To think we have a weird thing about child nakedness in the UK?

(96 Posts)
Pantone363 Mon 01-Jul-13 11:05:21

On the beach yesterday. 3 families getting their children changed into swimming suits/uv suits/bio hazard no suns getting through this sucker suits. All huddling around the children (small children, not teens) one parent holding up towels whilst the other gets them changed.

I'm biased because until 5 yrs old my kids are usually naked on the beach, but they seem so scared that someone might see a glimpse of naked child skin.

Also dads sitting on the beach with shoes on. All day. WHY?

Wishihadabs Tue 02-Jul-13 06:58:32

I will admit to looking at tiny ones playing naked because I think it's adorable. Dd loves to be naked (6 nearly 7) but we do insist on bikini bottoms/pants in public. Both of mine played naked in water till they were school age.

This is definitely a English/British thing, in Austria you are not allowed to use the sauna in a swimsuit, you must be naked.

crumblepie Tue 02-Jul-13 08:43:20

i find it strange that you noticed people getting changed under towels ,cant see why it would it bother you that they didnt want anyone seeing their kids naked ,if you want to parade your kids in front of people thats your choice , shame for them though .

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 08:43:35

Yabvu just cpbecause your happy with your child running nekkid on the beach does not mean we all ave to be. Each to their own and all that. I would not be happy with my child running nacked on a public beach and someone lurking with a long angled lense taking photos of my mpnacked child for their own enjoyment. Yes there are. Teir was a thread a couple of moth ago about the op reporting someone going up to parents wanting to take pictures of children, his intentions were not good. Other mumsnet terms reported on tat tread other similar incidences on th beach

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 08:45:08

Other mumsnetters aso reported similar things on beaches. Covering up in public is not wrong at all

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 09:13:41

Just because I do want to parade round nacked in public places dies not mean I have body issues or hang ups hmm. My dc see me naced at home getting dressed after shower, but I don't feel th need tostrip down at a public poor or sauna

MrsOakenshield Tue 02-Jul-13 09:30:54

we have so mnay hang ups about nudity in this country and it starts at childhood. It's very sad. There was that thread about girls wearing shorts under their school dresses, and the one about someone coming over from Sweden and wondering about 7 year olds being naked in the park over here (normal there) and so many people were like, ooh, no, not over the age of 2.

I had to have an internal scan in a hospital in Amsterdam once. Over here you're given a sheet to wrap your bottom half in. There I had to walk across the huge consulting room naked from the waist down, with my sister in the room. Felt a bit odd but refreshing too - it's just a body, we all have them.

My mum lived in Norway way back, when children would bow or curtsey to adults. She said it was very odd meeting children she knew in the sauna, they were all naked, but the little girls would still curtsey to her!

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 10:18:38

Just because I want a little bit of me to be private does not mean we have body hang ups. MrsOak I would have asked for a sheet if you felt uncomfortable. I am happy with my skin, yes I'm not a size 10 and I have saggy bits but I'm me, I just don't want t world to see it what's wrong with tat!

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Tue 02-Jul-13 10:40:17

You are turning something so innocent into something bad though, why don't you want to see children naked on the beach? I think it's because we have body issues as a population and are sadly passing this on.

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 10:56:53

I dont mind seeing them but mine will have bottoms on thanks. In our garden titally fine nacked, so no i dint have bify isdues just because i dont want tjeir nscked bofied seen in public. Dd and ds also see me prancing around nacjed at home no body isdues there

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 10:57:42

Agggg silly mobile nacked bodies

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 11:03:58

Just because their children dies not mean they have no right to privacy

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Tue 02-Jul-13 11:16:24

I think I'd know if they wanted privacy, they are the ones stripping off, should I make them feel ashamed?

I can't bear it when people call children "rude" (in a joking way) when they have few/no clothes on. Children of infants age and below should be clothed according to the weather IMO (and sometimes appropriately - I wouldn't condone school or a wedding naked grin). In the summer, playing in the garden that might be naked.

Sorry, according to the weather, the occasion and their own preferences. But that's never been an issue with my two clothes-refusers.

pigletmania Tue 02-Jul-13 11:42:17

1very i did not say you should make them feel ashamed ! Each to their own and all that but i would not feel happy with them nacked in a public place and its my right to stick something on them

gleegeek Tue 02-Jul-13 12:07:10

Clothed or unclothed on the beach - each to their own! I love seeing children running around starkers - the freedom is very very special if they enjoy it. Dd however was always adamant she would be in her swimsuit from quite a tiny age (it was a very cute one so maybe that swung it for her) so we've never run the gauntlet of offending the general public by flaunting her bits and pieces wink

AmberSocks Tue 02-Jul-13 12:11:53

my kids go naked on the beach,and at home a lot too!If it makes others feel uncomfortable then ive never noticed,it wouldnt bother me if it did tbh thats their issue!

LouiseSmith Tue 02-Jul-13 13:59:55

I let my son wonder in the garden naked when he in his paddling pool! He loves it.

I wouldn't do it so much in public thought I think out of respect for others. The paedophile round every corner theory has made everyone on edge. and no passer by wants to be accused of perving on a child. I think its better to stay clothed in public!!

Espically after the court told me I had too. LOL

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Tue 02-Jul-13 14:02:49

It's such a shame they can't have this freedom if they want to though. Saying that I've only done it in this country as Cyprus in August equals full on uv suits for all of them

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 14:05:30

It's not about making a point over, I just think its ok for children to be naked on the beach.

It's funny this topic has been brought up as we took our 2&4 yolds to the beach yesterday for an hour, spur of the moment and they ended up with just t-shirts on, but then naked.
I said to dh, "Do you think it's ok", he was like "don't be stupid". Kids loved being at the beach, it was hot so took clothes off.

I think you are rid of you think this is wrong.

Btw it was 4 0clock in the afternoon, so sun protection not too much of an issue.

Spookey80 Tue 02-Jul-13 14:05:49

*rid=weird

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now