to be on the verge of tears because I don't understand the Slimming World rules?

(148 Posts)
Mintyy Wed 26-Jun-13 22:40:22

Ffs! I am reasonable intelligent but come on!.

Am I ever going to understand it?

<scream>

GoingUpInTheWorld Mon 01-Jul-13 08:44:56

Mintyy

I did sw and lost 2 stone in 4 months. I never did the 1/3 of this and that. If i didnt want veg, then i never had it, i never had rice either.

I often had pasta, tuna and sweetcorn for lunch. It was all the free foods.

I just looked at all the free foods i could have and put stuff together to make a meal. I never did the so much of this and that.

I would switch the cappuccino for instant coffee though as instant coffee is syn free.

Tee2072 Mon 01-Jul-13 07:42:40

Eat less move more does work. If you have the personal motivation to actually do it!

I hate all meetings and groups and, frankly, most human beings in general, so have no desire to join a group to lose weight. I did WW online for awhile but their website is so bad in so many ways I gave up.

Now I use MFP to count calories eaten and burned and another app on my phone to count carbs and glucose (I'm a Type II diabetic) and have lost about a pound a week consistently since I've started doing it this way.

I still have over 2 stone to lose, but what I do works for me.

And that's the key, isn't it? grin

Darkesteyes Sun 30-Jun-13 23:41:48

Well done muminthecity. But 9 pounds is a hell of a lot to lose in a week. I lost a stone a month for seven months. And a year to lose the final 3 Do you still have a gall bladder? Im asking because i developed gallstones through losing the weight so quickly I was back and forth to hospital for ten months. The pain was so bad that the first time they thought it was a heart attack. Besides the toing and froing to casualty i also had GPS come out to give me morphine injections. On Christmas Eve 2002 the doc miscalculated the dose and i spent Christmas Day in hospital recovering from an overdose. They then gave me morphine pills which would melt under the tongue whenever i had an attack It was the only med that would kill the pain. Near the start of developing gall bladder disease i was hovvering up Paracetamol Tramadol mixing them ANYTHING to kill the pain.
Now whenever i drop my portion sizes i have sharp s pains all over my stomach and back. I did have my gall bladder removed in April 2003 9 months after gallstones started but God knows what long term damage its done ..both the gallstones and the cocktail of drugs i was taking in desperation before morphine was finally prescribed.
This is what Weight Watchers Slimming World et al WONT tell you. And they were absolutely no help when i got ill.
When i went back to try to lose some weight a couple of years back a woman had lost 11 pounds in her first week. Every body whooped and clapped and all i could think was "And where is the consultant and all these people going to be if she gets ill.

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:54:14

Well thank you Marmalade, I am rather pleased. Would rather not fuck your boots though, if that's ok grin.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 30-Jun-13 22:42:23

Well fuck my old boots, Mum in the city. That is AMAZING shock

Talkinpeace Sun 30-Jun-13 22:36:49

Mintyy : your plan earlier sounded good. Stick with that and ignore the mortar lobbers. They know not of what you speak.

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 22:32:15

Stuntgirl: you are posting as though you are saying something new. Why is that?

muminthecity Sun 30-Jun-13 22:08:50

I joined SW 10 weeks ago and have lost 2.5 stone so far. I lost 9lbs in my first week and have lost 3lbs a week since. It seemed daunting at first but it's become second nature now. I found the healthy extras the most complicated bit at first, not sure why everyone is focussing on the 1/3 bit. It's not difficult to make sure 1/3 of each meal is vegetables/salad, and is something that most diets I've come across recommend anyway.

I've been overweight all my life and have tried so many diets, this is the best one I've done by far. I did lose 2 stone on weightwatchers once but found it so difficult counting every single thing I ate and just didn't think I could maintain it. On all other diets I have given up before even losing a stone. I have found that unless I actually go to a group and get weighed every week, I find it really hard to stay on track.

I guess different diets work for different people/lifestyles etc. SW is definitely the best one for me, but may not be for others.

