To think most people wouldn't carry on speaking on their mobile while being served in a shop?

(256 Posts)
angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 09:14:45

On Lorraine (sorry) this morning they were talking about a case in which a cashier refused to serve someone until they finished their mobile phone conversation. What kind of person would carry on speaking on their mobile while being served. I've never seen it happen but clearly it does. Manners? Anyone?

YummyYummyYum Wed 03-Jul-13 11:03:32

Cashier not rude, customer rude. And I also don't like small talk from cashiers but I am aware they could be sacked if they don't ask you silly things about your shopping or upselling.

And that is why I am glad I do not have to that job again, lots of people seem to think cashiers/customer service staff are beneath them

thebody Wed 03-Jul-13 11:04:28

It's not disrespectful at all. I worked on a till and I couldn't give a rats ass. As long as I was paid at the end of a shift I couldn't give a crap whether a customer chatted to me or on the phone or not at all.

It's a job.

I have incredibly rude parents now and in my days as a nurse incredibly rude patients and relatives who I couldn't actually refuse to treat/ liaise with.

Get over yourselves.

YummyYummyYum Wed 03-Jul-13 11:04:51

And that cashier is probably going to have an investigation/disciplinary or will be fired.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 11:05:22

Well if that don't beat all Mustard grin

xylem8 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:07:35

The cashier was rude, she is employed to serve the customer, do a job of work not have a social interraction with a customer who doesn't want it.
She needs to get over herself!

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 11:07:39

I have incredibly rude parents now

That's no way to talk about the people who brought you into the world Body grin

Get over yourselves.

Straight back at ya! Incredibly there are things more important in the world than your right to carry on a phone call!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 03-Jul-13 11:07:58

If it's an important call I will smile at the cashier, mouth 'sorry', keep making eye contact and carry on doing both & thank the cashier. If it's not an important call I'll ask the person on the phone to wait a minute. I can multi-task thanks Schoolgovenor and (to others), some of us have more important calls to take than our friends/kids/DH's calling us where it it not possible or appropriate to 'call back' in 5 minutes.

Yes - we all survived before mobile phones, but now we don't have to. We don't have to stay at home all day waiting for the hospital to call - we can go about our lives and take the call on a mobile phone - isn't modern life great.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 11:09:09

And in fact if what I read was true (who can say) the cashier was possibly rather more lippy than she should have been but she gladdened my heart nevertheless and she would have got a cheer from me if I'd been in the queue!

YummyYummyYum Wed 03-Jul-13 11:10:09

And to everyone who thinks it's ok, would you talk on your mobile phone when visiting the GP? After all, you are just there to get a diagnosis/medical help, it's not a social event... right? angry

Beeyump Wed 03-Jul-13 11:12:37

Visit to GP/buying something in a shop - COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

EvieanneVolvic Wed 03-Jul-13 11:13:41

I'm a GP - have once had a patient take a phone call and chat away whilst I was examining her and doing a smear

You would have thought so Yummy but lookit what Mustard said!!

xylem8 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:13:43

Yummy - different scenario because you need to communicate it is a consultation!!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Wed 03-Jul-13 11:13:56

YummyYummyYum LOL really, you are scraping the bottom of the bottle there, because that's exactly the same thing as buying a pint of milk of course hmmgrin but if it was the school calling or something like that, then yes, I would take the call and ascertain how important it was.

youaintallthat Wed 03-Jul-13 11:17:05

I think it depends if it's an emergency call then I don't see a problem. I used to work on a checkout when I was a student and I never minded the people on phones who would acknowledge you with a smile.

But the people who spoke on the phone and acted like you didn't even exist bugged me. But I would have never refused to serve them, I just didn't say thanks, bye or smile at them when they paid.

But anyone working on checkouts will know that the kind of people who act as if you don't exist by being on the phone would most likely be just as rude to you if they didn't have a phone in their face.

I think it's the general attitude of the person i think you can still be on the phone and polite. I had one man tell me to 'put the goods through faster slave as he was In a rush' and that was way ruder than anyone with a phone.

