Would you be paranoid about this man with a camera?

(79 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 01-Jul-13 09:12:05

DH rides our DDs to school...it's 3 miles, they are 8 and 5. The route is along a rural cycle track...very picturesque. Towards the end of the journey today, he said there was a man on the track...with a dog and a camera.

As DH approached with DDs, the man said "I'm just taking picturs of the park" and as DH and DDs passed, DH said he thought the man took a photo of them.

Is that odd? Or is DH paranoid>? He feels he should have said something...but what? I just called him as I often do to see how the ride went...

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 01-Jul-13 09:12:35

Fully prepared to be told IABU by the way...

VinegarDrinker Mon 01-Jul-13 09:14:04

Not at all odd, perfectly legal and he explained what he was doing.

What possibly sinister reason could exist to justify this level of paranoia? confused

AnyFucker Mon 01-Jul-13 09:14:41

No

VinegarDrinker Mon 01-Jul-13 09:14:42

(Should say what possible reason)

MrsMoffat Mon 01-Jul-13 09:16:34

I think sex offenders can access many graphic pictures of children on the Internet easily and are unlikely to bother taking photos of fully clothed children with parents, if you see what I mean? And if that's what you are worried about? In 12 years of managing sex offenders I've only come across a couple who took photos of random people, in in those cases the photos were of adults.

ragged Mon 01-Jul-13 09:16:43

Wouldn't give a toss what the guy took pictures of, poor guy obviously felt paranoid.

I was once interviewing visitors to a park. Old black guy says he goes there to practice golf shots (he had a club & ball). Eventually he confessed that he just liked to go for a stroll but had to bring the golf club to stop people giving him looks, suspicious that he was doing something sinister. sad

Boomba Mon 01-Jul-13 09:17:02

Um...it would be slightly odd for the man to take pictures of your family. It is maybe slightly odd that he felt he had to xpalin what he was doing to your dh.

Likely he just took a photo though, rather than of your dds??

I dont think there is anything to worry about. And even if there was, the moment has passed smile

SpooMoo Mon 01-Jul-13 09:17:13

Nope. He even kindly put your mind at ease. Massive he took a photo of the back of your family as our made a nice shot in the sunshine but it'll be unidentifiable as it's their backs.

ragged Mon 01-Jul-13 09:17:17

...And that was 12 yrs ago, before paedo paranoia went bezerk.

SpooMoo Mon 01-Jul-13 09:18:58

* maybe not massive

Innacorner Mon 01-Jul-13 09:19:07

There seems to be a general paranoia these days that anyone with a camera in public must be up to no good. He sounds like someone who enjoys photography. Sounds like your DH with your children made a good photo. Doesn't mean your family's souls have been sold to the devil, and doesn't mean the photographer is part of a paedophile ring. I think you are being somewhat unreasonable.

VinegarDrinker Mon 01-Jul-13 09:19:32

As I often ask on these kind of threads, can you explain exactly what you are concerned about?

Boomba Mon 01-Jul-13 09:24:22

If your DH thought it was inappropriate though...maybe the man was 'odd'...maybe something instinctively told your DH that the man was suspect; which we would obviously not pick up on from a description of the situation?

DreamingofSummer Mon 01-Jul-13 09:31:12

Some points for the umpteenth time in no particular order....

Photography is a perfectly respectable hobby and/or profession. There are literally millions of photographers in this country

Having a camera does not make you a child abuser/paedophile

You don't need permission from anyone to photograph in a public place. I don't need your permission to photograph you in public although it is polite to ask

Photo paranoia is rampant

quoteunquote Mon 01-Jul-13 09:34:31

what dreaming said ^^

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Mon 01-Jul-13 09:36:40

My dad goes out with the dog in a morning and takes pictures on rural paths. He isn't well at all and its the one thing that he really enjoys.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Mon 01-Jul-13 09:38:41

[wonders if it was my dad]

freddiefrog Mon 01-Jul-13 09:52:58

What worries you about it?

I'm going out in a minute with my dog and my camera along our rural cycle path

There's nothing sinister in it, I like photography, I have a new camera I want to play with, the dog needs a walk and it's a sunny day so I'm going to amuse myself for a couple of hours in peace while the kids are at school. Is that really odd?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 01-Jul-13 09:59:19

So many times I've noticed people discreetly (or not) taking photos with their mobiles I would probably only think oh how quaint, a camera wink

Kiriwawa Mon 01-Jul-13 10:01:49

You pervert freddiefrog angry

grin

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 01-Jul-13 10:03:41

I often take a camera out with my dogs. For the main reason that I foster and it's nice to show potential adopters pics of the dogs actually doing something other than sleeping. I also like photographing my own dogs having fun.

cozietoesie Mon 01-Jul-13 10:08:04

I tell you - the day will come when people become paranoid about other people walking let alone whether they have a camera or not.

sad

Fakebook Mon 01-Jul-13 10:14:21

Maybe he wanted to take a picture of your dh's backside? Does he wear tight shorts and do the bum wiggle when cycling?

ExcuseTypos Mon 01-Jul-13 10:19:24

He amy have just thought how fantastic you're Dh and 2dds looked, cycling along. As he took a picture of their backs you've really got nothing to worry about.

We get people taking a photo of our house. I went and asked someone once if I could help them and they apologised but said it was so picturesque they couldn't resist. It really doesn't bother me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now