StuntGirl Sun 30-Jun-13 22:02:27

If you use it as a tool to recognise and deal with the paychological issue behind it great, but too many people use it simply as a temporary crutch, which is why they 'fail' when they stop adhering to it and put the weight back on. If you can't maintain a healthy lfestyle afterwards, it ain't worked.

Some people absolutely stay slimmer and healthier after doing diet plans such as SW, which is great for them. For many they need to continually return to it as they either cannot maintain the (usually very restrictive) lifestyle they've adopted or they haven't addressed the underlying issues and so go back to old, destructive habits.

SoggySummer Sun 30-Jun-13 22:01:05

I still do the red and green. Everyone is different but I personally find I have better losses on weeks when I do more red than green days. The least weightloss pattern for me is when I do EE which pisses me off cos I love Tuna jackets, spag bol etc. It seems even eating mountains of iceberg and cucumber etc etc does not make the same kind of weight fall off as on an all red week.

I like my 2 HE And B every day too.

schooldidi Sun 30-Jun-13 21:49:32

EE is a mush-up of red and green. The Superfree foods are just the foods that were free on both, and the free foods are what was free on just one of the days. It's what I did a lot of the time when I was supposed to be doing red and green but forgot halfway through the day which it was. I used to call them my muddy brown days (because red and green makes brown) but now they're EE. You only get one Healthy B choice rather than 2, but that's ok because I always used one of those on meat that's now free.

You don't have to rigidly stick to 1/3 superfree foods, at least nobody in my group seems to think it's a rigid formula, you just need to make sure you're eating plenty of fruit and veg (superfree) so you get the nutrition you need. I don't think they've dropped red and green altogether, or if they have they haven't told anybody at my group, or their website. They just find that it's easier to stick to the EE for a lot of people.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 30-Jun-13 21:49:23

So what if the psychological trick is being weighed in each week? Or not being deprived of certain foods (as with SW)? Are the plans still a load of old shite then?

StuntGirl Sun 30-Jun-13 21:46:40

But it is that easy. As said above, you have to find whatever psychological trick makes you stick to it. But all these diets and plans and things - WW, SW, MFP, 5:2, blah blah blah - they are all about balancing energy in against energy out to create a deficit. That's all each of them are doing.

Darkesteyes Sun 30-Jun-13 21:37:19

A lady that works in my local Sainsburys goes to the local SW group that i used to go to and she told me they have dropped Red and Green altogether.

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 21:26:22

Marmy, you can still do red/green if you like at SW. They give you those booklets in the Welcome Pack. You don't have to do the new regime.

WetGrass Sun 30-Jun-13 21:20:55

No idea - I never did the groups - I joined it online for a while to get the lists etc
(As described above:
-always free food,
-red day (lean protein) free food,
-green day (lean carbs) free food,
- An extra portion of dairy & protein
- an allowance of syns (ie fat & sugar)

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 30-Jun-13 21:09:54

How does SW work nowadays anyway? I lost 3 stone on red/green and am thinking about going back on it after I piled on the equivalent of a small horse whilst on anti-depressants hmm But this talk of Extra Easy is making my bumhole clench in fear. I cannot be fucked weighing out 1/3rds of shit, 2/3rds of t'other...

WetGrass Sun 30-Jun-13 21:04:23

stunt - I actually did.

It was an insanely busy period in my life (2 under 2) - and when I looked at what I was eating, I realised I was posting endless biscuits and snacks down the cakehole to vainly try to boost my energy.

With SW, I looked at the list and identified free foods that I liked (specifically - boiled eggs, jacket potatoes with Maldon sea salt, potato wedges with Maldon sea salt and vinegar and Jaffa oranges). Then instead of needing to break the snack habit, I just replaced the biscuits with free foods.

So a) I really did like some of the foods b) I liked that I didn't have to put pressure on myself to 'not' do something. I just ate and ate the bloody pasta, eggs and jacket potatoes until I couldn't have eaten a cookie even if a packet fell out of the sky and hit me on the head.

