to think Chinese Lanterns should be banned

(161 Posts)
Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:10:28

dangerous

As beautiful as they are, Chinese Lanterns are the cause of many fires every year; today they are the cause of the above... Why are we still allowed to use them?

Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:59:30

I can't believe that people still light them, but then there is no ban, so people might assume that they are ok.

That's exactly what I think MsGee because regardless of all the warnings that are out there for all the dangerous potential consequences, as they are not banned outright it is easy to assume that "well they cant be that bad, let's go for it."

TarkaTheOtter Mon 01-Jul-13 10:59:58

One landed on a tent at a festival I was at this year.

Eyesunderarock Mon 01-Jul-13 11:01:21

It's in the first paragraph of the article hmm

'A huge fire in the West Midlands – which has resulted in nine firefighters being treated for injuries and a smoke plume reaching 6,000 feet – was caused by a Chinese lantern, the fire service said.'

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 11:03:46

It's also in the sub-headline, Eyes.

I have never understood why they are allowed. They go up. They are on fire. They have to come down somewhere...

PrettyKitty1986 Mon 01-Jul-13 11:05:44

'Blaze involving 50,000 tonnes of paper and plastic at recycling plant was caused by Chinese lantern, fire service says'

Not sure what people are reading?!? This quote is in the article the op posted, clearly mentioning Chinese lanterns!

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 11:06:24

It's been updated. Look at the time on the last update and look at the time on the OP!

Syrupent Mon 01-Jul-13 11:07:19

It's time they were banned. A small child in our area suffered facial burns from one a year or two back. He looked up to watch as they took off and molten wax fell onto his face. sad

CloudsAndTrees Mon 01-Jul-13 11:07:29

Agree they should be banned.

I think the majority of people that use them nowadays are aware of the dangers, but selfishly choose to use them anyway because they look pretty and they like the mystical idea of them floating away carrying some special message.

Eyesunderarock Mon 01-Jul-13 11:08:47

That makes more sense. smile

OP must have known more about the origin then, to post that link before it had been stated to be CL induced.
Yes they should be banned.

Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 11:09:49

They have updated the article since I posted - it didn't say it when I posted it to be fair, I heard it on the BBC news in the background and was reading the Guardian at the same time so that's why I linked. smile

LastTangoInDevonshire Mon 01-Jul-13 11:09:52

I don't care what your 'special anniversary' is - you shouldn't be lighting them.

I think they should be banned too, just far too dangerous.

ninilegsintheair Mon 01-Jul-13 11:11:24

Yanbu. Theyre dangerous for all the reasons listed by previous posters. And they look naff. I think the reason people still have them at weddings is mostly due to the 'but its our special day' bollocks.

DalekInAFestiveJumper Mon 01-Jul-13 11:13:39

I was at a wedding last year where they had the things. This was less than six months after our whole neighborhood had to be evacuated because of a massive wildfire, and we were under a burn ban at the time. I was horrified.

That said, I do have a box of the things. I put little LED tea lights in them and hang them from the trees for special occasions.

Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 11:21:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChasingDogs Mon 01-Jul-13 11:21:44

They're quite sad really. I came across one in a field while walking the dog, with all these messages to a dead friend/relative written on it. I'm sure it looked very pretty and mystical while it was floating off into the night sky, but the reality is that it ends up as trampled rubbish somewhere.

MrsDeVere Mon 01-Jul-13 11:22:02

I bought some 7 years ago to let off on the first anniversary of DD's death.

I let one off and it alarmed me so much I binned the rest.

It was huge and the wind took it all over the place.

I don't agree they are 'naff'. They are a very beautiful when let off at a memory day BUT it does seem crazy to set fire to a piece of tar in a paper balloon and let it fly off without any control

I think people assume they are safe because they are so widely used. Not just by individuals but by organisations like Hospices (or they were)

KitchenDiscoDancer Mon 01-Jul-13 11:23:42

One landed in our garden, burnt a patch of grass and then the dog got hold of it. Ridiculous things to be set off, in the countryside and in towns (I love in London). Think it came from a local hotel which hosts loads of weddings......

bleedingheart Mon 01-Jul-13 11:24:27

YANBU

This fire in Smethwick is horrendous (although the cause is not yet proven it does seem as though it is the case). The pollution and cost to the fire fighters dealing with it! Awful.

Totally agree. They are dangerous to buildings, livestock and wildlife. They cause wildfires. Ban the damned things.
I was at a wedding once. They let them off at the reception. Apart from more than one person nearly getting burned, one landed in an open top convertible in the car park! Seriously not funny!

KitchenDiscoDancer Mon 01-Jul-13 11:26:13

Sorry l live in London (not love - well only sometimes ;)) oh yes and the one we found had loads of messages to the happy couple Piers and Jasmine........

Greydog Mon 01-Jul-13 11:27:18

Agree - should be banned, dangerous and stupid

lydiajones Mon 01-Jul-13 11:34:08

YANBU. We got some the other year and one of them flew off sideways instead of up and started dripping boiling hot wax over the garden. My husband had to run after it and pull it down or it would have dripped over all my neighbours gardens and would have burnt anyone under it!! Never again.

znaika Mon 01-Jul-13 11:43:38

YANBU they caused a car crash near me a month ago. There were hundreds of them landing at once after a high school graduation and started raining down on cars in themiddle of the city.

SoupDragon Mon 01-Jul-13 11:47:14

I think the reason people still have them at weddings is mostly due to the 'but its our special day' bollocks.

Well, 9 firefighters were injured because of this particular "special day". If the cause was indeed one of these lanterns, I hope the people who let off lanterns that night think it was worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now