To think most people wouldn't carry on speaking on their mobile while being served in a shop?

(256 Posts)
angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 09:14:45

On Lorraine (sorry) this morning they were talking about a case in which a cashier refused to serve someone until they finished their mobile phone conversation. What kind of person would carry on speaking on their mobile while being served. I've never seen it happen but clearly it does. Manners? Anyone?

PralinesWithExtraCream Thu 04-Jul-13 22:21:42

My job is a shop job, it involves me asking the customer questions about what they would like such as do you want this, do you want that, would you like me to do this etc. We do not have a till with a screen that the customer looks at, I tell them how much it is and they pay.

Lots of shops don't have screens for tills and lots of shops, especially food ones have to interact and it is hard to do so when the person is on the phone. Not every shop is a simple scan, look, pay and go.

Alot of people also look down upon shop workers and cashiers. It is a sad world sometimes.

rottentomatoes Thu 04-Jul-13 22:09:55

Can you give me examples praline

PralinesWithExtraCream Thu 04-Jul-13 21:11:05

It's not just cashiers in supermarkets who endure this, many shops do not have a screen you can look at and lots of shops also involve being served by someone where you have to answer certain questions when being served.

rottentomatoes Thu 04-Jul-13 20:11:37

The bottom line is cashiering nowadays is a robotic job. Bleep bleep...say company sales line verbatim...would you like fries with that? Do you want cash back? yawn!

There is no genuine interaction, many of the superstores have taken the 'local' out of the shop. The shop assistant doesn't know the customer and that's the problem.
The job IS robotic and impersonal.

I agree it is polite to not ignore the cashier but a smile and a nod should be enough. Both of which can be done whilst on the phone.

There is nothing urgent or vital a cashier will ever need to ask. We can read the screens for the amount and read when to retrieve our card and enter our pin number.

strawberryswing Thu 04-Jul-13 20:01:12

Not the same thing but my doctor answered his phone the other day in the middle of my appointment, about his son being picked up from football! He did ask if it was okay, and I couldn't really say no but I was a bit confused

bit of common respect between two individual wouldn't go amiss. YANBU.

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 19:17:09

*sweat

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 19:15:48

hardly think a student on a till will remember me in years to come that i was a woman on the phone 10 years ago ,if they end up doing root canal on me ,i dont see it as rude . you do .end of .lifes to short an all that .i dont bear a grudge with the cashiers who dont tell me how much my stuff is or ask if i want a bag . some people just dont swaet the small stuff wink

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 19:13:08

rotten

I'll concede the point re doctors,though not about manners and general ignorance.

rottentomatoes Thu 04-Jul-13 19:11:10

brilliant has a point.

The doctor scenario is not comparable because the doctor will be talking about something personal and important in the persons life.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 19:05:29

brilliant

People like you lack foresight. Young checkout operator could well be a student and end up being someone whose opinion is rather important in relation to you.

You'd be surprised how many rude customers are remembered.

I really enjoy coming across them in my current job. They don't enjoy it quite so much though grin

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 19:00:21

i dont care if check out police judge me , they are not important in my life wink

Sirzy Thu 04-Jul-13 18:55:46

Then if you want to answer your phone wait to go to the checkout otherwise don't be surprised if people judge you as being rude and ignorant.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 18:38:39

brilliant

Of course you do smile

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 18:37:13

Alisvolatpropiis if im going to the doctors im there to talk about my health so that would take priority over anyone phoning me , if im in a shop and my family phone they take priority , its not about being a snob , its about assessing the situation im in ,oh and its my life to do as i please smile

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 18:32:42

A question you seem unable to answer. It is just a snobbish attitude you have then smile

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 18:31:22

Alisvolatpropiisyou seem to be a bit obsessed with the doctor question smile

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 18:21:26

brilliant

Does the same apply when you're being seen by a doctor then? Because your family are more important? Or are you just being an incredible snob?

brilliantwhite Thu 04-Jul-13 18:17:13

i would answer my phone if someone in my family was phoning, they are far more important than some stranger scanning my shopping .

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 18:14:54

Out of interest xylem - would you answer a call whilst being seen by a doctor because it was "important"? Probably not and yet - the doctor is providing a service too.

Sirzy Thu 04-Jul-13 17:58:49

Looking down on someone because of their job is a horrible attitude.

If your call is important then wait to go to the checkout until you have finished or are able to say to the person you are talking to "just give me a minute I am at the till"

Catsize Thu 04-Jul-13 17:57:55

Just saw the petrol story. Priceless. Well, £67.50 I suppose...

Catsize Thu 04-Jul-13 17:54:34

Xylem, your view is horrible. And unbelievable. I only hope any kids you have don't pick up this attitude.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 04-Jul-13 17:44:54

xylem

Your views on people are fundamentally unpleasant.

Most of us "serve" people one way or another in our jobs. It's just considered okay by people like you to treat people who work in any kind of outright "service" industry badly.

5Foot5 Thu 04-Jul-13 17:09:41

xylem8 I am afraid I fundamentally disagree. Just because, in a particular scenario, someone's role is to serve you - whether that be at a checkout, in a restaurant or wherever, that does not mean you should treat them with any less courtesy or respect than you would anyone in any other situation. Not in my book anyway.

And talking on the phone and disregarding the person who is serving you does not count as courteous or respectful behaviour I don't think.

crashdoll Thu 04-Jul-13 16:52:31

xylem As humans, we are equals. The fact that you think that a cashier is not equal to you says an awful lot about you and not in a good way!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now