Why is the infernal cake stall business the job of MUMS?!

(59 Posts)
Chandon Wed 26-Jun-13 11:36:01

So, in our school y6 mums traditionally run a cake stall every single week for the last term, to raise money for the Y6 day out/celebration.

So.....we started getting organised. Interestingly, most mums in this particular year work, and just do not have the time ( or energy or inclination) to bake and sell cakes every week, at 20p each, so a lot of cakes need to be sold to reach our target.

Some working mums wanted to know if we could maybe just all contribute £40 and be done with it.

I have been thinking why I feel pissed off about the whole set-up, and I think it is the fact that t is not the PARENTS job to fundraise, it is the MUMS' job.

Considering the fact most mums this year work ( and even if they did not!) AIBU to feel angry that it is the women's job to fundraise through a ridiculously unprofitable and interminable cake baking project. WTF? is this the modern world or what?

Or should I just suck it up for the sake of "tradition" and don my apron and bake loads of cakes? I feel really annoyed, nobody expects any of the DADS to give up their time for this pointless exercise.

kim147 Wed 26-Jun-13 13:26:56

Add some coffee / tea, few ice creams and lollies. Flapjacks and cookies. Children like simple stuff - none of these fancy cupcakes or massive cakes.

Chandon Wed 26-Jun-13 14:15:05

Oh this is a good thread, I was sort of just venting but niw have some GOOD ideas!

I am supposed to run the blasted thing...with good grace ( I nly shw my jaded dark sde on MN)

So I will
- get te y6 kids to do baking and help at stall
- supplement with Asda donuts if not enough comes in
- if we simply get no cakes, will chnge concept to Ice Cream Friday
- we will increase the price to 40 or 50p ...?!
- last but not least, I will change my attitude to a positive can-do one with a bit of bossiness thrown in and challenge the status quo, in a positive manner, where required!

Just felt I inherited a dud concept....

Change is good

juneau Wed 26-Jun-13 18:41:57

Its 50p per cake (fairy cake, cup cake, etc), at DS1's school. I think that's pretty reasonable.

LiegeAndLief Wed 26-Jun-13 18:49:15

We do ice cream Fridays too. No freezer necessary, just a big coolbox. Makes a fortune and I'm sure it's more cost effective than a cake sale.

Do it as 50p per cake or £1.30 for 3.

We do this at our school after a boycott by myself and three other mums. We found it increased takings rather than the original trial of 50p per cake.

Sold as 1 for you, 1 for child and one to take home. Or 1 for each child and one for mum.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 26-Jun-13 19:39:55

I must agree if you have a problem with it, don't do it.

Make your dhs do the flippin cakes grin. If they won't and you don't want to, don't do it.
I just used to buy them and take them in, nobody knew any difference.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 26-Jun-13 19:40:53

So when people talk about 'cakes'... They're actually talking about cupcakes?

Snog Wed 26-Jun-13 19:41:41

My dp often does the baking for cake stalls.
I think up to one cake stall a term is fine but one a week is ludicrous.

curlew Wed 26-Jun-13 20:10:39

Absolutely cupcakes. Things that kids can eat on the way home. But we always have some bags/boxes so that people can take them home. We always do it on a Friday so people can buy cakes for the weekend.

The best sellers are usually ones with sweets on. I buy Morrison's own brand frosting in vanilla and chocolate, and put a Minstrel or a malteeser or a Haribo on each cake, then sprinkle with glitter. I make muffin sized ones- they cost pence more than small ones to make and look much more impressive- they sell for 60p each. Money for old rope, a cake stall if you do it right. We do one a fortnight. People know when it's going to be, and come prepared with money. £60-80 every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now