They were both rude.

When I was a sales assistant I fucking hated people blathering away on their phone when at the till but it was my job to serve and be polite. I wouldn't have dreamt of saying anything.

My rule of thumb when in retail was if someone was being rude and ignorant then put up and shut up and smile, they are afterall the paying customer (moaning about them once out of earshot of customers was always therapeutic) If they were abusive then I would obviously say something.

Although whilst working my redundancy notice I used to have fun asking loud, bright and breezy questions and making happy remarks about the toys they were buying. The confusion and irritation on their faces would make me smile.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 03-Jul-13 11:22:19

I hate this! I use to be a bank cashier and alot of business customers would walk in talking on The phone and stay on it throughout their whole transaction only stopping to bark orders at me and then back to their phone conversation. Very rude.

I also hate shops where the staff on the counter answer the shop phone while there is a queue infront of them. Imo you should deal with the customers infront of you and then sort the phone enquiries.

littlepeas Wed 03-Jul-13 11:36:21

I think it's fine as long as you acknowledge the cashier, smile, make eye contact, mouth thank you - body language is more significant when communicating anyway.

MabliD Wed 03-Jul-13 12:11:14

Hmmmm seems to be a bit of a superiority complex going on with some of the on the phoners hmm.

You realise that you're not making some statement about upselling to 'the man' when you're rude to the cashier? You're just being rude to some poor sod on minimum wage trying to do their job.

If a customer apologises for being on the phone I assume the call is necessary. Otherwise I just think they're an arse. Of course I don't actually have a mobile phone any more and manage my life pretty well, so am a bit bemused by the whole thing tbh.

imnotmymum Wed 03-Jul-13 12:13:59

It is rude and bad manners. Not about a relationship with cashier but a good morning nice day etc ...

I agree with Chipping, especially if you've been queueing for ages. In our supermarket there is a mobile reception black hole so calls/messages always come through just as you get to the check out anyhow.

Would never do it during a doctors appointment though, although I might email or text during a smear (not sure I could manage a conversation) but that would be because I hate them, get very nervous, and it could take my mind off things.

DoctorRobert Wed 03-Jul-13 12:27:43

I'm perfectly capable of talking on the phone AND packing my shopping / paying / saying yes/no to loyalty card. I didn't realise it was seen as being so rude. I thought cashiers hated having to make inane small talk anyway, so surely it gives them a break

Crinkle77 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:30:19

Yes I have seen it happen. They carry on having their conversation and holding up the queue. My local Bargain Booze had a sign up asking customers not to use their mobiles while being served. Although it works the other way round. Staff answering the phone while serving is equally as annoying.

SkinnybitchWannabe Wed 03-Jul-13 12:38:34

I cant wait to go to work tonight to see if any of my customers talk about this!
Im a cashier and if someone is on their phone and doesnt even look at me I fling their shopping down the belt, give them an unopened bag, interupt them to tell them the price and then totally ignore them and dont say thankyou or goodbye.
I give great customer service and have done for the past 22 years. If you're rude to me..Im rude right back.

LittleBoxes Wed 03-Jul-13 12:40:42

The only phone calls I ever get on my mobile are either work calls (important, have to be answered), ones from DD's school (presume important, have to answer the call to find out how important), or DH phoning (usually with something important). I don't really do general chinwagging on the phone. So if my mobile rings at the till, it's going to be important. So I'll answer it, while smiling and apologising to the person on the till and usually spilling the contents of my handbag all over the floor.

fairylightsinthespring Wed 03-Jul-13 12:42:47

It isn't great and should be avoided when possible, but I have on several occasions, got to the front of a queue, just started being served and phone has rung, someone that I have been playing answerphone tennis with, to do with a house purchase for instance, and I need to speak to them - I always make eye-contact, mouth "sorry" and get off as quick as poss but calling back is not an option as if I do, the v busy person on the other end will already be engaged on another call and off we go again. People are easily offended if they really can't understand that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now