felt was unfortunate.

Lilka Mon 08-Jul-13 19:10:31

Also speaking of Bond - forget the girls questionable names, what about Roger Moore? wink grin

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 17:39:38

Speaking of Bond Girls - Pussy Galore. Totally innocent of course wink. No judgements to be made there.

They named the Bond girl in Moonraker Holly Goodhead in 1979, so unless someone's going to argue that that was an entirely innocent choice...?

YoniWheretheSunDontShine Mon 08-Jul-13 16:59:47

We know MN judge by names in a horrific way!

We all know Tarquin and Octavias shop at waitrose and eat humous...

Rupert and any slightly posh sounding names have been slammed to high heavens over the years on here!

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 15:51:27

I also interviewed someone with the name Butt. However, the whole family as a oner, changed their name by deedpoll and when we asked him why, he said 'WE JUST DID..ALRIGHT???!!' grin. sorry. I have drifted from the point of the original OP blush.

Yours,
Chardonnay Falulla Smith.

Yes, I would agree that the parents should have been well aware that the name Richard goodhead would raise eyebrows/guffaws in 1990. If he'd been born in the 40s or 50s, I can see that they might have thought nothing of the name. But you'd have to have been living in a box for decades not to give it some thought in 1990.

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Jul-13 11:09:41

Yes, that might be newer. We didn't cover goodhead in English lessons grin.

But I would still guess that they knew. Certainly at school at the time there was a lot of graffiti along the lines of "X gives good head" etc.

And to draw on random references, because I really don't want to google "good head", I remember the 1970's remake of King Kong, where the lead actress makes a reference to the film Deep Throat, released a couple of years before the KK remake.

I haven't seen DT but I suspect that it, and other films like it in the 70's/80's, had put 'good head' in the public vocabulary well before this boy's parents decided that Richard went well with their surname. grin

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Jul-13 10:56:30

X-posted. He wasn't old at all. Parents must have known. I was fifteen in 1990 and you couldn't move at school without someone calling you a dick for something.

It's the goodhead combination with Richard that is probably newer though.

SarahAndFuck Mon 08-Jul-13 10:53:04

I think the word Dick as slang for penis started sometime in the late 1800's.

Obviously the name Richard was in use hundreds of years earlier but even in Shakespeare's time it was being shortened and the name Dick was being already being used as slang to mean men/man in the street. Shakespeare used "every Tom, Dick and Francis" in the way we say "Tom, Dick and Harry" as a way to say 'everybody' or 'every man'.

But I think by the 1890's Dick was being used as Military slang in particular to mean penis.

So unless PriyaKoothrappali's interview subject was very, very old, his parents must have known what they were doing to him with that name.

Yes. It does seem a slightly odd choice in 1990, even if it was absolutely fine in 1948. I can only assume it was a family name.

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 10:46:26

He was born in 1990. I think that it would have been just as amusing then. But I was only 13 then, so I don't know.

CatsAndTheirPizza Mon 08-Jul-13 10:46:21

Is she really a consultant? Blimey! Stupid woman to express views like those if she has any sort of sensible career.

I'd imagine that Richard Goodhead's parents named him long before slang made his name ridiculous. There is absolutely no way you can future-proof a child's name.

PriyaKoothrappali Mon 08-Jul-13 10:15:06

TheSecondComing I know a Tristam who's parents are on benefits! Don't know what class they'd be considered as though.

I do tend to judge the parents. For example I interviewed a Richard Goodhead once. What were his parents thinking?!

I remember once seeing a little toddler called Audrey about 10 years ago and I was really surprised, thinking, who these days would call their daughter Audrey? Yet now I think its completely normal and I know of a few little Audreys. Names are very much of the time.

Regardless of class, there are lots of connotations of Poppy, Poppy-Mae, Lily-Mae, Lily, Rose, Lacey, Archie, Harry..I know of a little Phoenix and an Izabellah. They are all names that in 40 years will feel like middle aged names like Claire, Julie, Richard, Kevin etc do now.

Boomba Mon 08-Jul-13 10:11:15

spaniel your right I think. It may be reasonable to assume 'Chardonnay' and 'Rocky' are workig class but unreasonable to think they can't be doctors/lawyers or won't be suitable friends

It's only people like Katie watserface missing out though

SpanielFace Mon 08-Jul-13 10:04:38

I think many people tend to make assumptions on people based on their name - their age, gender, social class and ethnicity. It's human nature, and based on patterns we see every day. For example, most Ednas I have met are elderly, most Sanjits are of Asian origin, most Horatios are a bit posh, most Aoifes are Irish. However, I have a friend called Chardonnay who is a trainee solicitor, and another friend's baby was delivered by a doctor called Rocky, so assumptions are not always correct. And to go from making an (possibly incorrect) assumption about a child's ethnicity or family background based on their name, to stopping your children from playing with them, is snobbery at its worst.

Boomba Mon 08-Jul-13 09:21:20

I know people who use an English sounding name on job applications and CVs, and they say it does affect whether they are invited for interview

TBH, I am waiting for the day when KH is wheeled out to spout off yet more views and someone brings up her not so pure past on live TV. That might stir things up a bit.

working9while5 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:14:38

I have had that farewellfarewell, I have a Brendan and a Rory. I specifically called him Rory to avoid spelling issues, but apparently it is "chav" and "Ruairi" would have been higher class (despite being pronounced entirely differently!).

I think to be fair that the negative assocations with Irish boys' names reflect the history of Irish people in Britain being poor and there is an unconscious anti-Irish sentiment attached to it.

Interestingly, people are aware that it isn't okay to talk about names like Ali, Abdul or Muawiyah in a way that betrays anti-Muslim sentiment but they seem unaware of the implicit judgement, snobbery and xenophobia in reacting to Irish names as often happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now