To expect other drivers to be considerate enough to leave me room to get my baby in the car when they park?

(198 Posts)
VRBennett83 Thu 20-Jun-13 20:09:44

So this morning I went to the baby group I attend every Thursday, had a lovely time, then did a spot of shopping at the local shops before returning to my parked car, only to find a man driving a white van had parked so close to my passenger side that I couldn't get my four month old baby in! I had to climb into the back seat from the other side, whilst lifting the car seat with my little heavy lump in it. I even left the car at a slight angle just in case someone did park next to me, so I would have enough room, but he parked so close I could hardly get it open!

The man returns to his white van whilst I am putting my shopping away. I then start putting my pram down, and he starts inching his bonnet closer and closer to my bum, as he clearly thinks I am inconveniencing HIM and getting in HIS way! I make a point standing up and asking him if I am indeed in his way. He winds down the passenger side window and asks me if I have a problem. I point out that yes, I do. I told him he parked so close to my car that I had to struggle with my baby in through the wrong side of the car. Then what? Ah, yes, he gives ME the abuse! First he tells me I parked there after him. Erm, no mate. I parked up about two hours ago and parked in this space which was clear either side. He goes ranting on at me, I simply repeat that he had parked so chuffin close to my car I had to struggle with my baby and he tells me "Well I am in a van, you t**t". No, seriously. He appeared to believe that his having a wider vehicle meant that he had to give no consideration to how much room he leaves either side for others. He then told me that I shouldn't take it out on him if I had had a bad day. I promptly point out that I had had a lovely day until he came into my life.

I am so proud of myself for not swearing at him mind you.

Is it me or should people give me the same courtesy I give them? I never park in a space if I think it is too close to another car. What if that person was disabled and needed help getting into their car? Or what if, heaven forbid, that person had a baby and needed room to get that baby in the car? The amount of room he left me I wouldn't have got my dog in there! Is it also me being unreasonable to expect strangers to be polite to each other, apologise if they cause offence in some way and treat others as they wish to be treated?

Rant over smile

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 22:05:15

It's been a fine week thanks.

Angle parkers hated by all it seems!

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 21:50:56

LOL@ Goldenbear asking whether someone else thinks their response was proportionate smile

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Jun-13 21:36:36

Golden have you had a bad week?

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 21:16:21

I'm not putting any blame on the mother?

You sound very angry about something of nothing. You 'hate' people who park at angles. Do you think that is a proportionate response?

Ok golden

I don't have the energy any more because you are determined to put all the blame on the poor mother with a child who couldn't get out of the car park.

But I hate people who park at angles so people cannot use the next bay properly.
It's inconsiderate, it is selfish and very twattish IMO

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Jun-13 21:01:47

confused

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 20:59:06

How can she have caused the whole thing? A man that is so quick to call someone a twat would not hesitate in blaming her if he thought that she was at fault but he didn't which suggests he was an inconsiderate, shit parker.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 20:09:00

No I didn't address the Inspector C comment to anyone but you were the first person to respond to it and yet you thought it was addressed to everyone.

And? I asked whether anyone had accused you of being the OP. how does that mean I am implying that you are? confused

No it's bizarre that you think the OP is entitled to park in a way that caused this whole thing.
And that she is then in the right to complain about the other person.
That is bizarre.

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 19:58:43

No I didn't address the Inspector C comment to anyone but you were the first person to respond to it and yet you thought it was addressed to everyone.

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 19:51:35

It's 'bizarre' that somebody thinks differently to you?

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 19:49:42

I did. LittleBearPad explained my response and found something equally quizzical about it.

You didn't. But ok.

It's bizarre tbh.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 19:36:46

Soup, you implied it, otherwise why would I suggest you were Inspector Clouseau? I just don't agree with you so distract from the point and imply I'm the OP- classic MN.

Er, no I didn't confused You've just put your own interpretation on something. If I thought you were the OP I would have said so.

And actually, you didn't address the Inspector Clouseau comment to anyone specifically. I am many things but I am not psychic or a mind reader.

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Jun-13 19:21:25

Yes, you said the OP parked inconsiderately because she anticipated the lack of consideration of others confused.

So if you expect other people to be inconsiderate then you can park however you like.

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 19:18:19

I did answer your question although why you feel I am obliged to do so is beyond me? You didn't like the answer and said I was being inconsiderate in being considerate or some such nonsensical response.

golden you are really going out of your way not to answer my question so I shall ask it agAin in case you missed it.

Do you think the OP was inconsiderate for parking her car the way she did? Because if she had not parked at an angle then this fiasco wouldn't have happened would it?

Goldenbear Fri 21-Jun-13 18:14:10

Littlebearpad, why do you care so much to keep making a counter point- it's just the same thing but I'm in the minority.

Soup, you implied it, otherwise why would I suggest you were Inspector Clouseau? I just don't agree with you so distract from the point and imply I'm the OP- classic MN.

MortifiedAdams Fri 21-Jun-13 17:48:14

OP if you had to lift the carseat in, then presumably it wasnt IN the car as an indicator of there being a baby in the car.

HaveTeaWillSurvive Fri 21-Jun-13 17:44:32

Oh dear, regardless of what the van driver did or didn't do I'm afraid you'll have to get used to this as not everywhere has parent and child parking / decent sized spaces. Don't park at an angle - this would really piss me off and what if it stops someone else being able to use the space next to you? VU I think.

What I do is park at the end or next to a pillar wherever possible or squeeze DS in the driver side and pull out then move him over.

mum11970 Fri 21-Jun-13 17:36:47

For crying out loud, from what the op describes it sounds like the van driver had reversed in his bay and the op was parked bonnet in, and was considerate enough to leave room for the driver on his other side to get in his car. It is damn impossible to leave ample space on both sides and it makes more sense to leave room for a guaranteed driver to get in than a possible passenger.

plainjaney Fri 21-Jun-13 17:34:56

lol Fanny, yes I guess it does depend on your ride height as well, you are quite low in a Yaris.
As I said though if I see dangly things in the windows and blinds I avoid, but it is just because I'd rather not get a dent.
Most of the time I head for the back of any car park out of the way anyway. Always seems less hassle.

When mine were small I didn't have a seat you took out and if someone parked next to me I became an expert at tucking small wriggling child under an armpit and swinging them into the backseat from the drivers seat. I'd lean over the seat and fasten them in that way but it was rare as even then I'd head for the back of the car park.

FannyMcNally Fri 21-Jun-13 17:28:01

I see your point janey, that's a big seat! and I'd probably see more if I drove a bigger car. Sitting in my Yaris, I can't see above most other cars' door handles let alone through the windows!

LittleBearPad Fri 21-Jun-13 17:26:41

But this might mean you're actually way over to the left or right of the space based on where the existing cars are. When they leave you could still look massively inconsiderate.

And once again. Was it not inconsiderate to park at an angle?
Is it inconsiderate to block someone from actually getting their vehicle out because you are pissed off?

Is it really inconsiderate to park a van in a parking space within the white lines?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now