to wash bra only once a week?

(113 Posts)
CHJR Wed 26-Jun-13 09:43:15

I don’t think I’m a dirty sow but maybe I am. My mother died before I started wearing bras and well before and after that we spent a lot of time moving around, often unable to wash clothes or even shop for them (refugees), so sometimes I discover strange gaps in my, er, general knowledge. No one’s ever suggested I smell or anything but hand washing bras is such a bother, and the machine damages them, so I tend to do it only once a week, assuming I've not been especially sweaty. But of course I change pants daily, and vests … is once a week too little for bras? What should I teach my DD?

And what about things like tights? Was a bit surprised recently to learn my SIL washes them after EVERY wearing, but even more surprised to realise she also doesn’t wear pants under them. She’s American though, maybe they’re just different? Or she personally is?

BookieMonster Fri 28-Jun-13 09:53:43

I'm in a hot, sweaty climate so I do have to change and wash bras daily. If that's not an issue for you and you're not particularly sweaty under the arms, do whatever works for you.

I only started wearing them to bed once I became pregnant. My boobs became too sensitive and I can't bear the feel of the quilt rubbing against them. Only way to be comfortable is by wearing a bra. Nearly 2 years later I still have to

spangledboots Thu 27-Jun-13 21:26:57

I tend to put my bra in the laundry basket if I've been wearing it all day. If I've just put one on to pop to the shops at the weekend, I'll maybe wear it one more time before it goes in the wash.

I wouldn't wear tights more than once and I err...always wear pants underneath them!

I do a delicates wash for my underwear and tights around once a week.

grumpalumpgrumped Thu 27-Jun-13 21:09:27

rubberbullets you wear bras to bed?? Am I supposed to do this??

MerryOnMerlot Thu 27-Jun-13 20:38:28

Give them a sniff - that'll tell whether they need washed or not. grin

I usually wear 2 per week and wash both every week, except sports bras when at the gym, which get washed every time/second time.

I machine wash but don't tumble dry. I re-shape them then hang on a clothes horse and they survive fine.

cariadmawr Thu 27-Jun-13 20:30:06

Everything clean daily I.could.never wear dirty bras on a clean body !!! All my bras go in the machine and the dryer

SammySockMonster Thu 27-Jun-13 14:25:52

i wash mine after 2-4 wears on average. in the washing machine, 30 degrees with 'delicate' setting (or shoved in with the rest of my washing but tucked inside a protective pillowcase if feeling lazy). i'm quite lucky because my size often crops up on ebay sales so i have quite a few lovely m&s outlet bargains to rotate!

Inertia Thu 27-Jun-13 14:12:53

I wear bras for 2 days max before washing them- I do them on a 30 wash in a bra laundry bag. If I'm going to be cleaning or doing the garden I change into an old bra that can go in the wash straight after- don't want to wear a sweaty one again, or a bra full of bits of twig.

Pants- change every day, change again after swimming or a shower. Socks. tights every day. And seam-free pants are the way forward for bulge-avoidance.

Happy yoni I was responding to op's query about changing tights every day. A the end of a day's wear tights are likely to have a whiff of eau de sweaty yoni, no?

happyyonisleepyyoni Thu 27-Jun-13 13:48:42

Ehric you don't wear bras on your crotch do you, sweaty or otherwise.

SorrelForbes Thu 27-Jun-13 08:05:25

Pre perky? confused. Unfortunate typo. Should have been 'perfectly'

SorrelForbes Thu 27-Jun-13 08:04:49

Cat93. The bra intervention threads are usually in S&B. me and other bra geeks get you tell us your measurements and we help you find a pre perky fitting bra. It's fun grin.

birdmomma Thu 27-Jun-13 07:38:05

Yeah I deffo wouldn't wear clothes if they smelled at all. I'm just not very sweaty and it's winter here at the moment. DP's clothes sometimes get a bit fusty. I have to steal them for the wash when he's not looking. I also tend to do a lot of muddy stuff/extreme gardening at the weekends so I sometimes re wear really dirty clothes.
In my view, a bra can be worn longer than most clothes because it's protected from outer dirt and I don't have sweaty tits and my skin is kept pretty clean by regular washing.

eurozammo Thu 27-Jun-13 07:37:16

Every two days, unless it's really hot, in which case after every wear.

I've always bunged them in the machine at 30 degrees and they last for years.

Tights get really sweaty from fanjo and feet so absolutely get washed every time. I do wear knockers under them.

Cat98 Thu 27-Jun-13 07:28:23

I wash mine about once a week. I only have 3 that I like to wear. What's the bra intervention thread? Think I may need it!

ZillionChocolate Thu 27-Jun-13 07:16:45

I might wear a bra for 3 days. I usually machine wash them. Have had underwiring come out 2-3 times in 18+ years worth of bra wearing. I'm lazy enough to risk it.

Wash tights after every wear. Don't like to put a worn pair back on after the gym etc.

I'm shocked at those who wear them for weeks without washing. Would you do that with any other item of clothing? I'm not the most fastidious but I change my bra at least twice a week. Tights get a wash after every use, sweaty crotch isn't a great perfume!

BegoniaBampot Wed 26-Jun-13 21:52:37

I wear tights without pants sometimes. Nothing worse than seeing multiple lines and bulges under a nice dress. Tis no different from wearing pants, as long as your not dripping.

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Wed 26-Jun-13 21:49:54

I would wear a bra for 2 days, always buy 2 pairs pants so I have a clean pair for each day to match, then wash. Usually 30c machine wash, although have occasionally put them in a 40c and they have come out ok. After bra intervention I am a 32e/f so they are not cheap for my size but they have survived thus far!

Never wear tights, hate them, but when I did at school they were washed every wear. And always pants underneath of course, urrgh, how could anyone wear tights right next to their fanjo? Yuk.

Very envy of those with vast collections of matching underwear, I would love more than the 3/4 decent sets that I have!

BegoniaBampot Wed 26-Jun-13 21:47:06

I'm truly gobsmacked. Not a clean freak at all but I thought I was pushing it at wearing a bra for two days! Will wear tops twice if it hasn't been sweaty and only worn for a few hours. Jeans And cardies/over jumpers will wear a good few times. But it's summer, do you do anything energetic - you must sweat at times.

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 21:44:24

cardis, not cards!

Mintyy Wed 26-Jun-13 21:43:49

I wash my tops more often than my bras because my armpits are whiffier than my underboobage. If I am not sure whether my bra needs a wash or not, I give it a quick sniff grin. Wash in the machine in a laundry bag on at least 40. I never do a 30 wash.

<slattern and proud>

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 21:43:48

I agree bird it is not always necessary to wash thing every day - except knickers, tights and socks. But on the flip side, there is a limit to how many times you can wear something that clings to any er...moist parts, (so that's everything except skirts and jackets and outer cards) before they will start to smell. It's not just BO - it's that musty, cloying 'fleabag' smell we all remember from the unfortunate kid at school. And cooking smells linger on clothes as well.

nohalfmeasures Wed 26-Jun-13 21:40:46

I sniff mine- if they smell they get washed. Usually every 5-7 days. I think we have an obsession with washing clothes.

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 21:39:57

The wires can come out if you wash them on a really high spin speed, but if you invest in a washable bra case from Lakeland this will not happen. Honestly - once a month is grim. And I am not an OCD clean freak - just a normal well balanced person with reasonable standards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now