To think you can't judge a child by their name??

(413 Posts)
SaveWaterDrinkMalibu Thu 04-Jul-13 21:45:26

Would you judge a child by their first name?

Katie Hopkins on this morning was saying how she judged the children her children play with by their names.

There's a YouTube video but can't link it

jamdonut Thu 04-Jul-13 22:19:52

You shouldn't judge by names, no , but I and my colleagues know that children who go by the name Joshua are more likely than not to be "challenging". Even my class teacher, whose own son is called this,says the same and actually wishes she hadn't called her son that name.(Even though he is actually a lovely boy!)

MissFenella Thu 04-Jul-13 22:20:14

I didn't choose either of my daughter's names. I live in hope we are not judged for them. I make a start by not judging myself.

usualsuspect Thu 04-Jul-13 22:20:17

Sorry, I can't read tonight.

Kristyl isn't that bad.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 04-Jul-13 22:20:51

Maybe they were Dynasty fans...?

nemno Thu 04-Jul-13 22:22:02

It really shouldn't make a difference but it obviously does.

A GF of mine was mortified to reveal her new man's name was Trevor. But all her friends soon came to realise that his name was one of the better things about him. He was a really arrogant lawyer!

kritur Thu 04-Jul-13 22:23:48

I think kiwiinkits is objecting to Kristy not Kirsty.... Kristy is not 'common' I don't think. I have never met anyone called Kristy, a few called Christy/Christie. It is most often thought of an an American name. It is also the name of a university senior lecturer in chemistry... Me!

usualsuspect Thu 04-Jul-13 22:24:04

Why would you judge someone by their name anyway, it's not like they chose it.

kritur Thu 04-Jul-13 22:26:14

I never knew such snobbery existed about my name... I shall go and crack open a can of Stella and eat fish and chips from the wrapper whilst sat on a couch in my front garden a la shameless...

miffybun73 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:28:20

No, you can't judge the children, but you can certainly judge their parents.

exoticfruits Thu 04-Jul-13 22:29:50

Snap, miffy-I came on to say that and you had said it!

littlewhitebag Thu 04-Jul-13 22:30:13

Funnily enough i work as a SW and there are names that crop up time and time again amongst clients. I can't possibly tell you what they are for fear your DC have those names too.

Kristyl has, it seems, the problem that people commonly think it's a typo!

usualsuspect Thu 04-Jul-13 22:30:50

Are you so stupid that you would judge someone by their name though.

mynicknamedoesntmeanathing Thu 04-Jul-13 22:31:27

I have a Joshua, and a teacher friend said he was the complete opposite to most Joshua's she knows.

No?

TheSecondComing Thu 04-Jul-13 22:33:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zynnia Thu 04-Jul-13 22:35:29

Hopkins is one of the most embarrassingly banal sur names I can think of. Not sure my own is all that distinguished but it's no wonder she won't judge sur names with Hopkins on her passport!

Talkinpeace Thu 04-Jul-13 22:35:38

my children have family names so say more about my ancestors that me

Zynnia Thu 04-Jul-13 22:36:03

Not that I would give it a thought. Your sur name is your sur name, the end.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Thu 04-Jul-13 22:41:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Thu 04-Jul-13 22:43:00

You would get a shock If you judged my DDs nice MC name.

Because nice MC girl she ain't.

thegreylady Thu 04-Jul-13 22:45:54

My ds has a poshish name-Guy but it was after a character I loved in a children's book. Dh wanted him to be Chad so I think he got off lightly. He is a quite successful businessman now so has grown into his name :-)

flipchart Thu 04-Jul-13 22:46:06

There are names I really dislike. However that does not make me dislike the parents or the child.
That's just bonkers.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Thu 04-Jul-13 22:47:11

I hate to admit that yes I think SOME names you can judge what "class" someone is from. I personally couldnt give a shit about this stuff though. I have never once said to DD "ooh you're not going to that kids party because he's dead common!" firstly I'd be a massive hypocrite grin and secondly a total dickhead to behave that way. I have no idea if the names my kids are considered chavvy or posh and I don't care. I like them, they seem to as well.

Katie fucking Hopkins is a troll though. She is wheeled out to cause offense and get people talking. I have nothing against either of the names she has given her daughters (the other is called Poppy I think) but c'mon, neither one of those names screams higher class or posh. Both are pretty well used and will probably date quickly.

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Thu 04-Jul-13 22:48:18

God I couldn't imagine agonising over what people would think of our class when picking a name. We chose one we liked for dd (despite being told repeatedly that it was "chavvy"). It does concern me that some people may judge and treat dd in a different way to an Ophelia but that could happen in reverse with a less "chavvy" name anyway so you can't win. Its a shame I won't know who is judging us based on names. It would make the sadder people in life much easier to avoid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now