To think the Met spending £5 million on Maddie McCann is unfair on others who have missing children

(457 Posts)
Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 18:24:08

I know how retched I would feel if I were in the McCanns position, and would want no expense to be spared in the hunt for answers.

But I can't help but think that this case has been so high profile that other cases must have funding cut or not even be followed up as the budget is limited.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, but it does seem this case has benefitted in ways others wouldn't.

I feel bad for thinking its unfair on others, but just can't help wondering how other victims of serious crime feel.

expatinscotland Thu 04-Jul-13 19:33:12

Ilovemyself, what an apt nickname.

No, I don't think you know how wretched you would feel in their position. It's a good thing, too, but as a pretext for hoiking up your judgeypants, a poor show.

YABU.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 19:34:17

Appollo1234. You have confused the life out of me now. One post pro and one I guess anti.

Londonderrysue Thu 04-Jul-13 19:34:17

Katrice Lee has been missing for 32 years but most people have never heard of her.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Thu 04-Jul-13 19:34:56

This is a mean-spirited thread to start

Wretched in fact

HeySoulSister Thu 04-Jul-13 19:35:43

What happened to all the money the mcanns raised?

Yamyoid Thu 04-Jul-13 19:36:52

It would be good if half the money spent on the royal family was spent on public services.

expatinscotland Thu 04-Jul-13 19:37:17

Why don't you ask them, Hey, they have a website.

HeySoulSister Thu 04-Jul-13 19:37:23

Which cases are those ILoveMyself

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 19:39:05

Jaimieandthemagictourch. It is not mean hearted to the mother of the girl in Egypt. That is my point. There are other cases that seem to be quietly forgotten

Debsndan Thu 04-Jul-13 19:39:58

YABVVU.

I don't get why the Met are doing it and not Leicestershire police.

expatinscotland Thu 04-Jul-13 19:40:05

Do you know how those other parents feel about the McCanns? Have you asked them if they feel shortchanged?

CloudsAndTrees Thu 04-Jul-13 19:40:06

Can you link to details of the other case if you are going to bring it into this and compare it with the McCann case?

There is very little the police can do when a child is taken out of the country by their own parent unless they have the full cooperation of the other country involved.

My children have gone away with their Dad (who did not get automatic parental responsibility) without me. Was he acting illegally as well?

apollo1234 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:40:19

I thought the McCann's spent all the money suing people who tried to share a dissenting viewpoint.

janey68 Thu 04-Jul-13 19:47:34

The Met have had a terrible press over recent years. Of course they need something massively positive PR wise. Anyone who genuinely believes the McCann case is being treated on an equal footing with other cases is naive. The case has been massively high profile and the Met want to be see to be actively pursuing it . That fact does not mean its necessarily an effective use of finite funds. Neither does it mean there will be a positive outcome in terms of rescuing MM or determining where she is and what happened.

Am ready to be proved Wrong but honestly after 6 years and all the private investigations and money which has been thrown at it ? hmm

And no that doesn't make me hard hearted or a daily express reader, just realistic. And interested in equitable distribution of funds.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 19:51:14

Janey68. That is exactly what I am getting at.

And for those asking for a link it is here

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21183407

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 19:53:43

Cloudsandtrees. See the link above.

In that case the police state it is the local polices responsibility to deal with the issue as it is in their jurisdiction. This is completely the opposite to the met.

ShabbyButNotChic Thu 04-Jul-13 19:53:55

Yanbu..i have every sympathy for people whose kids are missing, i imagine it to be one of the most horrific things you could ever go through, and all lines of enquiry should be exhausted, but, i do feel that the mcanns have had a million times more press, money and resources than other families and i dont think that is fair.
I also dont see why after the sheer amount of investigation that has happened, nobody has a clear story of what happened that night, nothing seems to add up, and i honestly think that the investigation was ruined from the start with bad policing, lack of statements etc. i personally dont think they will ever get her back, i think shes long gone.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 04-Jul-13 19:55:59

From your link, it sounds like the British police are doing all they can reasonably do. The father is in custody here, but the child was taken in Egypt! How would more money from police funds help here? They can't torture the father to make him say where his child is, and they can't just barge into Egypt and take over an investigation.

So that case is completely irrelevant.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 20:01:01

Cloudsandtrees it's not. The met want to take over the investigation in Portugal, so why not the one in Egypt?

SigmundFraude Thu 04-Jul-13 20:01:03

Yes, five million should be spent on the hunt for her. And every other missing child.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 04-Jul-13 20:07:09

Maybe because she's with family over there. Maybe because the police know that the investigation in Egypt was as thorough as it could reasonably be , whereas in Portugal it blatantly wasn't.

I do think there is a big difference between a parent taking a child and a stranger.

BarbarianMum Thu 04-Jul-13 20:11:00

Um, they do need the permission of the relevant authorities to 'take over' you know. Portugal have agreed, perhaps Egypt has not? It's not a colony any more.

Ilovemyself Thu 04-Jul-13 20:13:00

Have Portugal agreed. That I wasn't aware of. Thanks

BarbarianMum Thu 04-Jul-13 20:16:07

I think so although I have to admit I can't remember my source blush

Oh OP seriously - you're bothered about how much is spent on looking for sombody's taken child? Really? This is an incredibly rich country. We can stand the cost. These decisions are not based on 'shall we look for this child or shall we do that for another'. The decisions are based on what's possible. What can be done. You know perfectly well that if that was your child (and I agree with expat you don't know how wretched the parents are and neither do I) you would be clamouring for every penny. I can't even imagine the horror of losing your child and not knowing how or why or when. The met can spend what they like as far as I'm concerned. Peace of mind is beyond money and quibbling about this is really unpleasant actually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now