To be mildly irritated at being told to use free range eggs

(133 Posts)
Kungfutea Sun 16-Jun-13 02:54:50

So many recipes sanctimoniously say to use free range eggs. Nothing else is free range and there seems to be no concern for the welfare of any other animals.

Obviously eggs from caged hens would work just as well, people don't buy free range for the flavour (at least I don't notice a difference).

I know, not a big deal (and as it happens I do always buy free range and we try to buy humanely farmed other animal products) but I do find it a little irritating and a bit hypocritical for a recipe to specifically state that free range eggs should be used. Leave the ethical decisions to me, thanks. Aibu?

Uh, I could weigh in with my own perspective but methinks its a moot point, I'm irish and around my area at least I can see the animals I'm getting my milk, cheese and eggs from by looking out my bedroom window. They look happy enough as long as I'm not taking shortcuts through their fields.

Free range and organic eggs do make a palpable difference to the quality of your cakes. The few times I had to use cheap eggs in a pinch, my cakes came out paler, tougher and went stale faster.

Plus if you go to America where so much produce is factory farmed, you can see it before you taste it. The shells on the eggs are white, the butter is beige and runny and tastes of nothing, the cheese is like plastic. They put cilantro on everything to cover up the taste of banality.

PoppettyPing Sun 16-Jun-13 21:05:53

So just because we "matter" more than animals, we don't need to give a flying fuck about how they're treated? Why is it so hard to have a scrap of compassion for another living creature?

WMittens Sun 16-Jun-13 22:02:54

PrincessTeacake

Plus if you go to America where so much produce is factory farmed, you can see it before you taste it. The shells on the eggs are white,

The shell colour is down to the breed of the chicken that laid it, not the quality of the egg or the quality of the care they've received.

KobayashiMaru Sun 16-Jun-13 22:07:17

you only use a couple of eggs a week> Don't you bake for your children? Tut tut.

Right so organic eggs tend to be ok? When I find someone locally who keeps chickens then I buy eggs but at the moment there's no one

RoooneyMara Mon 17-Jun-13 10:27:04

No, I very rarely bake for my children. You try it with a small baby on one arm. It's a bit hazardous.

Oh just pop her in the bouncy chair and she'll gurgle happily while watching you.
<ducks the flying eggs>
Hey, are they free range?

I am currently making a recipe which requires "extra virgin olive oil". Fine, but that's in addition to "olive oil".
Are they really that different?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now