To think the sample girls pack from the school nurse was totally inappropriate.

(259 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Sun 16-Jun-13 17:45:48

Dd wanted a private talk this morning. Turns out that in Friday they had the puberty talk and were given a pack. Except they ran out of time so no time to discuss how to use the products.

There were a couple of always panty liners, three Always towels a normal one, a night one and a "silk" one. They were huge. I can't see dd bring able to wear a leotard in one of those.

Then there were two Tampax Compact (the ones with plastic applicators) one Regular Yellow one & one green Super one. As if a year 6 child will be able to insert one if those. When I was at school we were given a same of the special lites ones. They could put her off for life.

Luckily I had anticipated this and a couple of months ago bought a lovely little make up style case by Lillets contains various if their teen products. Smaller child sized towels but that are supposed to be extra absorbent and small easier to insert tampons.

I know they were free samples but really!!'n

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Sun 16-Jun-13 17:56:38

TBH I would have been incredibly glad to have those! Not the big towels for wearing a leotard but presumably your DD doesn't only wear leotards.

We got given the pink ones and they lasted about half an hour, which made me feel awful. If someone had bothered to tell me they went up to super plus I would have had a much more comfortable year 8!

I really don't understand your problem.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 16-Jun-13 17:57:18

I've just googled- seems Tampax don't make those first tampons anymore. They do a Lite one though.

I remember having the puberty talk and free tampon samples in yr6. It's not a new thing surely. Why should they not have all options available to them?

QueenStromba Sun 16-Jun-13 17:57:41

I was using super plus at the age of 12.

ToysRLuv Sun 16-Jun-13 17:58:42

My first period was probably the worst so far. Lots and lots of blood and other stuff (TMI).

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 16-Jun-13 17:59:28

Dd will wear a leotard every day next year so its probably going to be important that she gets used to tampons as soon as she is able.

blobandsnail Sun 16-Jun-13 17:59:47

This has to be some kind of joke surely? YABVU and a little bit weird to even think this much about it.

By the title of the thread I was expecting there to be condoms and a copy of the karma sutra included in the pack, not just some sanitary products you're not really a fan of!

nooka Sun 16-Jun-13 18:00:10

The teen ranges are all pretty new, so whilst it might be nice if a sample pack was teen orientated I don't think it is something to be in any way outraged by. Obviously there is a bit of a marketing opportunity being missed there (dd uses Always slender, so they do have a product they could be flogging).

HollyBerryBush Sun 16-Jun-13 18:00:27

We had the puberty talk in Y8, Miss Biology teacher got out various products and a girl bolted for the science lab door, turned green and copiously threw up. That was the end of that. We sniggered like only teenage girls do.

I think My Guy and Jackie taught me everything I needed to know grin

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 16-Jun-13 18:00:37

I'm not objecting to the samples per se. I just expected that they would be given the teen products especially as kids are getting younger & younger.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 16-Jun-13 18:01:30

Tampax had a teen range in 1988.

ParadiseChick Sun 16-Jun-13 18:01:34

I started my period the summer before primary 7. Was awful.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 16-Jun-13 18:01:52

AFAIR (1980s), the Tampax light ones were slimmer (a bit).

I think that girls should be advised/given sample of a lubricant as well. That would help girls to not be put off.

annie

why? - health reasons or something else?

I used tampons from my second period. I always worried a lot about towels showing, leaking or moving and they felt like wearing a nappy (they were thicker in those days, but I still don't think I'd use them)

roundtheback Sun 16-Jun-13 18:02:02

What's with fainting Holly???

I was 11 when I had my first period and was by no means the first in my class. They were never particularly light either....

I also can't see the problem here. The size of sanitary protection required is to do with flow, not age.

FantasticMax Sun 16-Jun-13 18:02:03

Just be grateful she's had the talk! I was off sick the day I was supposed to have mine and lo and behold, the day my period came I was so scared I burst into tears!

I still have no idea how I got to be 13 and didn't truly understand what a period was.

Jengnr Sun 16-Jun-13 18:03:09

What's the problem?

And why wouldn't you want a 10 year old to try a tampon if she needs one anniepanniepears?

nooka Sun 16-Jun-13 18:03:52

My dd also started off with pretty heavy periods. Like many younger girls she was not at all comfortable with the idea of using tampons, of any size, and it's taken her a while to think that the positives outweigh the negatives (I don't use them either).

Bunbaker Sun 16-Jun-13 18:04:07

DD didn't get given any samples when they had the "talk"

HollyBerryBush Sun 16-Jun-13 18:04:40

round Y6 just seems so awfully young for adult matters.

Shakirasma Sun 16-Jun-13 18:04:52

The teen products are no different to the rest of the range, just packaged more discretely.

She is not obliged to use the samples, in fact they may even be out of date before she starts her periods. If you and she would prefer a different brand or design, just go and buy her some. This sort of thing is really your job, with back up from the school. It's not the schools responsibility to tell them what sanitary wear they must use, it's just a suggestion.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 16-Jun-13 18:06:16

Holly

It isn't "adult" matters though, really, it's biological matters.

I do feel sorry for girls who start young, though. Mostly because I remember how terribly painful mine were when they first started

Shakirasma Sun 16-Jun-13 18:06:36

Holly

My middle dd is year 5 and several of her peers already have periods, year 6 is certainly not young!

Jengnr Sun 16-Jun-13 18:06:44

Periods are teenage matters not adult matters Holly

Blissx Sun 16-Jun-13 18:07:13

I started my periods in Year 6. This is a step forward in educating young girls who could be about the start their periods but parents think they may be too young to know about how to use towels and tampons. It prompted a conversation you had been delaying with your DD did it not?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now