to think Chinese Lanterns should be banned

(161 Posts)
Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:10:28

dangerous

As beautiful as they are, Chinese Lanterns are the cause of many fires every year; today they are the cause of the above... Why are we still allowed to use them?

TrinityRhino Mon 01-Jul-13 10:12:31

I dont think you are allowed to use them anymore

I still have some though and will be lighting one again on the 24th aug

SoupDragon Mon 01-Jul-13 10:13:04

That's a fire as a paper and plastics recycling plant with (I don't think) no mention of lanterns confused

But basically, people don't think beyond the "oooh, pretty!" aspect.

Burmobasher Mon 01-Jul-13 10:13:09

Yanbu.
As pretty as they look, they are unnecessary and a danger to wildlife

youmeatsix Mon 01-Jul-13 10:13:52

i thought they were banned after causing the deaths of cows, (eating the remains of them) i might be wrong and dreamt that confused

Otherworld Mon 01-Jul-13 10:14:21

I didn't see any mention of Chinese lanterns in the link?

Kiriwawa Mon 01-Jul-13 10:14:40

I agree that they're awful and I wish they were banned but how do you know that they are responsible for that awful fire? confused

squeakytoy Mon 01-Jul-13 10:14:45

I have read that twice now and still cant see any mention of chinese lanterns in the article.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 10:15:03

What does the link have to do with it? confused

But yes, they're really dangerous - you can get ones that claim they burn out safely, but this is obviously not true (you can't control them once you've let them go).

Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:15:38

SoupDragon The fire chief from west mids has just been on the news saying cctv footage shows a lantern dropping on one of the plastic bales and in their early fire investigations it appears that it was the cause. Sorry would have helped to say that in my OP!

ClangerOnaComeDown Mon 01-Jul-13 10:16:28

They are so dangerous, last year some people released them at a campsite I was staying on. One set fire to a tent, it was lucky the tent was empty as those things burn fast.

Bimbledorf Mon 01-Jul-13 10:18:22
SoupDragon Mon 01-Jul-13 10:19:00

They are really dangerous. Lots of organisations calling for a ban: rspca link

Kiriwawa Mon 01-Jul-13 10:22:57

Ah right! Well I hope this is the end of them then - bloody awful things.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 10:24:40

Crikey. That is really scary.

The thing is ... do people honestly not know they're dangerous any more? They've been trendy for about 5 years I'd say, and I think by this time most people have heard they might be dangerous - they're just being selfish.

I know someone who insisted on having them for her wedding, in the countryside, without bothering to let the farmers around know about it. When challenged on it she said they were 'the safe kind'.

There isn't a bloody safe kind! hmm

Kiriwawa Mon 01-Jul-13 10:27:58

My friend gave me one for my birthday and said she thought it would be ok as it's eco-friendly and I live on the coast. Like I can somehow guarantee it will be blown out to sea and dissolve harmlessly into the water confused

ClangerOnaComeDown Mon 01-Jul-13 10:28:46

Malenky I bet she meant the bio degradable lanterns. I think they use a different sort of material inside which isn't so harmful to wildlife. Still bloody dangerous.

Scholes34 Mon 01-Jul-13 10:29:07

Two years ago at the campsite I was staying at people were letting them off - close to tents and a thatched cottage. There's now a sign at the campsite saying they're banned. So yes, it appears people do need to be told. Common sense appears not to come into it.

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Mon 01-Jul-13 10:30:58

clanger - yeah, I know she did. We talked about it. She was burying her head in the sand about the fact that they are on fire and therefore can set things on fire. (irritated bolding due to her, not you!)

MsGee Mon 01-Jul-13 10:35:07

If you are near an airport or the coast, you are supposed to alert the airport or coastguard.

I can't believe that people still light them, but then there is no ban, so people might assume that they are ok. The Civil Aviation Authority has released guidelines but I would imagine that most of the public aren't aware of their guidance.

It's not just the fire or animals eating them. Birds get tangled in them m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-15439322

They should be banned. YANBU

nextphase Mon 01-Jul-13 10:44:56

They should be banned. YANBU

GobblersKnob Mon 01-Jul-13 10:52:10

We had people setting them off at our campsite last year, very scary, flying fire and nylon homes do not mix.

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 01-Jul-13 10:58:26

Yanbu, I couldn't believe it week or 2 ago when the news was showing the worlds largest release of Chinese lanterns (cant remember where, possibly Thailand?), thousands of them, is happy tones with no mention of the dangers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now