To hate it when people shorten the names of food?

(249 Posts)
muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:16:48

Strawbs is the worst one I've heard recently. Veg, spag bol and pots also set my teeth on edge. I don't mind so much when they are written down, it's when they're said out loud that I find it fills me with rage irritating. None of these are particularly difficult words to say so why? Why do it? Anyone else feel my pain, or am I just weird?

(In case anyone asks, I know it isn't the biggest problem in the world, and yes I do have better things to worry about wink.)

orangeandemons Fri 05-Jul-13 09:13:47

I call Tommy K Tomtitytomtitytomtomtom blush

A biscuit is a bikbik courtesy of a little dd

New potatoes are baby spuds.....

My brother says "Scramby eggs". I just use the fact that he abandoned his pregnant gf and son as cover for the real reason I feel he should be an ex oxygen thief.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 05-Jul-13 08:55:16

grin

My friend from Newcastle says "Sammich" instead of sandwich. She's lucky we're friends. dh says Tommy K for Ketchup. Divorce is an option I suppose.

chocciebickie Fri 05-Jul-13 08:33:18

...........I'll get my coat.........

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 05-Jul-13 08:32:06

Yes .

chocciebickie Fri 05-Jul-13 08:29:08

Ah but if you say choccie not choccy is that ok then? wink we say cuppa too........I'm going to have to leave aren't I..................

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 05-Jul-13 08:08:03

Choccy is the absolute worst. Usually accompanied by "oh I'm so naughty me, giggling"

chocciebickie Fri 05-Jul-13 08:04:13

Oh dear my name is going to have to be changed after reading this grin promise we dont actually use the word "chocciebickie" in our house......runs and hides.......................

MintyChops Fri 05-Jul-13 07:44:47

Apologies Pelvic, I salute your punch punch punch! Ephemeral, Cock in a Snatch is just........words fail me.

On the subject(ish) of "puddLing", I once saw someone on MN refer to children as "kiddLies".

MerryMarigold Thu 04-Jul-13 20:43:23

crunchy, I just genuinely LOL'd at the puddlings. Aw bless 'em.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Thu 04-Jul-13 20:09:38

I sometimes say spaggo boggo but only because it annoys my husband.

I had a terrible day where i kept calling Yorkshire puddings Yorkshire puddLings(I think the first time was to annoy him again then I accidentally kept saying it) and the tweeness of that made me feel very wrong and I ended up horrifying myself.

MerryMarigold Thu 04-Jul-13 19:36:06

I can't decide if I quite like 'Starbs'. I'm thinking it sounds better without the 'bucks'.

TheRealFellatio Thu 04-Jul-13 18:36:52

Oh yes, how could we forget? grin But we must get it right, it's a hamwidge.

ThreeMusketeers Thu 04-Jul-13 17:10:53

Hamwich ....hamwich????? you have got to be kidding.

needaholidaynow Thu 04-Jul-13 14:42:37

Choccybic

Moxiegirl Thu 04-Jul-13 14:39:38

Woman at work who has a pet name for everything said 'bisquick' yesterday confused and says mickey for microwave...

ephemeralfairy Thu 04-Jul-13 14:36:22

And oh! I heard some fool yesterday say to his girlfriend 'shall we get a Starbs?'
Meaning Starbucks. RAGE ENSUED.

ephemeralfairy Thu 04-Jul-13 14:31:10

Yanbu!

Maccy D's
Cuppa
Sarnie
Brekkie
Tatos
Delish
Yummers
Spag bog
Yorkies (for Yorkshire puddings)
Pud
Cauli cheese
Cuzza
Chinky...!!

.....etc etc etc. I loathe all these and more. I also hate people saying 'preggo' or 'preggers'.

(nb: a friend of mine refers to Toad in the Hole as Cock in the Snatch....hmm)

MerryMarigold Thu 04-Jul-13 13:34:00

That was pelvicfloor's idea, but I'll happily take the credit grin

MintyChops Thu 04-Jul-13 13:25:59

Excellent work Merry, punch punch punch it is....

Samu2 Thu 04-Jul-13 11:47:02

I remember as a teen people saying Chud for chewing gum.

Mind you, I sometimes call Toad in the hole... Frog in the bog.

MerryMarigold Thu 04-Jul-13 11:29:45

yummerzzzz. LOVE it. I am going to nick that one. Oh hashtag, how I hate thee.

vladthedisorganised Thu 04-Jul-13 11:17:48

"Hubby's just made me some spaggy bol - yummerzz!!" #nomnomnom

<hides facebook>

MerryMarigold Thu 04-Jul-13 11:05:12

grin punch punch punch is brill (obv with no commas as nom nom nom never has any)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now