Then, when I emerged out of the compulsive phase, I found that I had broken my sugar 'addiction' - which I think had been really screwing up my metabolism - hence it was easy to maintain the weight.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 30-Jun-13 21:04:14

I know, Chipping, I know. sad

My own GP recommended SW after I failed on just calorie counting. The sad thing is, weightloss isn't just a mathematical equation, or else less of us would be overweight. It's psychology, too. You need to re-evaluate your attitude to lifestyle i.e exercise/eating shit all day every day. Simply calorie counting won't necessarily do that for you. I am a big (arf!) advocate of a support network, which is what you get at SW/WW. Also, the pressure of weighing in each week really motivates you. I've tried going it alone, sad to say I don't have the willpower. Groups worked for me and many others. It's fucking arrogant to dismiss them as shit/waste of time. Different strokes and that.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 30-Jun-13 20:59:49

Twatkins - you've been around long enough to know that it is completely inevitable that some absolute twat cannot help themselves when it comes to posting utter shite. The medical profession is baffled - but no, some twats still post 'it's as easy as eat less - move more' despite the countless medical and anecdotal evidence. Bless their incredibly stupid little cotton socks and pray for the day when they find it doesn't work for them grin

Start the thread Mintyy grin

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 20:49:59

I do too Marmy grin.

I would have started a whole shiney new thread with the title of something like "WTAF someone on a weightloss thread has just come on and said Eat Less Move More simples - aibu to tell the fucker to fuck the fuck off?"

but hq would have deleted me like that

<snaps fingers>

So I just stepped over it.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 30-Jun-13 20:32:05

I HATE people who come onto these sorts of threads and go "Eat less move more simples"

Well actually, it obviously ISN'T fucking "simples", is it, or else there wouldn't be a multi-million pund dieting industry in this country, would there? The formula doesn't work for everyone.

notaverynicemum Sun 30-Jun-13 19:05:32

I lost 6 stone in a year on the red and green plan. I have no idea how it worked but initially I would eat loads - think the worlds largest jacket spud with a packet of bachelors past n sauce as its filling. That was just lunch. tea would be more potatoes cut into SW chips and served with poached eggs a whole tin of baked beans or mushy peas. I would then eat a cadbury Twirl every evening.

It was a massive amount of food but it worked and the weight literally fell off. My 1st ever week I lost 10lbs. But would usually average 2 to 3lbs a week.

As I lost weight I didnt feel the need to eat so much so my portions became more controlled and now I look at what I used to eat on the plan as absolutely mad.

I have been on and off the plan for 10 years now. Once I stop following it the weight goes on. Luckily I have never made a full gain.

I now still follow red and green and only occassionly do this new EE plan.

I do weekly syns - I have ditched my nightly bar of chocolate and save my syns for weekend boozing.

I have to say I have learnt alot of my healthy eating over the past 10 years and would never now (at age 40) eat jacket and pasta n sauce and chips for tea like I used to - despite the fact it worked and weight fell off me.

I now prefer the speed and superspeed salads with fish etc. I do more red days usually but it is expensive.

Stick with it OP. As you get used to what is what it will become easier and the plan is flexible really. I love not having to weigh out my foods (except healthy extras). I failed at diets that used to tell me 200g of chicken breast, 75g of carrots etc etc.

Mintyy Sun 30-Jun-13 19:04:24

I thought we were supposed to forget all about calories burned? Our calories burned are accounted for in our tdee, yes?

Anyhoo, I am going to do 1600 calories a day plus 2 x fast days of 500 calories a day and see where that gets me.

TattyDevine Sun 30-Jun-13 18:52:00

I'd been at Slimming world a few weeks before I realised you were supposed to fill a certain amount of your plate with superfree foods and eat them first or something and then just went, feck it.

I'd rather just use currency, spend it wisely, and not have to worry about chucking a load of stuff down my gob I don't actually like that I have to pay for (like melon) before eating stuff I do.

Lots of people didn't realise this rule (it was something to do with extra easy or some bollix) because when I asked and the leader clarified I could see loads of souls dying in the room.

Just eat dust. Its totalballs the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now